GregTas

What gearstick leather boot fits a 260z cosnole

Posted (edited)

I've got a 260Z centre console in my car and need a leather gearstick boot for it. There are heaps of boots on ebay (not 260z just generic and late model cars) so I decided to get one from there and glue it in. Only $3 delivered :), but I chose poorly and with the one I bought  it didn't have enough length to work.

A 260Z search brings up one hit, but $50 which is a bit much for me because I'm not do a show car. Has anyone bought something cheap for a late model car off ebay and  there was enough length for it to work ok?

Edited by GregTas

No, because we're not tight arses and we want our Zeds to look good.

Spend the $ on the correct boot and clips.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Lurch said:

No, because we're not tight arses and we want our Zeds to look good.

Spend the $ on the correct boot and clips.

Yes I can be tight, but happy to spend money where it counts. In the last year I've put $20k worth of parts into my car, but most of it has been spent on performance parts, not looking pretty..

It's a track car, so it's lucky to have a centre console.

GongZ that boot does look nice and I just received a delivery today from Rob at the ZFactory, but I'm a tight arse so I will look for a cheaper option first.

Edited by GregTas

Posted (edited)

Supercheap have a vinyl one for $12.99 and a leather one for $17.99 - you could take a tape measure there (or another car parts store) rather than buying one 'sight unseen'.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/SCA-Black-Pvc-Gear-Boot/352319?menuFrom=1021727
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/SCA-Black-Leather-Gear-Boot/352318?menuFrom=1021727

Edited by GongZ

Thanks. That looks promising.

I go to supercheap a bit but didn't think of them. Sometimes the local stores surprise you with what they have. $12.99 sounds like me. :)

42 minutes ago, GregTas said:

Yes I can be tight, but happy to spend money where it counts. In the last year I've put $20k worth of parts into my car, but most of it has been spent on performance parts, not looking pretty..

It's a track car, so it's lucky to have a centre console.

GongZ that boot does look nice and I just received a delivery today from Rob at the ZFactory, but I'm a tight arse so I will look for a cheaper option first.

Firstly, you didn't mention that.
Secondly, as it's a race car - you've added weight! Big NO NO.

Yeah it's more weight, but I want my car to be a good looking race car. :)

I've also put isolator switch and some warning lights in the front part of the console. So it does have a bit of a need for being there.

Posted (edited)

Racing?... Targa? 

Regardless of the official racing scene, you guys have the best roads in the country.. Full Stop.

I was there at Christmas, and I'm heading back in September. Never had so much fun driving on public roads. Especially the west coast, and I was only in a Subaru Forester. Can only imagine how much fun a Zed would be :)

Rob

Edited by RAP260

Posted (edited)

No targa. Just circuit.

Yes the roads are good. Over the years I've had plenty of fun on them. Quite a bit on bikes with mates.  :D

Edited by GregTas

18 hours ago, GongZ said:

Supercheap have a vinyl one for $12.99 and a leather one for $17.99 - you could take a tape measure there (or another car parts store) rather than buying one 'sight unseen'.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/SCA-Black-Pvc-Gear-Boot/352319?menuFrom=1021727
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/SCA-Black-Leather-Gear-Boot/352318?menuFrom=1021727

Greg, I bought one of the leather boots from Supercheap to replace my cracked original when I bought a new console, and had to modify it to fit as it doesn't work as is. The vinyl boots look to be the same design, so something to consider.

I had to unpick the stitching on the bottom that holds the spring wire to get enough length to fit the hole in the Z console, and it was still a tight strech to get it to work..