Kuba

Springs And Maybe Shocks For '77 260Z

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some springs and maybe shocks too for my '77 260z. Was just scouring eBay for some Kings lowered springs (KDFL-04 / KDRS-09) and thought maybe someone has them lying around?

Also looking for KYB's 361002 and 361003 which I'll most likely import from the US.

I'm open to other options/brands.

Cheers

Gday, I’m pretty sure I have some KDFL04’s about.

I’ll have to have a squiz about the shed over the weekend but drop a pm to remind me.

Mick

Hi Mate

I have a set of KDRS-09 brand new in box, unopened.

I got them for my bus but turned out it already a set installed.

Cost $125 + GST - make me an offer if you want ‘em.

Cheers

PB

post-102365-0-43809700-1526641707_thumb.jpeg

Yep I have a pair of KDFL-04’s.

They are a little beaten up but they still have their original tag, I don’t think they have ever been used.post-101810-0-19612300-1526644747_thumb.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Be aware that fitting lowered springs requires a shorter shock length than standard.
IF you fit the lowered KING springs with your standard length shocks, KYB's, KONIs whatever, the spring will not be encapsulated.
Or in laymans terms, the spring will be loose between the top and bottom end stops, and your steering will not work.
It's not acceptable (or safe) to have a spring that comes loose when you the wheel clears the ground.
To fit a lowered spring, you need a reduced length shock and as I've found out, these are not commonly available.
I tried to fit the KDFL-04's with 25 mm lowered KING springs and the spring is loose.
So I have hunted around and found some shorter KONI's that are no longer available.

I can sell you the KYB's that you are after but I'm wasting your time with shorter springs.

Edited by Groundhog

Hi Kuba

The good man PeterAllen of this forum is the true owner of these springs and is happy to pass them on to you for just a donation to the site of whatever you think they are worth.

Let me know how is best to get them to you. I think you were also keen to try my 16” wheels?

I’m pretty close to Cronulla.

Hi Groundhog

Why do you say the steering won’t work with springs that are not bound?

Whilst I’m also not a fan of the springs not being bound, I have not had any problems.

I guess I have not had my car airborne though ????

Posted (edited)

The strut turns on the top thrust bearing and if the spring is not bound then this bearing is loose,

When your car goes up on the hoist for a machinery inspection and they find the spring rattling loose, it's an immediate failure.

Ask yourself why there are a lot of lowered coil springs for sale.
A lot of people give up trying to get a shorter shock and go for a coil-over.

Edited by Groundhog

Be aware that fitting lowered springs requires a shorter shock length than standard.

IF you fit the lowered KING springs with your standard length shocks, KYB's, KONIs whatever, the spring will not be encapsulated.

Or in laymans terms, the spring will be loose between the top and bottom end stops, and your steering will not work.

It's not acceptable (or safe) to have a spring that comes loose when you the wheel clears the ground.

To fit a lowered spring, you need a reduced length shock and as I've found out, these are not commonly available.

I tried to fit the KDFL-04's with 25 mm lowered KING springs and the spring is loose.

So I have hunted around and found some shorter KONI's that are no longer available.

I can sell you the KYB's that you are after but I'm wasting your time with shorter springs.

Thanks mate, I'll chat with my mechanic about the springs if Kings won't fit I'll just leave the old ones I guess. It's the shocks I definitely need to change. Unfortunately, I've pulled the trigger and bought a set from US yesterday, couldn't find the rears anywhere locally and the price for 4 fronts here is same as 2 fronts and 2 backs with shipping.

Hi Kuba

The good man PeterAllen of this forum is the true owner of these springs and is happy to pass them on to you for just a donation to the site of whatever you think they are worth.

Let me know how is best to get them to you. I think you were also keen to try my 16” wheels?

I’m pretty close to Cronulla.

Maybe over next weekend if that suits? Let's chat over PM.

Thanks guys, springs are found courtesy to @Pb260z and @Cozza. Shocks are on the way from eBay us, hope it'll make a difference in handling :)

I've donated some $ for PeterAllen's springs for the forum.

Cheers

Groundhog

Since i will also be in the hunt for some lowered springs and shocks for my 260z and not wanting to go the coilover direction would you happen to have the part number for the short stroke shocks that you have found that work so i can do a search and see if i can find a set or replacement suitable.

Cheers.

So much good info in this site.

4 hours ago, 260z blues said:

Since i will also be in the hunt for some lowered springs and shocks for my 260z and not wanting to go the coilover direction would you happen to have the part number for the short stroke shocks that you have found that work so i can do a search and see if i can find a set or replacement suitable.

Likewise, except for my 240z.

Sorry for the delay. Im in Portugal on a bike holiday and away from my notes for a month. The only suggestion i can make is to contact Ken at Accurate Suspension. He has my Koni fronts for rebuild. He may also be able to offer alternatives.