Mike260LW

Liquimoly 12 Hour Historic Production Sports Cars (Group S) support

If you are interested, here is the coverage of the final Group S – Historic Production Sports Car race on Saturday.  I’m in the Orange (with blue stripe) Datsun 260 Z #48 and came 11th. Steve Smith is in the Blue (with white stripe) 280Z came a very commendable 5th in this race! And Gavan Dearie from Vic come in 18th in the Yellow 260Z.  Group S were one of the four support categories to Liquimoly Bathurst 12 Hour race at Mount Panorama. We had practice (20 mins.), qualifying (20 mins.) and Race 1 (30 mins or 10 laps) on Thursday and then Race 2 and Race 3 (both 30 mins or 10 laps) on Friday and Saturday respectively. This is the first  Group S event for my car after a five year build.  I bought it as a rusty stripped shell (1974) with all the unrestored bits in boxes and some boxes missing.  We were chasing brakes all weekend and I’m still learning to drive this car which is very different to the webered tarmac rally Z. Was 27th in practice, qualified 17th, came 16th in Race 1, 13th in Race 2 and finished 11th in Race 3 (Final)

The Group S race starts at 0.51 mins. Into the telecast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCGbCXVIbVY&t=2s

I saw you fiddling with your brakes on Friday Mike, but I didn't realize it was you(!), so I went and had a chin-wag with Geisty...
The '74 looks very clean!

1 hour ago, RLY240 said:

Do I spy Jon and Gina in the crowd after the race?4A0FD196-14F2-430A-8216-D1ED9A6A8251.thumb.jpeg.c11d4970ecf4133f4e077f61dcf83205.jpeg

Yes, Mr and Mrs Siddins were there spectating and came and said hello in the pits

5 hours ago, Léon said:

I saw you fiddling with your brakes on Friday Mike, but I didn't realize it was you(!), so I went and had a chin-wag with Geisty...
The '74 looks very clean!

Thanks, sorry I missed saying hello. It was never ending fiddling with brakes. Trying to get the rears to do their fair share but wanted to creep up on it and not go full crank on the bias valve and end up with rears locking up first. I think we are pretty close. Now have to find a better front pad compound. 

Steve Smith did very well, much faster than the person who used to own the 280Z LOL. Thought that the start was great, p cars attacking p cars for a change, sort of like a mass suicide.

Yes, very good Mike, your result is quite an achievement  

sorry I missed you guys up there, I didn’t arrive till midday Saturday. I did see Steve driving the other way somewhere near Sunny Corner.

i also got to catch up quickly with Lurch, good to see you Mate 

cracking weekend overall, great weather, plenty of beers and great cars .

7 hours ago, hmd said:

Mike,

You did exceptionally well for first outing.

Very envious.

Thanks Hung, kind words indeed. It's all about the brakes isn't it. You don't realise how much corner speed you can carry until you run out of brakes!

3 hours ago, Cozza said:

Yes, very good Mike, your result is quite an achievement  

sorry I missed you guys up there, I didn’t arrive till midday Saturday. I did see Steve driving the other way somewhere near Sunny Corner.

i also got to catch up quickly with Lurch, good to see you Mate 

cracking weekend overall, great weather, plenty of beers and great cars .

Thanks Cozza, but we had to do the "Harold Holt" to get back to Brizzy so we were on the trailer as soon as Saturday's race was run. It was a cracking weekend and the GT cars were awesome. Great result for young Warwick lad Matty Campbell. He's there purely on talent. Bumped into his mum who was staying in the campsite!