Bulk Panel Import Round 2 - May 2018

• Administrators

Hi Folks,

So I've just spoken to someone from Spellbound Motorsport (just outside of LA).

https://www.facebook.com/spellboundmotorsports/

Basically I'm looking to import a bunch of 240z (and maybe 260/280z) panels, sections and parts from the US.

He said that a lot of the cars he buys are often accident damaged/rusted etc.. that way he gets them cheap (for their parts), so good panels are often hard to get. But sometimes he will get a car with a bad front-end but good rear end for example.

This all came about in my quest for a rear clip. It's going to take some time to get this car cut up for shipping.

32283686_10155844331816843_222325288405565440_n.jpg

Basically here is the plan:

1. Get a list of desired parts/panels.

2. He will ship / crate them to a warehouse in LA (at a cost) - around $200 for a 1 way trip.

3. The shipping company will freight them to myself in Sydney / Depot.

The more stuff we ship the more the economics of scale come into it, however the requirement for free capital means that need to have quite a bit of cash tied up in the shipping of this stuff. So what I plan to do is take orders of stuff required and then maybe take a 10-20% deposit for the item with the remainder collected upon arrival.

I don't yet have a break down on the cost of each panel, but here is an example of what price might cost, by the time it gets here.

1. Early 240z rear vented hatch ($500 USD).

2. Ship to depot in US ($20-$30) - depends on how much stuff we ship.

3. Cost to import panel ($100-$150 w/insurance) and GST (depends on cost of individual item) etc..

4. I will then have to collect from depot (hire van or truck etc..) - take half day off work etc.. So I will need to charge maybe 20% on top to make it worthwhile. (don't forget foreign transaction fees and possible quarantine costs on this end).

Once we have a list of desired / sections panels, parts etc.. I will be able to get prices from Crow and give a more accurate price estimate on individual parts. I will try and over estimate so when the item gets here you may get lucky and actual cost comes in a bit lower. Better to get reverse sticker shock :).

Items available:

• Rear 1/4 panels
  • Doors
  • Roofs
  • Hoods (very hard to get now) - so may not be worth it compared with reproduction ones
  • Spare tyre wells
  • Rear valance sections (only a few good ones)
  • Topy steel wheels (some with original tyres still) - has a bunch! Matching date stamp sets are difficult to do though!
  • Front guards
  • Rad support sections
  • Other misc sections can be cut out i.e seat mounts, rear storage bins, battery box sections etc.. we just need to draw a line through a photo of what we want. Usually this isn't economical on 1 off basis but if we import in bulk this stuff is more viable. Refer to Facebook page for example sections he can supply. Basically we can cut anywhere you like / need (if a good section exists on a parts car in his yard).

So I am aware that I started a thread before with a similar goal (and topy steelies here) and haven't quite delivered (well so far I've imported stuff for myself mostly). A couple of reasons is that 1.) My friend in SFO who has a collection of stuff still hasn't got organised. 2.) I'm well aware that if you can get panels locally you're better off as it works out cheaper nearly always, the problem is stuff is getting harder to find here.

Crow is based in LA, where the Warehouse is so that makes life easier, having said that in LA traffic it's still a 1.5 hour drive to deliver to that Warehouse. (My friend was based in SFO - 8 or so hours away). Which makes a big difference. Also Crow has a flat bed truck he can put a pallet on and that will make shipping of bulk stuff far easier / more viable.

So basically I need your wish list, then I will go back to him and we will confirm he has it and then get a price list and from there we should be good to go.

Just an FYI: We didn't discuss non body panel parts in much detail, but I believe he has a lot of dealer option wheels (not sure if there is demand for those here?), but if there is large items that just aren't practical to ship via Air freight, feel free to list those also!

Let's set a soft deadline for end of this month (May 2018) to get expressions of interest in.

Current Order List Here.

• Administrators

Good stuff Gav.

I'd like to register a keen interest in any TOPY wheels dated 2/71, 6/71, 7/71 or 8/71.

