Annoyed To See This On Ebay

luvemfast

This is the earliest Z that I can actually remember proper. And I was brought up around Datsun's!

It was my primary school librarians car, who was also a school friend of my mums.

I've been trying to buy it for 15 years or so, when the were literally worth nothing.

She died many years ago and her husband promised that I would be first call when he was ready to part with it. 

I felt bad for him so stopped my frequent visits. 

So imagine my disappointment when I saw this on eBay this morning....... 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-240Z/273196691691?hash=item3f9bcab0eb:g:1sMAAOSwPwla7okX

Given that the name and number aren't the original owners, I'm thinking he may have passed also. 

They didn't have any kids or anything, so the money that it goes for will line someone elses pocket.

Shame he didn't sell it to me years ago so I could restore it and take him out.

Maybe I should have tried to buy that VC Brock Commo from him after all...... 

Shame he didn't sell it to me years ago so I could restore it and take him out.

You're assuming that he would prefer that over simply keeping it so he could look at it every now and then and reminisce.

I still have my very first car, sitting in the corner of the shed 37 years later. Its full of rust, and has had bits robbed off it over the years to keep the rest of the fleet of Datsuns alive. I may or may not ever restore it.

But its still in my shed and I get some sort of perverse enjoyment seeing it sitting there under the pile of Datsun detritus that's built up around it.

Edited by 1600dave

• Administrators

Sold for $22,300. I think anything under $25k was a bargain personally but I didn't see it in person. So I'm not sure how good the body is on it. It certainly looked solid in the photos.

I have to admit I was tempted to throw a cheeky bid in, but must resist and focus on what I have. :)

• Moderators

I have to admit I was tempted to throw a cheeky bid in, but must resist and focus on what I have. :)

When I saw this car on ebay, I did wonder if it would end up in the Gav collection.

Sort of a bookend piece, you have one of the first, add one of the last ??

Cheers

PB

• Administrators

I was contemplating how I would find somewhere to store it, and I was also looking at how different my bank account would look. :). With the 71 #1415 I managed to see it in person before bidding. So that makes a big difference.

Hopefully the new owner will show up here! I hope it went to a good home and will be preserved and kept original.

You're assuming that he would prefer that over simply keeping it so he could look at it every now and then and reminisce.

I wasn't assuming anything to be honest, it was based on many conversations over the years. 

He was always saying the classic line that "he was going to do it up one day....." But we both knew that was really never going to happen. 

The fact that he never contacted me as promised and the different contact details has me thinking the worst with his health. 

I'm sure we'll see it pop up again in the future.

has me thinking the worst with his health. 

I note that the ad does say deceased estate unfortunately .....