Front Spoiler Colour; body colour or black???

Toecutter

I'm waiting for a front spoiler to arrive that I have bought from Ash(ZR240). I really like the ZG flares I have put on the car and they are gloss black on red Z. Desicion I need to make is wether to go with red paint on the spoiler or have it matching the flares in gloss black!?

hmmm...night have to play with photoshop to get an idea.

Thanks

Sulio

i'd go with the red, black would look alright but i think there's to much of a difference and red would make it more obvious so lower and cooler looking, you could always do like what the guy with the green one in sydney has done wtih the black line around the bottom of the spoiler. to photoshop the black spoiler the easiest way it to just desaturate it and then change the brightness, but then you dont get the coloured reflections...but this works well for matt black

hmmm the black looks more racey now that i look at them side by side more...i needa get mine painted properally :oops:

Thanks guys,

I'm leaning towards the black, even though stone chips might come up but does'nt matter only costs me about $100ish to get it resprayed if I get some bad chips in it. As soon as Ash has it ready I'll mount it up, get all the holes drilled in it and spray it matt black from a can just to get an idea of what I'm in for.

I think red does give it a lower look though.

hmmm...desicions desicions! :roll:

Sulio

• 2 weeks later...

Ah your photoshopping is clearly better than mine. I've asked the paint shop to go black. Pics of unpainted front spoiler and rear BRE fin below. The rear fin has a flat section for a badge. I've seen people use this space for either a FAIRLADY badge or a BRE badge. Not sure what would look better. I like the FAIRLADY badge purely because it always throws people when they check the car out. I beleive Ash has got some steel FAIRLADY badges from Japan. Hmmm...I'll have to see if he can make some copies. It would be easy enough to make moulds for them but what material would you use to make the actual badges. There must be some sort of resin one could use!??????

post-4-144023468972_thumb.jpg

post-4-144023468981_thumb.jpg

thats going to look nice, i reakon you should take the verticle bits off your bumpers to make it look cleaner and meaner, and then post some really large pics (1440 X 900 atleast) of your car in a nice location, i need a new background :D

if you can get the old school fairlady badges copied i'd be interested in a set as they look nice, i was thinking of just getting the 350z ones off ebay for the sides of my car, if your thinking of getting the carbon mirrors they might go nicely, and then if i got that rear spoiler i was thinking of sanding that flat bit so its curved like the rest of it and having no badge, but it is cool having people walk past your car then come back after reading the badge and going "IS THIS A DATSUN?!?!" hehe

After all the umming and arrring I ended up asking the beater to go red on the front spoiler and black on the rear fin. Looking at the rear fin and visualizing it in black I thought it would have much of the car looking black. Any how I guess I'll find out how it looks soon enough. I've changed my mind about 5 times now changing from red to black and back again.

Evan, I did'nt even think about the over riders but I would'nt take them off unless I had another set of reconditioned bars with no holes which would cost me about $440 for the front and back. Another option is to get them in fibreglass but they would have to be black then.

By the way Evan you can't sand off the flat section on the rear fin because the fibreglass is only about 3mm thin and the flat spot rises about 10mm. I've decided to get 3 fairladyZ badges made up. 2 for the sides and 1 for the rear fin. I looked closely at Ash's badges and put one up against the car and it looked great.

Hi

Glad to hear you decided on Red and I guess the rear spoiler won't take much to paint later if you do not like it.

Actually I think your car looks fabulous with the normal valance panel, but each to his own.

When mine is completed I am reverting to the normal valance panel.

Warren

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the comps. I have liked the naked front look for ages and if I did'nt have the flares I'd actually prefer the stock valance as I think it suits the car quite well although Nigel has shown us that a front spoiler can look great minus the other bits.

Looking at your pics you've really got stuck into it. How far from finishing the car are you? I assume you've decided to go the full respray.

Sulio

Evan, I did'nt even think about the over riders but I would'nt take them off unless I had another set of reconditioned bars with no holes which would cost me about $440 for the front and back. Another option is to get them in fibreglass but they would have to be black then.

Where was that from, and is that for the pair, or each? And do you need to trade old ones in? That sounds like a good deal to me, especially since I need new bumpers, and I want ones without overriders :P

And if you do take off the over riders, I'd be more than glad to talk to you about purchasing them from you

Over riders are probably the best bits on my bumpers, have all the rubbers on (although a bit dried up/cracked), and the chrome is in pretty good condition, should come up good with a polish (Externally at least, I'd have to have a look behind them if you were interested), so theres another source if you wanted....

Ben,

I deal with a lot of platers through work and I've been quoted about $220 per bar for reco. Yes you would have to supply your own bars for reconditioning. If your interested give me a call and I'll get a firm quote and time for work to be done for.

Cheers

Sulio

Hi Suilio,

To answer your question above. I have come to a halt as I am having trouble finding someone within a reasonable proximity to Kensington who wants to paint the car from bare metal.

I also want them to fit the new door skins after I have remove the old ones and rust proofed the door frames and also replace the drivers side floor pan.

I have been side track for the last 3 weeks test driving 350Z's. I ended up buying a 2004 model with 15,000Km's on the clock from a dealer in South Australia and drove it back on the 17th. Hard to keep to the speed limit. At least I have a Zed to drive around in while the other is being worked on.

Anyway I can now focus hunting down a good painter and crash repairer. May split the work if that will help.

Cheers

Warren

Well, congratulations Warren. Sounds like your going to have the best of both worlds. Looking forward to seeing both the new car and the S30 once painted.

I bought some fish oil in a spray can the other day. After applying it to some of my undercarriage I coulod see how it would keep the rust away, that stuff forms quite a layer and sticks well too.

Cheers

Sulio

Well, congratulations Warren. Sounds like your going to have the best of both worlds. Looking forward to seeing both the new car and the S30 once painted.

I bought some fish oil in a spray can the other day. After applying it to some of my undercarriage I coulod see how it would keep the rust away, that stuff forms quite a layer and sticks well too.

Cheers

Sulio