Cheers

Will you accept ones that are outside that range? For example I might be able to get 3 (71) date stamped wheels and 1 (72) date stamped wheel? Matching sets is difficult because a lot of these wheels are spares taken out of cars that went to the crusher.. Also do you want 4 or 5 wheels?

• Administrators

Hi Gav

Spare wheel well

LH inner guard between the firewall and strut tower (battery tray area)

Regards

Gary

Can you take some photos and draw an exact line of where you want the cuts?

• Administrators

I'm interested on a good 240z bonnet.

Thanks.

Jeff

Are you aware of reproductions? Good straight OEM ones are very hard to source. Cost will reflect that. Also I assume 240z bonnet means no flutes (vents)?

I have previouly asked for a front radiator support or front clip, a set of front a right guards all for a 73 240Z. Still need them Gav. Also a 73 centre console. Can easily send you some cash when needed. Send me a pm when you are ready please mate.

Edited by russandra

• Administrators

Ok so have updated first post with link to a spreadsheet with part orders recorded so far. Will continue to add them as they come in.

Can you take some photos and draw an exact line of where you want the cuts?

i need the inner guard between the firewall and beginning of the strut tower, if possible would like seam still attached to a to about 2 inches of the firewall.

The picture sort of shows where

post-107189-0-17074800-1526211263_thumb.png

• Administrators

Hi Gav I will be interested in a pair of complete doors to suit a '71 240z

Do you mean complete as in with all hardware, trim and glass? Or just the shells with stainless frames?

Will you accept ones that are outside that range? For example I might be able to get 3 (71) date stamped wheels and 1 (72) date stamped wheel? Matching sets is difficult because a lot of these wheels are spares taken out of cars that went to the crusher.. Also do you want 4 or 5 wheels?

I don't need a full set but rather am trying to complete sets that I've partially accumulated over the years.

I already have 3 wheels for one car dated 7/71, so only need 2 more to complete that set happy to deviate by a month as that would happen from time to time from factory anyway.

I have 2 other wheels from another earlier 71 car that are dated 2/71, so would need 3 more dated 2/71 for that set. (separate car, not mine, also 71 model)

Depending on cost, I'd suggest I'm keen to be a little picky with dates - what month are the 71 stamped wheels you speak of?

Thanks

• Administrators

Hi Gav thanks for persisting with this! Per our offline chats I'm after for 240Z:

• Tail light panel with our without lower valance
  • RH rear quarter (or if not, a fuel filler and 6" of surrounding panel) - but would prefer a full quarter panel

Jeff right? So many Jeff's on here now (at least 4) I forget who is who in real life (Facebook world) :P

• Administrators

I don't need a full set but rather am trying to complete sets that I've partially accumulated over the years.

I already have 3 wheels for one car dated 7/71, so only need 2 more to complete that set happy to deviate by a month as that would happen from time to time from factory anyway.

I have 2 other wheels from another earlier 71 car that are dated 2/71, so would need 3 more dated 2/71 for that set. (separate car, not mine, also 71 model)

Depending on cost, I'd suggest I'm keen to be a little picky with dates - what month are the 71 stamped wheels you speak of?

Thanks

James, depends on how things work out, but depending on what we import could do some swapsies to get what you want and make your set as complete as possible. I'm less worried about date stamps these days. Can always re-stamp if req. too :).

James, depends on how things work out, but depending on what we import could do some swapsies to get what you want and make your set as complete as possible. I'm less worried about date stamps these days. Can always re-stamp if req. too :).

Very true - I can't recall if I've mentioned any dates before but I'll collate what I have in the next day or two and let you know for any potential swaps :)

Hi Gav thanks for persisting with this! Per our offline chats I'm after for 240Z:

• Tail light panel with our without lower valance
  • RH rear quarter (or if not, a fuel filler and 6" of surrounding panel) - but would prefer a full quarter panel
Yep Jeff Shoesmith mate