What Gearboxs Fit

C.A.R.

• 2 years later...

Hi all I have 4speed manual datsun 200b I want to put a 5speed in it I know it can be done I found a ca20 5speed box I just want to know if that will fit into a 200b it not for me it for my dad I brought the car and fix it and working it thanks for you time

Hi all I have 4speed manual datsun 200b I want to put a 5speed in it I know it can be done I found a ca20 5speed box I just want to know if that will fit into a 200b it not for me it for my dad I brought the car and fix it and working it thanks for you time

CA20 five speed will not bolt up.

Get yourself a five speed from a mid 1980's Nissan running an L series engine.

Any one of them. It'll be a longer overall, you'll need to get your tailshaft shortened, and possibly the gearbox crossmember where it mounts to floorpan may need to have new holes drilled up throgh floor. Use metal plate on inside of cabin, bit f carpet over it to hide, and fit a couple of rubber grommets to old holes.

Your 200b 4 speed box is not very desirable, maybe the bellhousing could be used?

I thought the 180B and 200B ran the longer box that fitted the Bluebird and the Bluebird box fitted the 260Z. (I know that because I fitted one).

The short box was on the 510 1600 and I fitted a 5 speed (not sure what it was out of) with the alpha pattern (1st where 2nd normally is). This fitted in length wise and the only mod was a longer hole in the floor and maybe a modified rear cross member (I fitted it +30 years ago so am not too sure).

I did the same mod on both of the 1600's I had.  It was the Stanza 5 speed that had reverse to the left and up.  I seem to remember that the only work involved was a slight enlargement of the hole in the tunnel and the cross member was just turned around.

Worked well with a 4.4 ratio R180 with the planetaries welded.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't think it was mentioned above but i have split a Bluebird 5 speed last week and the input shaft bearing was the same size as the RB SR box..

all i had to do was reamer the shifter shaft hole out to 16mm. I was pretty happy to discover this !

It is the front lower ( countershaft) brg, that is different.

Input brgs are all same size.

It is the front lower ( countershaft) brg, that is different.

Input brgs are all same size.

oops wrong shaft, thanks for clarifiying.

both the bearings in the L housing i have were the same size as the RB housing

• 8 months later...