gav240z

Post migration (3.x to 4.x) fix it list.

Posted (edited)

Hi Folks,

Just putting down a fix it list for items that need to be attended to after the major migration from 3.x to 4.x - not listed in order of importance.

1. Favorite icon in bookmark bar. Done
  2. Look into avatar problems for certain members. Done.
  3. Create donating members only section of site. Done
  4. Create subscription model for donating members (to be advertising exempt). Donating members now have ad free experience. - Half done.
  5. Allow cover photos for all members. Done
  6. Give moderators and admin's more visibility in posts. Done
  7. Investigate feasibility in writings script to find old SMF style links and update to new IPS based links (remove legacy URLs) - not required.
  8. SSL certificate for improved security and SEO (Google Search). - Done. Guide here.
  9. Fix subtext here (forums_forum_3_desc). - Done
  10. Fix front page RSS feeds (for latest posts done,  classifieds and topics done, but not working as expected.).
  11. Create new stream, UI bug - not allowing options to be selected. Investigate backwards compatible option (3.x) - Pending Bug Fix
  12. Fix website banner / design.
  13. Migrate front-page content (from Drupal) into IPS software. Delete old CMS (Drupal), so only 1 piece of software drives site. (Pull down old databases and store offline).
  14. Move from viczcar.com domain to auszcar.com.
  15. Look into Amazon CDN or similar (for increased image storage capability)
  16. Add icons to forum section on overview page (aid in usability)
  17. Implement ImageMagic for PHP for better image handling and compression.
Edited by gav240z
Updated: July 26th 2018

That's ok the list is more of a to-do for me. As I forget half of them if I don't put them down somewhere. A few people have also mentioned the above items to me at different times.

@gav240zi notice on your home/personal page you have a image as your personal banner (not sure if that's the correct term)  a photo/section from an old 240Z manual in this banner, 

are we able to upload our own personal banner images yet and if so (or when we are) what pixel sizes dimension sizes will best suit etc etc? apart from you we all just have a 3d kind of image.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Can you see the options to the right hand side? A drop down menu?

I haven't set any restrictions yet (although I think my image was huge and probably should have been trimmed down and optimized - so not sure if it makes me profile page load slowly)?

You can reposition the image etc.. to suit.

Cheers,
Gavin.

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 4.26.02 PM.png

I just enabled cover photos for everyone, so you should now be able to add 1.

Other updates.

1. Gave Peter some more abilities... use them wisely lol..

2. Highlighted replies from forum admin's / moderator's. Nice usability touch.

3. Looks like missing avatars for members might be due to use of .png files for avatars. Will check to see if that's supported in new version..

4. Realised that http://php.net/manual/en/book.imagick.php is not installed on server. May further improve image handling if installed...

54 minutes ago, gav240z said:

Hi Dave,

I haven't set any restrictions yet (although I think my image was huge and probably should have been trimmed down and optimized - so not sure if it makes me profile page load slowly)?

So I've set it to 500kb for regular members and 1000kb for donating members.

I noticed that my image was over 2mb and that would be no good for mobile users etc.. So I compressed it (was .png) but now .jpg and it went from 2mb down to 400kb with a little compression and I can't see any obvious quality difference. So it's worth compressing if you can just a bit. Don't want bogged down heavy profile pages.

Cheers,

Hi

I didn’t realise you could do that.

I cropped my photo to make it the appropriate shape for banner and it looks good.

It is 1.3m so I will have a play with compression later on.

F29D8A4B-2CEE-45C8-A913-4DE04D80F1D1.png

31 minutes ago, PB260Z said:

Hi

I didn’t realise you could do that.

I cropped my photo to make it the appropriate shape for banner and it looks good.

It is 1.3m so I will have a play with compression later on.

You couldn't do it, until about 20 mins ago. :D

I don't think moderators have any size limitations on their images. But yes for an end user perspective it will help to reduce image sizes.

I am hoping the imagemagik software mentioned above improves compression and allows for better optimisation of images on the server.

Cool, never really played around with compression or any image software.

Will have a play with it over the weekend and see if I can reduce the image size to something more reasonable.

Not sure about Windoze these days, but on Mac using Preview it's very easy, just use the export feature.

This image went from a 4.5mb png file down to a 300kb jpg.

screenshot.jpg

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, gav240z said:

Hi Dave,

Can you see the options to the right hand side? A drop down menu?

You can reposition the image etc.. to suit.

Cheers,
Gavin.

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 4.26.02 PM.png

I couldn't do it his morning but looks like i can now. looks like it will be a cool new addition O0

What size is the best to fit? as i might do a collage of some of my Z's

Cheers Dave

Edited by 24 Dat
added words

10 minutes ago, 24 Dat said:

I couldn't do it his morning but looks like i can now. looks like it will be a cool new addition O0

What size is the best to fit? as i might do a collage of some of my Z's

Cheers Dave

mine ended up being 1280 × 314

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, OdinZ said:

Ooooo i like this feature!

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 10.07.56 AM.png

That is a great picture and would be great for promoting the next Vic based event.

Edited by PB260Z

2 hours ago, PB260Z said:

That is a great picture and would be great for promoting the next Vic based event.

It does however make it look like everyone is having engine trouble. :).

Note: My bonnet is firmly shut... :D

3 hours ago, PB260Z said:

Thanks, I have sent the high res photo to Gav, and it can be used for whatever purpose for this website

1 hour ago, gav240z said:

Haha, yours and the race car have the bonnets shut!

20 hours ago, gav240z said:

I was having engine issues, not sure if you remember but the waterpump started weeping somewhere on the trip to Gordo’s for the BBQ

All good now though.

Hi

I seem to have aquired a Z432 image on my profile.

Anyone know how to change it ? not that I want to just curious.

Cheers

PB

Posted (edited)

I guess it's based on user group/

Gav (admin) has an East Africa Safari Rally car, you have a 432, donators have a 240ZG and the rest of us have regular silver S30s lol.

Edited by brent012

2 minutes ago, brent012 said:

Gav (admin) has an East Africa Safari Rally car, you have a 432, donators have a 240ZG and the rest of us have regular silver S30s lol.

Hi

Yep, that looks bang on. Dimitri (another moderator) also has the Z432.

Thanks

PB

Yeah did that last night, good way to differentiate between user groups. I kind of wanted the Z432-R for myself lol..

However I get the unicorn works rally car, mods get the Z432-R, donating members get the Fairlady 240ZR and regular folks get a garden variety HLS30 with a 4 speed. Haha.

If we had more groups we could cover PS30, 240Z-L etc..

6 hours ago, brent012 said:

Hey i like my "acquired image", I've always loved that livery , awesome looking race Z O0 , I would love to get the #1 comp car of the  1973 winning 240Z of East Africa Safari Car 

Maybe one day 

z.JPG

Gav,

attempted the activity streams thing to "since last visit" however, it wont accept my request.

i CBF'd wading through "unread content"

Is there anyway to turn the member group images off? I find them too big and distracting - I probably have the unpopular POV though :P