SR20 Conversion Thread

cRAYzed

I am surprised I cannot find an SR into s30 thread as I know there are a few floating around!! If anyone out there is reading this and has a nice little SR sitting in their engine bay why dont you write up how you did it, what were the problems you encountered and also chuck up some pics!! Something step by step would be great - a little too time consuming for most I imagine!!

Any help here would be great!

-Rayray

P.S- (I have searched and found nothing that matches this description - I am sure there are threads out there but if there are shouldnt they be in this section?)

http://www.thezgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222&highlight=sr20det

The guys name is Nick and his in NSW. i believe he is also on AusZcar with same user ID. contact him for details his SR20det conversion is work of art.

or he probably post on this as well.

its probably an easier conversion than the RB.

i have seen another Sr20det in a 240z in SA but my cd that i had the pics burnt on to died. but that wasnt as impressive as Nick's engine brakets.

I have seen HybridZ and also checked out the vilidini mounts etc... there is also another company called Mckinny who do mounts for anyone interested.. But I was more interested in the conversion process etc... There are heaps of threads like this for other cars and engine swaps. It would give people like me the confidence to do it ourselves... Then stuff it up ourselves. ahhah

but yea anyway if anyone knows where I can find a conversion thread that explains the conversion with detail I would be real interested!! (I am also looking for one on the RB25det if anyone knows wheere there is one of those??)

Thanks anyway guys!

-Rayray

• Administrators

I have seen HybridZ and also checked out the vilidini mounts etc... there is also another company called Mckinny who do mounts for anyone interested.. But I was more interested in the conversion process etc... There are heaps of threads like this for other cars and engine swaps. It would give people like me the confidence to do it ourselves... Then stuff it up ourselves. ahhah

but yea anyway if anyone knows where I can find a conversion thread that explains the conversion with detail I would be real interested!! (I am also looking for one on the RB25det if anyone knows wheere there is one of those??)

Thanks anyway guys!

-Rayray

I did get in contact with Vilidini Motorsport regarding featuring their lovely SR20 Z on this site. I might remind them again and try and get them to provide some details on the SR20 swap itself. I think that would be a really useful article and as you say would help others who want to go through the process.

RB20/25/30 conversion have been done numerous times and explained on this forum and others. its almost an old hat.

SR20DET is even easier than RB. only hard bit is making the engine brackets and positioning the motor correctly.

in both cases tailshaft has to be made/modified/shortened etc......

also in both cases you have to plumb in the intercooler piping. on this forum alone i think theres about 5 different ways of doing this.

Fuel pump has to be replaced with high pressure high flow. being a carby fuel tank there arent any baffles inside. so u have to have a lift pump and also recomended a surge tank. other option is a custom fuel tank with internal pump.

in the RB20/25/30 case

first thing you have to do is get the sump rotated so the bowl sits at the back of the engine. few ways of doing this.

1. buy a 200zr Z31 fairlady Z sump and oil pick up. and fit it. cost about $650 new from nissan.

2. cut and rotate weld the sump back. still need the 200zr oil pick up. also need to slightly bend it to fit correctly.

3. Rb30 sump out of GQ patrol. the extension tank of the sump needs to be removed due to low clearance issues. again the oil pick up is needed.

once that is sorted out than you can start thinking about mounting it.

again theres more than one way of doing this

1. this is what i did to my RB20DET into a 260z 2+2. Used factory R32 mounts and brackets. sloted the factory x member to replicate similar setup as on R32 cross member. also u can level the engine lot easier. pretty much than the whole thing bolts up. the factory gearbox mount /bracket will align up to the 260Z tranny bracket and mounts.

only issues with this engine sits bit forward. not more than L series engines. so ive redrilled new holes both on the brackets as far backwards as possible. both the engine holes and engine mount. this pushed the engine backwards about 1' or 25.4mm. by doing this the tranny mount no longer aligns up. than you have to make a custom trany mount. or reposition the z tranny bracket by the right amount.

2. buy a kit from a shop with engine brackets and mounts. than again im not sure where these kits position the engine and if you need to reposition the tranny bracket.

On the tunnel due to RB box stick position being lot closer to the engine u have to remove the extra plate that is spot welded on the tunnel.

to further help with this issues u could use SR20det stick housing and shift block. that pushes the stick back by another 15mm or so. alternatively could get those ebay short shift kits that have the housing together with the stick. but you steel need to buy the extended shift block from nissan.

i think i pretty much said all what need to be done mechanicaly to convert to RB SR.

again with SR being a 4cyl theres ample room in front for V setups for intercooler/ radiator.

after that is the wiring issues. there are few tricks and tips when using factory wiring of the engines to factory wiring of the car. one particular issue will cause nitemares but its so simple. and catches most ppl out. more on that next time.

than dont forget the brakes. they need to be looked at otherwise you be using cars infront or fences to slow you down.

Yea I saw that SR 260 - it goes well and was part of my inspiration in the project.. That teamed with wangan midnight.

RBZ260 - Thanks so much buddy!! That is the sort of thing I was looking for (luckily I had already found most of that stuff through various sites, and am tracking most of it down at the moment).

Wiring is probably not something I would do personally - I was never really good at that stuff but as far as I know slotting the engine in shouldnt be too much of an issue using good mounts.

I would take the shafts to someone to have them modified. I would also have the IC piping fabricated to suit... At the moment the car I am interested in buying has bigger brakes so hopefully they will be good enough to stop the car, but if not I will look into upgrades!!

Thanks again for the help people!

-Rayray

• 8 years later...

Hope this is the right place to post guys - but I'm halfway through a SR20DET conversion in my 240z and trying to sort out my driveshaft to fit between the S14 5 speed transmission and my 240z diff. 

I'm planning to simply shorten my existing driveshaft to suit as it seems to match the transmission teeth etc. However I'm not sure if I need to cut the dust collar off the yoke for it to sit in properly. Can anyone confirm this? And any other advise for driveshaft shortening for swaps?

PS. Tried searching here and Hybrid Z.

PS. Anyone else here have a SR20DET in their zed??