Hi All, 

It has been a while since I posted but I am looking for some advice. I have had my car for sale for some time (price has fluctuated over this period, started very high. hope full I know). I'm sure many members have seen it. 

I now believe it is a reasonably good price, but I'm not getting many if any bites. The car has had a ton of money spent on it and (in my opinion) great condition for what it is. Add below. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-240Z-1973/SSE-AD-4354367/?Cr=3

I am wondering if it is advertised too high, or the fact that it has a roll cage in it deters potential buyers thinking that it has had a hard life?

What would turn you off purchasing it if you were looking for a Z? 

It has only been babied in my ownership and am wondering if there is anything I could do to improve my chances of selling the vehicle (such as remove the cage)? 

I am not desperate but I do need the space. All suggestions warmly welcomed. 

V

I think it's fairly priced, just think the market has slowed along with the economy.

Posted (edited)

As someone who has been in the market for a zed for a long time (took me 20 years to buy my last "dream car", so I'm not exactly an impulse buyer........), here's my take.

1. "In no rush to sell", "No tyrekickers", "No joyrides", etc -  you sound like you could potentially be a difficult buyer to deal with, or you don't really want to sell the car (or both)

2. Its a "jack of all trades / master of none" sort of car. I see three types of buyer for these cars, those who want original, those who want a modified car to drive on the street and those who want something for motorsport. Original buyers will be turned off by the mods. Those wanting something modified to drive to cars'n'coffee / car shows will want the triple carbs and bling, etc rather than a roll cage which (in some states anyway) can be difficult with rego. Those wanting a car for motorsport will be looking for some sort of history / lap times / distinct category for it to fit into and probably more importantly a CAMS logbook (what regs was the cage built to meet, and would it still meet those regs now, CAMS cage specs have changed over the last few years).

3. Some of the bits on it just don't fit with a $50K car - checker plate floor mat / dash mat (what's under that ??), junk in the centre console.

Just my opinions, I don't mean to offend but you did ask

Edited by 1600dave

Thanks for the input so far guys. 

I can totally relate so far, I did ask for advice even criticism so it all is helpful.

1600dave 
1. I totally agree with this stuff, I may be using the wrong language. 
2. You are right about it's category, it doesn't really fit into any in particular.
3. Also right here, it would be best to take some less "impromptu" shots of the car and tidy it up. I will also remove checker plate floor mats and dashmat, with new photos showing their condition. Both no cracks and rust free but I can easily see how a potential buyer could mistake these for cover ups. 

Thank you 

Yeah good tip on dash mat, remove it for photos of nice clean crack free dashboard.

A few other small details for the originality stickler.

1. No bonnet badge or fender "Datsun" badge. Looks like only 1 tail gate badge?

2. No undertray? Many are missing these, but good to see them on the car.

3. OEM radio gone.

Personally the roll cage wouldn't bother me, I quite like the car, especially the more I look at it because I know what it would take to get a rough 1 into this condition.

With a 3ltr stroker I'd be tempted to go Triples, I can only imagine the SUs don't keep up that well with the rest of the mods, certainly felt like that was the case on my 72 240z. I reckon Triple 44's on this and you would love it.

Almost talking myself into buying it haha..

What are you looking to move into by the way? Hard to beat an S30Z I think personally.

Tripple's would turn it into a whole different beast, it's already a very fast car. A big shock to the senses with something that has that much get up and go and is well over 40 years old. 

That was the plan not long after I purchased it, but the money got chewed up in other areas and other cars. 

The plan was either to get a R34 GTR (unlikely), or completely downsize my collection to one comfortable daily driver. 

The reality is that I don't get to drive the car very often, I usually drive briefly it once a fortnight/ three weeks for maintenance.  

My car is almost identical to your car in terms of spec and original intention and like you I imagine I would struggle to sell it.

I bought my car as a very enthusiastic 20 year old kid that was excited that it had a roll cage. I wanted to take mine to track days, but my car was 1/4 of the purchase price of your car. The market for Datsuns was completely different back then and I believe there was more space in the market for cars like ours (cheaper = better suited to being a "toy" vs an investment). 

I think 1600Dave was on the money, the cage would scare a lot of people off. Take the cage out, take the semis off and sell them separate to the car. Someone looking for a weekend bruiser will jump at it.

Posted (edited)

My 2c worth, I agree with the others in that the cage would definitely put me off. IMO you're better to remove the cage and sell it separately but at a later date. Get rid of the race car stuff, it sends the wrong message despite your assurances that the car has been babied. Make sure you fill in the mounting holes and any sign it was ever there. Put the car back to as close to original 240Z spec as you can within reason, and advertise it along those lines. Externally and internally it presents well, right colour, nice engine bay, good clean condition and nice aftermarket wheels.

Regarding the asking price, well IMO it does seem a tad hopeful for an unrestored car, but who knows. Whether the car owes you a little or a lot is not a potential purchaser's problem. As has been said above the market has slowed for hobby cars of all sorts, more supply and less demand.

Edited by gilltech

Hey guys. 

Thanks for the further input, I had been thinking that the cage and race car theme may deter some buyers. I will remove the cage on top as well and re write the add to make it less "race" themed. 

Also Gilltech, car is indeed restored, took place in 2006  :) 

Thanks for the help guys 

To restore something is 'to put it back to the way it was originally'. By 'unrestored' I meant that literally as in how the car is currently presented, which is modified to your tastes in several areas, including roll cage, engine and wheels. No offence was intended, as I said above your car presents very well, but I think you will be able to tap into a different type of enthusiast with deeper pockets if you are able to put it back close to stock.

5 hours ago, VintageNissanEnthusiast said:

So what are you waiting for Gav? ;) hahaha

Haha, and Gav’s collection is lacking a 1973 model, but you knew that.