WHAT ZEDS ARE IN TASMANIA?

Hunter

Tassie ZEDS I have seen:

I will take some photos one day.

WEST COAST TASMANIA

An old bloke owns a purple 260Z 2+2, he used to be my push bike mechanic when I used to race. it is straight bar a small dent on the back corner, but in desperate need of a polish or new paint job. vented bonnet and did have a front spoiler.

This car is probably what made me fall in love with the ZEDS, that and the old BISON Scalectrics car I had.

I have two 260Z 2+2's, One is rusty with a L28ET and the other a orange original which has some panel damage and blown big ends at the moment.

NORTH WEST TASMANIA

A Light Blue 240Z, with a 3.1 stroker and tripple webbers, fully welded in roll cage, fully race prepared also with rally timer in it. paint looks a bit rough.

WEST COAST TASMANIA

240Z , smick metalic maroon paint, custom flares and side skirts fully seemless and same colour as body, engine is not going but original. Interior is shmick.

LAUNCESTON TASMANIA

Orange 240Z with black bonnet, seen it drive past not sure what it has in it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine is located in the Huon Valley

Other Z's I know of in the Huon Valley include this early 240Z:

http://www.garagepanda.com/images/07rnd4/31.jpg

It has quite a quick N/A L28 and runs in Targa C in the Super Series.  The owner also has a 2+2 260Z and has just purchased a V8 powered Z (another 240Z I think but I haven't seen it yet).

There's another guy from the Huon Valley who has a 260Z 2+2 and an imaculately restored 240Z with an L28 and a few other minor modifications.  The effort that has gone into this car is amazing.  His son also has a restored 240Z but I haven't seen this car yet.

In the Hobart area I've seen a very tidy original looking 260Z 2+2 where I park my car to walk to work each day.  Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's being garaged so I don't know if it'll stay that way.

I've heard of a few other tidy original cars lurking in garages that don't see daylight.

NATONE TASMANIA

A Light Blue 240Z, with a 3.1 stroker and tripple webbers, fully welded in roll cage, fully race prepared also with rally timer in it. paint looks a bit rough.

I think there's photos of this car on the NWCC web site.  It's a gravel rally car right?

LAUNCESTON TASMANIA

Orange 240Z with black bonnet, seen it drive past not sure what it has in it.

I think I saw this on the hill at Baskerville at the last round of the super series.  I only saw it from a long way away but it looked pretty cool.

On a side note.

Probably pays not to get too specific about locations on these kind of threads.  My car lives in a very secure location but others may be vulnerable to theft if the wrong person reads this.

Point taken with the locations, all the cars mentioned are secured away anyway.

Yes the 240Z is a gravel rally car, and is on the NWCC site.

Thanks for the feedback.

well im up on the northwest coast of tassie but car hasnt been out of my drive for bit over 3 years well might have made it out on to the culdersack few times recently but has no exhaust hoping to fix that in next couple weeks

mick

well when picture was taken it was running nissan v8 the older y44 motor and celica 5 speed gearbox

New engine is ls1 5.7 ltr v8 from hsv clubsport complete with 6 speed box and r200 lsd diff have driven it few times just finishing off few items before hitting the road for first good drive

mick

Elph bought my 1989 300ZX TT Z32 a few months ago

he is putting it in targa next year. He wanted to buy my 260Z's off me but I wanted to keep them

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

bought my zed few months ago, faded browny bronze colour, Tim had it advertised on here for 4900, but got it for 3600 so i was stoked, its just got a l28 twin carb's, 5sp . keen to get her restored, needs a respray, and some wider rims. can anyone suggest a good place to get it tuned, also diff has a wine so on the hunt for a new one. cheers guys

Welcome to the forum Nozzle.  What area of Tasmania are you from?  I'll send you a PM with the number of a guy that has heeeeeaps of Z parts.  The diff isn't likely to bust any time soon, they're very strong.  But if you're sick of the noise and want to replace it then this guy should have one  ;)

South hobart mate, yeah I'm loving the z already, yeah noise doesn't bother me,just turn the stezza up. Changed the oil in it the other day, filled it with some thick stuff. should get a datto cruise/meet happening sometime, i know a couple of boys that would be keen! 

Check out this forum if you haven't already

http://datsunownerstas.proboards79.com/

A few guys are planning to meet up at the MCCT club day at Baskerville this weekend.  One of the forum members is having a run there.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it or not but there should be a few friendly Datsun enthusiasts there :)

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy guy's,

I was digging though some photo's and found one of the mighty Mick in action at a clubday.....a little while ago!!! I'm very glad you kept the Zed Mick and sold those silly wankels. I'm looking foward to seeing it in action with the LS-1, they are a magic motor!

post-1057-144023498449_thumb.jpg

thats awhile ago nice to see the old girl in action gonna miss having the bug catcher on with the new motor be more of a sleeper lol though have thought of a way i might be able to put the bug catcher with the ls1 but ill get it running right first

hoping to beat my brake issue this week and get some miles on new motor

thanks for showing the pic

mick

Hi Guys.  My girlfriend is set on getting a 240 or 260Z....  So now I've got to find one and get building.  Or find a mint body- silver 240/60 and re do the inside and motor (she want's a VH45!).  I'll be back from europe in December till late January I'd say, so if anyone had/knows of a decent 240/60 forsale please let me know.

Cheers

Justin

Hi Guys.  My girlfriend is set on getting a 240 or 260Z....  So now I've got to find one and get building.  Or find a mint body- silver 240/60 and re do the inside and motor (she want's a VH45!).  I'll be back from europe in December till late January I'd say, so if anyone had/knows of a decent 240/60 forsale please let me know.

Cheers

Justin

Justin

Your girlfriend has good taste. You will be lucky to find one in Tassie, I think there was a 260Z 2+2 in Evandale not long ago it wa on ebay and from memory had a VG30DE in it.

Make sure you read the forums etc. I think there is someone doing a VH45 conversion now.

Me personally would stick with the L series engine which you can get up to 2.8L in. If you stroke it with a diesel crank your looking at 3.1L-3.2L.

Or go an RB25DET or RB26DETT good strong engines with grunt and also keeps the inline six of the original zed cars.

Goodluck with it

Hunter

do know of  240z with flares and front and rear spoilers in metalic red here and hot l28 here in devonport guy has been trying to sell on and off for while now wants around $12,000 if its still as good as last time i saw it id say its worth it

id give lot thought to the vh45 install not sure how robstar is going with his but still looks lot work to me can help you with LS1 chev and 6 speed conversion 300 kw and lots after market gear to be had if u want more hp lot easier way to get a injected v8 into a zed but thats my view

let me know if you want to follow up local 240z

by the way bluerat still have the rotary bug just put rx4 back in shed (it usually sits under a gum tree till next race meet the rx4 that is) with zed lol but the zed is my first love had it for over 20 years now keep saying ill sell the rotary when i get the zed back on road but the closer it gets the harder it is to part with the old chook cooker lol

mick

Oh well Mick, as long as you still have the Zed, ha, ha. I've got a few photo's of the RX-4, both on and off the gravel, PM me your email and I'll send them on, I won't dare put them up on this fine website!!!!

Also there's a young bloke here with a very tidy dark metallic blue 240(260) with silver 'Cobra' stripes here on the coast, I dont know any more other than it sounds good.

I wonder how Scando is going today?? He will have HQ fever after this weekend!!