Wtb Datsun 240Z/260Z

Cmac

Gday,

Looking to buy a 240z or 260z 2 seater only.

Not looking for matching numbers, would even prefer a L28.

Not looking for a big project, would like to find something to drive now.

Budget of around $35k

I'm based in Adelaide and would be great if I can find one local as its hard for me to travel interstate.

I'm also considering importing one from Japan, if I cant find what I'm looking for in OZ.

Has anyone on here had much success in importing decent ones?

Regards

Col

I agree with Gavin because when I was looking to import from Japan I was getting sent pictures of S30z's full of visible rust and in bad condition with missing parts for $30k plus. What ever is in Australia is far better and cheaper for what will come from Japan. Not to forget the removal of Asbestos parts on old cars which is another problem on its own.

I think the red 240z that Curtis is selling is value for money but would need to source some parts and would still negotiate on the price but no low balling.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/byron-bay/cars-vans-utes/1970-240z-211/1180637293

Cheers

Youhan

I would have checked out the 260z if it was a bit closer to home

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bunbury/cars-vans-utes/1975-datsun-260z-coupe/1186224303

The red 240z is a little bit to much work for me, as I don’t have the time or skill to take on a project like that.

I will do a bit more research on the importing side of it. Might email iron chief.

Thanks lads

• Moderators

Hi

The car Curtis is selling is indeed good value, especially given it is an “Early Girl”

Given you are not fussed on the 240 v 260 thing nor on matching numbers there is no need to pay a premium for :

- 240Z

- Earyl Girl

- Matching numbers

All to often we see posts from folks looking for cars, but wanting it now and all but drooped in their lap.

If you are willing to wait, but be ready be ready to act quickly a good, non matching 260Z will come up for sale and will most likley represent much better value to you.

I cannot over state the importance of “DO NOT HESITATE” when a car comes along. The good cars sell very very quickly - sometimes within hours.

A return airfare to ost capital cities is not overly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

I have saved a significant amount of money on one of cars (not a Z) by be willing to travel a little to find the car. Flight and 3 hr return drive this was still only a day trip, but saved about $7,000 on what similar cars were commanding in Sydney meto.

Cheers

PB

• Administrators

The best deals are the ones from word of mouth. Get on the blower and start asking around. Once it's online it's too late!

Barn find hunter style. If you watch the show he goes to a local town and starts asking locals if they know about car guys nearby, 1 car guy knows another car guy and suddenly he is looking at rare hidden gems.

I would have checked out the 260z if it was a bit closer to home

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bunbury/cars-vans-utes/1975-datsun-260z-coupe/1186224303

I dont know the blue 260z in WA, but I do know the owner. He is a very honest gentleman. I would be confident that what he told you about the car is true. He is very well respected in the WA zed scene.

Billy.

The red 240z is a little bit to much work for me, as I don’t have the time or skill to take on a project like that.

I will do a bit more research on the importing side of it. Might email iron chief.

Thanks lads

I almost put a deposit on the orange 240z for sale in Brisbane, at first I thought it was a great car to purchase.

But after ringing a few people I found out it had a bad rear end prang, that put me off as I cant tell if it has been repaired properly and also I think it would be costly to get it though regency(Getting it registered for SA) with the mods it has.

I'm in no hurry to find one and would rather wait to find the right one for me.

I don't expect one to drop in my lap and I think hunting for one is half the fun.

Thanks for the feed back.

Yea, we know how much you hate 2 pac, Richard.... Lol

Hey Cmac,

My 2c on this subject would be...

If I was looking for a 240z /260z on that budget, I'd concentrate on the body. Look for evidence of rust repair / restoration work, preferably with a quality respray. IMHO mechanical work is often far easier to perform, and often a lot cheaper and less time consuming. Obviously excluding a ground up mechanical rebuild.

I say this as someone who has no fabrication / body work skills. But feels comfortable tackling mechanical tasks.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by RAP260

15 hours ago, PB260Z said:

I have saved a significant amount of money on one of cars (not a Z) by be willing to travel a little to find the car. Flight and 3 hr return drive this was still only a day trip, but saved about $7,000 on what similar cars were commanding in Sydney meto.

Exactly. Plus there's also the option of getting the vehicle transported. 

Importing from japan can be a pain the ass, the Jap market has started going a little silly also.

I brought my Z over from Japan last year, but it had a 2 year rebuild there prior to shipping so was confident in no rust/no aspestos etc.

If you can find what you like locally it will be far easier!,