Sign in to follow this  
Hunter

DOES YOUR GEAR STICK FEEL SLOPPY?

I can remember reading a post years ago on ozdat.com. I have been trying to find it with no luck.

In that post it explained how to replace the bushes that are on the pin and at the bottom of the stick, with a copper bushes and washers.

I actually went to my local Nissan dealer (7) years back and ordered a new set of white plastic OEM bushes. They did not cost me much and my gearbox felt like new. These parts can be replaced with the gear box still in the car.

Just think with over 30 years of use these plastic parts have not been replaced.

Just some food for thought  :D

Here is an ebay listing for the brass bushing. (US $9.99)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-NISSAN-BRASS-SHIFTER-BUSHINGS-240Z-260Z-280Z-E_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33736QQihZ001QQitemZ110268012565QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Here is one for the plastic bushing (US $7.99)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-510-610-710-B210-Auto-Trans-Shifter-Bushings-NOS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46101QQihZ011QQitemZ320270001270QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The picture below shows where the plastic bushes and the end cap are on the gear stick. You may even be able to still order these OEM parts from NISSAN AUSTRALIA.

NOTE: picture is a datsun stick just not a zed car stick.

post-930-144023490374_thumb.jpg

The nylon bushes are still available from Nissan..........brass bushes are Ok in a race car but can transmit gearbox noise in a road car and rattle and vibrate ...........and become a pain in the neck.

When you say sloppy, do you mean for example you'll put it into gear and the stick will return to the centre position? my gearbox is doing this and i'm worried

That is how your gearbox is meant to operate when in neutral. It is self centering.

It should stay in the general direction of each gear if you select one.

I found this how to on brass bushings, you could also replace with nylon bushes.

The only gear stick I have seen is the ones with the single hole, not the plastic insert and spring.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/shifterbushing/index.html

Just replaced bush,s last weekend with brass ones from ebay usa .Took about 15mins

the brass bushs need to be filed with a rats tail file and a flat file to refit.

Good as new now very happy ;D

pauly mrz240