Sign in to follow this  
HKSZ

Zed steering geometry

I have a question about front struts. How much should should they freely turn? ( While not connected to tie rod ends )

Just greased steering rack, fitted new strut bearings, new ball joints and about to fit new tie rod ends,

However before I connect the rods ends I noticed on both sides the struts turn inward about 20deg and 45deg outwards.

I  can inderstand the the outward stopping at 45deg cause the rear of the steering arm hits the swing arm, but why does the inward turn start to bind at 20deg because it still not touching anything and there aint any stoppers on the zed steering arm?

001.JPG

002.JPG

Have you tried it without ball joints? Anyway it's a process of elimination, start off with the struts out of the car to make sure that the strut bearings run free and go from there.

What's it like with a wheel on?  You might find that's the max travel you have anyway.

Also, check that the bearings are installed in the strut top isolators, without them the strut won't rotate properly.

In the end I seperated the knuckle and ball joint from the strut bottom, both turn freely but once bolted together it tightens up again.

I put a jack under the swing arm and raised it level, this allowed the strut to rotate further and fitting the tie rods i look to have full forward lock.

In the end it still seems strange the strut binds under full droop like that but maybe it has something to do with the ball joint being offset in the knuckle arm.