Zedhead

Zed Heads dream Z build.

Hello everyone

it has been suggested to me to do a thread on my 260z build so here goes.

This is my first time restoring a car so any and all advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A quick background on how It started.  Basically I found a 1974 260z coupe on E bay about 8 months ago and fell in love with it as soon as I saw the add.  It was about 11.30pm when I saw the buy it now add, it was only listed there for about 3 hrs and it had about 120 watchers, I had a feeling it would be gone by the morning so I hit but it now for 15k. 

upon inspection I kicked the tires a little and ended up paying 14k for it and I was stoked.  She is all original apart from paint, stereo and speakers. The seats were torn and it had the usual dash cracks but apart from that she was all good and all there. I knew there were 2 small rust issues at the rear of the floor pans (rails) under both seats but they were only minor, everything else looked very straight and solid from my inexperienced perspective although I did notice there was a repair at the hatch corners but it looked like a good job and surely wasn't a deal breaker for me. 

She was purchased in Deer Park Victoria from a young guy,  it was his dads who had passed away some 20 years ago. The young man had intentions of restoring it one day but never got around to it and jut left it dry stored for 20+ years in his mums garage until I came along. 

It has the matching numbers L26 in it and the original colour is 303 turquoise green with Ivory trim.   I  have removed the l26 ( first time ever removing an engine from a car)  and purchased an L28 to go in it. Since then, I have bought a set of triple 45mm webers, a new reproduction steering wheel, Replacement seat covers and a set of front and rear try bar strut braces from Techno Tuning. 

The rust patches in the floors have been repaired (not by me) and now she's in the good hands of Les Collins who will be helping me achieve my goals for her.  The 5 speed g box has been restored with 4th gear being replaced due to some pitting, wear  and minor rust issues.from being stored for so long. 

My dream was to have a nice 3.2 ltr stroker but not sure if that will happen now because of budget restrictions and  the lack of some parts like the LD28 crank needed for that.

Anyway, I will leave it at that for now and will try to add some pictures in crono order as things have happened from when I first lied eyes on her.  The first pic's are from the Ebay add and the 2nd are after she was moved to his new location, the last pics were after her first wash. 

Thanks everyone, I hope you enjoy my build. 

20180410_221434.jpg

260z 7.jpg

260z 4.jpg

260z 1.jpg

260z 2.jpg

260z 3.jpg

260z 5.jpg

20180322_164600.jpg

20180322_164608.jpg

20180322_164619.jpg

20180322_165129.jpg

20180322_175659.jpg

20180322_165753.jpg

20180322_192008.jpg

20180322_200218.jpg

20180322_200226.jpg

Very nice colour combination! Looks like you've got some exciting times ahead. Do you have an end goal for the car in regards to exterior aesthetics to go along with the 3.2 stroker?

7 hours ago, Post-Ironic said:

Very nice colour combination! Looks like you've got some exciting times ahead. Do you have an end goal for the car in regards to exterior aesthetics to go along with the 3.2 stroker?

Hello, and thank you.

I do love the look of flared guards with boot and front spoilers but I feel its just to nice to cut up.  Plus, I'm not sure how black flares would look with the 303 green and Ivory trim.  What do you guys say? To cut or not to cut. 

Sorry guys I'm not very tech Savvy so doing mResized_20180904_165150_5207.thumb.jpeg.3c60d2548da4a7e4b5041b48f8cd57e4.jpegy best to add pics of the parts I have and some of the work done so far. 

Resized_20180904_165136_2390.jpeg

Resized_20180904_165116_8957.jpeg

Resized_20180904_165108_4064.jpeg

On 9/25/2018 at 2:51 PM, Neuby said:

Agreed!  That is an awesome colour combination!

Hi Neuby, I just realized that i have watched all your you tube vids and was already a subscriber. Good stuff bro, You taught me a few things and gave great advice.  Thanks. 

On 10/4/2018 at 1:56 AM, Zedhead said:

Hi Neuby, I just realized that i have watched all your you tube vids and was already a subscriber. Good stuff bro, You taught me a few things and gave great advice.  Thanks. 

Not a worry!

What colour is that you’ve used on the rocker cover?  looks snazzy!

Looking good mate, some nice parts and progress.

Ps, don’t cut her up. I love the flared look too but original lines are key. I plan on getting another z to do the flares and satisfy that itch!

19 minutes ago, dat240z said:

Ps, don’t cut her up. I love the flared look too but original lines are key. I plan on getting another z to do the flares and satisfy that itch!

I am so in this boat!

On 10/6/2018 at 3:09 PM, Neuby said:

Not a worry!

What colour is that you’ve used on the rocker cover?  looks snazzy!

It's a heat proof gloss black with a few coats of clear and lots of sanding in between. :)  By the way, whats with the fancy a shirt link.  It doesn't go anywhere.  

Posted (edited)
On 10/6/2018 at 4:52 PM, dat240z said:

Looking good mate, some nice parts and progress.

I'm torn about that because I love the flared look and besides,  I have a bone stock 240z  to admire and drive. Having said that, this is such a clean 260 that it's a shame to cut up.  Very confused about this one.  

20180413_171727.jpg

Edited by Zedhead

Posted (edited)

If you’ve got the two Zs I say get cutting on the 260 if your heart so desires. Best of both worlds and you leave the stock 240 in tact. Easy done! 

Edited by dat240z

I've got 4 Z's and don't plan to hack any guards up!

The look is over cooked these days in my humble opinion.

20 minutes ago, gav240z said:

I've got 4 Z's and don't plan to hack any guards up!

The look is over cooked these days in my humble opinion.

That's a good point too.  I would have cut them without a doubt if the body was rough and needed a lot of work and that's why I'm in 2 minds. This one has a good straight body. By the way,   what do you think it would lower the value much  if the guards were cut. 

2 hours ago, dat240z said:

If you’ve got the two Zs I say get cutting on the 260 if your heart so desires. Best of both worlds and you leave the stock 240 in tact. Easy done! 

That's how I feel to and then the next time I look at them both I feel bad lol.  Maybe just buy one with the guards cut so I don't have to make the decision.  :Anyone got a cheap z for sale with flared guards! :) 

10 minutes ago, Zedhead said:

By the way,   what do you think it would lower the value much  if the guards were cut. 

If it's an early 240z, to me cut guards are a big negative.

However not many years ago people were hacking up early cars without a thought as they were the cheap Z's!

At some point 260z's in original shape may be considered highly collectible in original condition and hacking guards may be frowned upon. Especially if it's done to fit a massive set of rota wheels..