Dimensions for the standard 240 muffler

aircobra

including some photos

i think i worked out the jdm-car-parts mystery

https://jdm-car-parts.com/blogs/news/15973536-original-oem-type-muffer-and-down-pipe-finally-launched

its actually NOT an exact copy because the standrd off-centre connnector for generic mufflers is not the right size. so they've had to put a kink in the rear pipe to clear the opening

the original, had a straight pipe, but the rear hole is somewhere in between the centre and off centre on the generic mufflers

therefore the only way to make  a copy is to have a custom end plate with z-specific cutout

anyway,i've rung around and it seems that people don;t make custom mufflers unless they're stainless big cans and they're welded, not crimped

so unless you have a big crimping machine in your garage, not going to happen

IMG_0219[1].JPG

Edited by aircobra

had a look inside - its as restrictive as hell - has 3 baffles and very small perforations in the tubes

i dont know if anyone still has one of these, but highly likely that stock 240 sounded absolutely granny spec

pretty disappointing - i though it would have some special magic inside

• Administrators

Granny spec is right up my alley, if anyone has an original muffler for sale like above. I'd be keen. I've got a 71 240z that is in need ;).