Huw

Long Term Build Up - Which Direction?

Hi all,

So, this is purely a planning question - infant son and return to Australia mean that the budget for works doesn't exist at the moment.   In any event, interior and maintenance tasks after long lay-up are first on the list.  owever, it is much easier to (not get caught) acquiring parts if done over a longer period.

Anyway, my zed has the original L24 in it, SU carbs and a mild cam (details not on hand).  Hunting for a bit more power for street use and the question is:

- do I acquire an L28 and slowly build up (most likely with OER carbs etc - Japanese parts are easy for me to get at the moment);

- do I develop the L24 a bit more (triples, ignition, perhaps minor engine work)?

Personally, we have two zeds in the family, one which has had a little bit of work (L26 crank and rods)  on SU carbs and mine (essentially stock).  I much prefer the way mine revs - but dad's has more power (we can't have that).

Thoughts?  (I am in the process of reading the modifying L series 'bible')

Of course, I wish Lurch's L24 build was an option!

Dollars per hp your money will go further on an L28 if you're looking for power

Mate,your not getting many resposes here because its really your decision.

Keep reading that book and you will make your own mind up with what you want and how much money you can to sink into it.

Theres all sorts of builds out there that you can research to make your mind up too.Thats why people post their build threads,to highlight their goals and how they achieved them or changed because of......

Rebuilding an L28 is the same cost as an L24. So the L28 with 15% more capacity is giving quite a bit more for no additional cost and will always be in front. If you are looking for extra performance, then I don't see there's a choice to be made.

Plus if you build up an L28 you can keep driving your car.

If you have an L28 block and a good N42 or p90 head already use that to build a motor on the side.

If you want to keep the L24 source an L26 crank and give mild overview for 2.7ltr. I plan to do this with my 72 240z eventually. So I can keep car and motor together. I will find a late E88 head and modify that to work with it (whilst giving the illusion of completely original) ???? funny cause the only person to fool is myself.

However if you want a stroker, can't go past the L28 block, just gotta find 1 that will go to 89mm that is the hard part.

Hi

I would put the original L24 under the bench and replace it with an L28.

As previous posts have said, more bang for your buck with L28 + keep the L24 close to stock for originality’s sake.

Cheers

PB