Plastc headlight covers chrome trims

aircobra

Folks,

I'm going to try to reproduce a set, so if anyone has even a crappy one even for one side, that's a bonus

If not, I wld appreciate a couple of close up photos. I think I've sussed out the mounting brackets, so just need to workout a profile

If it works out, everyone wins!

• Administrators

I know someone is working on reproductions like OEM, guide price is around $700 usd for the chrome rings + perspex covers. Not sure when it will hit the market yet?

The mounts are just a flat threaded plate that’s screwed onto the buckets with small self tappers.

Would it be any harder to make them from stainless like the Gnose covers? I had issues with my old short nose chrome covers holding water around the screw holes and then rusting. 

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Riceburner said:

I had issues with my old short nose chrome covers holding water around the screw holes and then rusting. 

Feature, not a bug. :)

39 minutes ago, AndBir said:

I am fairly certain they are fiberglass rings. Which a few people have told me they are not happy with. I've not seen them in person to validate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 8/4/2018 at 7:01 PM, aircobra said:

the jdm rings are plastic

common blokes, surely has the real rings somewhere in their garage!!

I promise you they are metal.

Are you looking for the covers or the rings?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I took some measurements today, hard to get a solid datum point given they don't really have any square points to start from.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kwW38s2GK4LQMMyc9

The thickness around the outside measured between 18-19mm but generally in the 18.60-18.80 range.

The edge has a bevel which is not at 90 degrees, it has a slope which I hope the photos show.

I believe they are made of mild steel and chromed over the top, which is why you can see evidence of rust.

I took a photo of where there is a join. As this gives some idea as to how they are made.

When offering them up to the headlight bucket there is quite large gaps. I am not sure if this is my headlight bucket (trim ring) or what.. I will try another ring on the passenger side to try and find out.

I put the tape measure around the outer edge of the ring, all the way around got 106cm in total. Hope the photo kind of made that clear (I couldn't photo graph and hold it in 1 go).

I tried to measure the height of the ring but it depends on the angle you hold it at etc..got about 16cm tall.

I honestly think I could make this by hand, but it would be time consuming.

Let me know if you need anything else. I don't have my set with the lens covers with me (they are in Melbourne now). Hence part of the delay in getting these details to you.

great work. couple of questions

1,. what's the thickness of the metal

2. its hard to tell the profile form the  photos,  so looking for the main dimensions eg the height , radius of the bends and degrees on each of the sides. you said they're not at 90 degrees. from the photo, it looks like one side is higher then the other. once i get these, i'll punch them into the profile i'm building

3. what size are the countersunk holes?

4. it looks like there's a joining weld on one of the rings. is this correct?

5. do you have the fittings that screw into the car

6. you said that the perspex is in melb. is it somewhere i can take a look?

ring.bmp

• Administrators
16 hours ago, aircobra said:

great work. couple of questions

1,. what's the thickness of the metal

2. its hard to tell the profile form the  photos,  so looking for the main dimensions eg the height , radius of the bends and degrees on each of the sides. you said they're not at 90 degrees. from the photo, it looks like one side is higher then the other. once i get these, i'll punch them into the profile i'm building

3. what size are the countersunk holes?

4. it looks like there's a joining weld on one of the rings. is this correct?

5. do you have the fittings that screw into the car

6. you said that the perspex is in melb. is it somewhere i can take a look?

ring.bmp

1. It will be difficult to get an exact width given that it's not a flat piece of metal, but has curved sides. I can measure the width of the metal on the folded side part. Which I assume is the same all around.

2. Yes you could say that 1 side is higher than the other, because it's shaped to follow the contour of the headlight bucket. I later re-test fit the cover against the headlight bucket and noticed you have to push the trim to the high side of the bucket so it sits back snugly against the housing. Hard to explain, but if you saw photos of them fitted it would make more sense.

3. I'll have to measure those.

4. Yes they are probably made out of a single strip of metal and then joined along the side as you saw.

5. No I don't, but have been recommended to use nutserts. Instead of the factory mounting brackets which require 3 holes at each fixture point.

6. I left it at my mum's place last time. She's in South Melbourne, however she may have taken them into storage at Kinglake (house in the country). I originally was going to drop them down to @Léon as I want to fit them on my red car, but didn't get to catch up with him last time I was in Melbourne.

Give me some time to get the measurements you need.

Personally I have been buying the rings when I can find them and plan to re-chrome them and get perspex covers made. I think I could recreate them by hand, but it would be fairly time consuming to do. I'm waiting to see how Romas and Hung go with their reproductions (linked to above).

if you can be the basic height and angle measurements for the channel, i'll send you a couple of templates that you can try to fit over the channel. once i have the profile spot on, it will get easier

meanwhile, i'll send you a couple of profiles on what i could work out from the phots.

i live in elwood, which is next door to south melbourne, so yeah if they're still there, that's awesome

it would be extremely difficult and time consuming to make these by hand because of the 3d curves, you would need a shrinker and a roller at the same time . and be an absolute expert with both because the chrome plating will show up any imperfections