RAP260

EFI Books - Recommendations

Howdy all, 

Just asking this on the off chance that someone has a particular recommendation. 

Looking for something that's not necessarily just an introduction, as I understand the basic principle, but a book that also goes into the nitty gritty as is was :)

Currently researching a lot of different book options, just interested in others opinions. 

And yea.... I know there's a lot of info on the Internet... But they let anyone post information on the Internet....lol

And don't even get me started on forum threads that start with a question, where the OP couldn't be bothered posting the outcome.... Grrrrrrr. 

Cheers, 

Rob 

Maybe more beneficial to narrow down your choice of ECU supplier and focus on their products. Also decide who you will use to dyno and tune and get their input.

Posted (edited)

Hey Kato, 

I understand what you're say. But I'm looking to learn more about the fundamentals , if that makes sense. 

If I do this I'll be doing it from scratch, as it were. DIY megasquirt for example . I've got a good grounding in electronics and computer programming. So this is an area I'm comfortable with. 

Plus, having installed and tuned three different carburetor systems on my car, I'm comfortable with my engine. And I know how to make her purr.... Lol

I'm interested in pulse widths and timing, pressures, sizing ect. How do these elements all interact? 

Cheers, 

Rob 

Edited by RAP260

Rob

I cannot recommend a particular book as all of my engines over the years have been tuned by people who knew much more that I do and did it for a living.

However I do remember a long time ago when I was studying that we had a text about engine maths. It was about 35 years ago and cannot remember the title etc but it was an intriguing book that covered all of the mathematics involved with the internal combustion engine. A chapter or so was dedicated to combustion, the air fuel ratio and carburation. I do remember we did some equations calculating fuel volume required for a swept volume at different rpm. It would be much simpler now with modern EFI systems as you can now program the time based on the size and flow of an injector and get the exact fuel input. So based on your comments maybe a good engine maths book would be a good place to start to understand the process. Then the programing of the black box and the injectors should be simpler to understand.

Jeff

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, CBR Jeff said:

cannot recommend a particular book as all of my engines over the years have been tuned by people who knew much more that I do and did it for a living

Absolutely :)

Don't get me wrong. I don't pretend that I'll be able to read some book and understand 30+ years of actual experience. I probably don't have that much time left :)

Just trying to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. So when it comes time to involve a professional, I've actually headed in the right direction :)

I just want to do as much, as I can, within my limited experience. 

Chinese proverb :

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever."

Cheers, 

Rob 

Edited by RAP260

Hi Rob,

Try "Designing and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection Systems " By Greg Banish.

Covers:

* Benefits and limitations of Standalones.

* Helpful equations

* Setups and calibrations

* VE Tables and Timing maps

* Auxiliary Output Controls

* Case Studies

David. ( It's a good read)

I think HPacademy.com is good for a lot of tuning theory.

They also have courses and professional wiring.

However I don't know any good ones on megasquirt. However I'd love to know myself!

7 hours ago, gav240z said:

However I don't know any good ones on megasquirt. However I'd love to know myself!

Yea, a real shame nobody has produced the equivalent of a programming Superbible for this. That would be awesome ;D

Thanks @Enzo, that book looks great, and gets excellent reviews. Will be ordering it shortly.

Cheers, 

Rob