RB30DET 240Z Circuit Car

I thought the webbing was cut out.....That is what the difference is....I wasn't sure if it was another inlet manifold or modified.

Makes it sooooo much easier to get the nuts tight on the manifold.  I remember getting the manifold onto my old R30 Skyline was an absolute nightmare!

In other news, my car is now engineer approved and registered on special interest registration  ;)

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Might be able to come for a cruise with you guys on the next tassie tour now  :)

Haven't noticed any cracking.  The prevoous owner did the modifications on the manifold many many years ago so I assume it would have cracked by now if it was going to.  I think the webbing is there more as a heat sheild than for structual reasons?

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this video on youtube.  It's incar footage from one of the R32's I race against from round 4 race 1 at Symmons Plains following me.  You can all laugh at my massive understeer and then oversteer through the hairpin for the first couple of laps.

• Moderators

Hahaha...didn't look that bad at all! That R32 catches up to you a couple of times under brakes. Great run though...should be great to see and hear some in car footage in your zed...I wish they had starts like that in the MSCA events.

Yeah, looking at that I realise i was being a bit soft under brakes for the first couple of laps  ::)

The little cameras the guys are using are only $270 so I'm looking at getting one so I can post some in-car footage from the Z.  I've got a birthday coming up soon, might have to start dropping hints to family members  ;D

• 4 weeks later...

Had a wet final and worked out a little setup trick to make the car work in the wet with the locked diff.  Was about a second a lap quicker than any other 2wd car including the cars in the class above me  :)

Would that be the disconnect the front sway bar to really soften the front end up trick? That works a treat for me.

Would that be the disconnect the front sway bar to really soften the front end up trick? That works a treat for me.

That's the one  ;)

Last time I drove it in the wet it just wanted to go straight ahead at every corner with the welded diff.  With the front bar disconnected it was magic.

Would you get the same effect if you had an LSD fitted? I'm sure the LSD behaves the same as a locked diff under power..

Not really, with a locked diff even when you are under brakes it wants to push the car, where as most LSD's will effectively "freewheel" when not under power and will not push the car all the time.

A car with nuetral handling and open or LSD diff will have turn in understeer, and plenty of it, when fitted with a locked diff. To fix this I have set my car up accordingly, ie neutral handling with the locked diff. If I change to an open or LSD I would have to alter the set up my car so it won't be a huge oversteerer, not a small job as I don't have many adjustments. I'm a great believer in KISS and not allowing anyone to play with the car. I have it set up where I am happy with it and I can't really alter anything but shocks, as I run Koni adjustables and the general alignment, which is only checked and moved back to where it should be at the start of a season, or after a major off. My ride height is fixed by dropping the spring seats down the strut and re-welding them, giving me a fair drop in ride height, but still with the standard spring height and shock size to allow for effectively the full spring travel of a standard set up without carshing onto bump stops all the time.

For wet weather racing you generally a softer car, depending on the amount of water on the track and the time available to make the changes, I generally undo one side of the sway bay, I only run a front bar as I want the rear to wander a bit, and soften the shocks.

For wet weather racing you generally a softer car, depending on the amount of water on the track and the time available to make the changes, I generally undo one side of the sway bay, I only run a front bar as I want the rear to wander a bit, and soften the shocks.

I was going to disconnect my rear bar aswell for the wet but thought I'd give it a try with just the front bar disconnected first.  The car was putting the power down really well so i don't think I need to.  I do run fairly soft (by race standards) springs though.

• 1 month later...

Did a new PB for Symmons Plains on sunday with a 1:02.8576

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results.cgi?09/11/2008.SYMM.Q2

First time I've been under a 1:03 and I've been soooooooo close for a long time so it's good to finally do it.

Only finished 4th for the day but my main opposition in the series broke a hub early in the day so I've pretty much got the series wrapped up with a round to go.  Not the way I wanted to win it but I guess I'll take it.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great day at Baskerville yesterday winning the day and winning the series for the year.  I finished on the podium at all 7 rounds including 3 round wins.  There were over 20 different cars that ran throughout the year with usually about 10-12 at each round.  There were 4 different round winners and 9 different people had podium finishes throughout the year so it was a pretty close series!  Absolutly wrapped with the year and how's this for a stat.  In a field full of Skylines, Evos, Commodores, and many others, we were the most reliable car finishing every race (over 30 races for the year plus qualifying) with an L28ET, standard 280ZX box, standard tail shaft, welded R180, and standard uni joint drive shafts  :o

Now it looks like I have a busy summer of modifying ahead before next season  :)