Sign in to follow this  
260DET

Yokohama Tyres

Impressed by user reports of the AO50 for sprints but I'm wondering if for the project Z31 V8 being built mainly for Bathurst it would be better to test initially using a lower spec tyre like the AD08R  http://www.yokohama.com.au/Tyres/ADVAN-Neova-AD08.aspx . What I've experienced is that top line R spec tyres can mask suspension defects when testing on a slower circuit so I'm thinking that any problems would show up at slower speeds using something like the AD08R. Then once the suspension is tuned change over to AO50's for Bathurst. If the suspension is initially bad then tearing up a set of cheaper tyres would not matter much too. Thoughts? Experience?

If you are going to this much effort, why not go just test at a high-speed track if you are worried about the high-speed handling? I don't think using a cheaper tyre will make that much difference in terms of masking issues and going one step down on an excellent tyre isn't a massive change. A less grippy tyre can't simulate high g-loading either.

Why aren't you just running slicks on this thing? Is it a regulation that you have to run street legal tyres? Slicks are generally cheaper than Semis too.

No high speed corner tracks in Q except Lakeside which is not the safest track to test on. Also I was thinking that lower spec tyres might squeal near their limit which would give some idea of how much grip would be available. Can only take one set of tyres so in case of rain semis are more suitable, last year it pissed down the first day at Bathurst where I experienced a masked suspension problem with the 280ZX. Mainly just thinking aloud here, nothing set in stone yet.

I would call turn 1 at QR pretty high speed too. In the lemons soarer and the 350Z it was around 150kph so your race car should be doing better than that. I wouldn't be relying on the squeal more than the feel. 8)

1) You should really tune the suspension with the tyre you are going to run with.

2) The AD08R is not much cheaper than the A050.

Well that helped clear my mind, the nice set of wheels will be used for the track semis when the car is ready for some serious track work. To hold the car up off the ground and for initial systems checking the heavy set of wheels will get something like Federal 595 RS-RR's which in 18" are around $200 each.