aircobra

just can't get the doorglass to line up

Question

Posted (edited)

hi all,

spend the best part of 4 hours trying to line up the glass on the left door and just can;t get it right. it laves about 5 mm gap on the back side of the frame

i worked that the main positioning piece is the guiderail at the front of the door, with the holes having plenty of adjustment. no matter if i slide it to the forward or the back position ( or any tilts in between), it either jams half way down or slides easily but leaves a gap

i've checked all the bolts on the frame, the window winder rails, etc and they all seem to line up 

is there some sort of a trick to this?

ps. i'll post a pic in the morning. for now. i better walk away from the garage before i set the whole thing on fire

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

Edited by aircobra

7 answers to this question

When I was putting my driver’s door back together (passengers not done yet) recently I had a similar problem. I resolved it by loosening off all of the runner and sash bolts. The runner that the window regulator runs on and the runner or slide that the window glass slides on (at the front of the door) plus the sash mounting to allow the sash to move a bit. I wound the window up and pushed the glass into position snugly. Then wound the window up tight. Then returned and tightened all of the runner/slide  and sash bolts into position. Photos are of the instructions from the manual that I read after doing the work.

Jeff

IMG_6693(2).thumb.jpg.6b89d10c02d0aef75c98455e85fe33ef.jpg

IMG_6692(2).thumb.jpg.9b45782ee94370bf388eeaa0038a2767.jpg

right, the adjstable bits are #1 and #3 on BF-32

that's the ones i'm fiddling with

just noticed that you got to put in the roller and the outside trim on first

i ll take a couple more shots

It looks to me as if you have them in the correct spot. I suggest you wind the window down a little, loosen off the front slide. Grab the window glass through the door and lift the front of it up so the back edge of the glass is parallel with the rear of the window sash. Then secure the slide, wind the window up and tighten everything up. The problem is that the glass is down at the front.

Jeff

ok, some progress

took the car to a decent mechanic here in gardenvale and he messed with it and couldn't get in any better

his theory is that it needs new rollers. i had a look at the rollers and its hard to tell if they;re worn. certainly until the glass skews, they work nice and smooth

looking at the design of the mechanism, i'm not convinced that exact clearance of the wheel in the channel make a difference

so that leaves me 2 theories

1. the plastic slider inserts at the front of the glass are worn out. once again, its a hard to tell , but they are on the sloppy side when you jiggle them. once again, hard to tell how critical the free play is

2. the felt is the problem. it has a new set from zcardepot, which looks to be pretty good quality and made for the car. its possible that the  felt is thinner then the original and that is causing the skew

i agree that the root cause is that the glass is down at the front, but the only way to re-align in is to tilt the front channel.  which is what i've tried doing within the limits of the holes

The factory service manuals have some advice on this. They say that the 'tilt' of the glass can be adjusted via the short sash. In my experience, mixing and matching parts from different cars, it can sometimes be necessary to elongate the holes in the door pressing to allow the short sash a little extra adjustability.

Factory manual recommends adjusting the short sash 'up' or 'down' in its holes, but keeping it parallel with the holes. ie, not 'clocking' it.

FSM door glass adj.jpg