240Z Su Carb Installation Of Hoses Help

LLN260Z

Hey guys,

I have searched the net, forums and the workshop manual on what hose or outlet goes where.

I bought a set of early 240z su carbs and gave them to Wilson Carburetors in airport west to rebuild them. Before that I test fitted it to make sure  I can everything covered before I get the su back.

Originally car had holley 4160 fitted so some hoses and connections are all over the place.

I took a photo of my su fitted and circled the parts I am unsure of.

I also don't have the stock airbox so I was thinking of running individual air filters. If someone can tell me or link me a set that would go straight on would be great.

6. (I think this is for coolant line, and there is another outlet on the right side which I think is coolant return line)

post-107128-0-34362100-1519278775_thumb.jpg

1. is for the crankcase breather, long pipe projecting out of upper LH side of motor, basic emissions

2. and 3. these connect to the airbox, or indivdual air cleaner bases if you go that way

4. connects across to your brake booster for vacuum, god knows what you currently have?

5. blanking plug - original, not used, leave as is

6. from memory is part of water circulation, it used to connect to the side of the thermostat housing IIRC 

Go online and download some photos from all angles of stock original 240Z engine bays and the above will make sense.

Hope that helps.

• Administrators

3. is for fuel vapour (it's a breather for the fuel float chamber) that goes into the orange airbox (which you're missing).

Distributor advance connects to the left hand carb body (just in front of where the SU mounts to the insulator part of the manifold).

You also appear to be missing your fuel rail.

The Carbon Canister won't be used with these SU's since there is no emissions set up on the 240z's (AU market). Like there is with 260z's.

IMG_4976.jpg

• Administrators

Member SpecialP3

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/user/101180-specialp3/

Has 1 of the best engine bay's going around for an AU market car. The problem with looking at North American cars is that they had additional emissions equipment (on their 240z's) that we didn't get.

Refer to album images here.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/gallery/member/101180-specialp3/

gallery_1682_289_1431951515_3301.jpg

gallery_1682_289_1431951515_3302.jpg

I wonder where the hose that is coming out of the thermostat housing is going to ?

Just plug the water circulation system at the thermostat housing end with an aftermarket blanking plug if you can't find an automotive one, and remove the Tee in the heater hose at the other end, you don't need all that.

Individual aftermarket air cleaners will generally come with a fitting on the back to connect those small carby hoses to, you can just about see where they would be in Gav's first photo.

Or maybe better to get hold of a proper 240Z air cleaner, put everything back to stock, unless you like the resto-mod look.

I wonder where the hose that is coming out of the thermostat housing is going to ?

In my pic or in general?

In my pic its not connected to anything right now

Where can I get those individual air filters from?

Edited by LLN260Z

In my pic or in general?

In your pic. We can't see if it's connected to anything. I'm guessing probably not and the end of the hose is plugged?

Anyway, you don't need the water circulation thru the base of the carbs (unless you're doing a correct restoration), so remove the hose fitting and install a blanking plug.

In your pic. We can't see if it's connected to anything. I'm guessing probably not and the end of the hose is plugged?

Anyway, you don't need the water circulation thru the base of the carbs (unless you're doing a correct restoration), so remove the hose fitting and install a blanking plug.

It was connected to the base of the holley carb. So since it is there I will plumb it to the su carbs. If that doesnt work well will blank it.

Will removing the carbon canister restrict me from getting the car passed through rwc?

• Administrators

Given you have a 77 model 260z and not a 74 model 260z you may find "dodging emissions" a little more difficult. Having said that I'd be surprised. Was the Holley carb connected up to the carbon canister in any way?

• Administrators

I see, well a 74 model 260z had no canister as far as I recall. Example of a 74 260z 2+2 here with no canister in the engine bay.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yOt9AKZ4yXPkI2ti1

My 75 model 260z 2+2 had it though, but it was never hooked up (running British SU's - HS6's) but I never had an issue getting a roadworthy despite a plethora of hoses going to nowhere!

I would say you'd be unlucky to get pulled up on it.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-purpose-of-a-charcoal-canister

1/3rd of car emissions came from fuel evaporating out of the tank in the 1960’s.

The canister was invented to collect these fumes and then pump them into the engine to burn off. The added bonus was that it allowed the tank to pressurize and stop varnish build up and further evaporation while locking out moisture.

It increases the economy marginally, makes fuel systems last longer, and prevents a lot of smog.

All with very simple plumbing.

Perhaps someone with a stock looking engine bay could help post a photo of how the canister is plumbed up?

3. is for fuel vapour (it's a breather for the fuel float chamber) that goes into the orange airbox (which you're missing).

Distributor advance connects to the left hand carb body (just in front of where the SU mounts to the insulator part of the manifold).

You also appear to be missing your fuel rail.

The Carbon Canister won't be used with these SU's since there is no emissions set up on the 240z's (AU market). Like there is with 260z's.

IMG_4976.jpg

What a beautiful engine!!!

What a beautiful engine!!!

Sure is. And you can see in there that he's retained the water circulation system.

But I disconnected and later removed the water circulation system on my '74 260 more than 3 decades ago after one of the hoses failed right on Xmas holidays when I needed the car, deciding it was potentially unreliable with so many hose and pipe connections involved, any one of which could leak. And never looked back with either the flat tops or round tops I installed later. The KISS principle for me.

• 1 month later...

Wow last post was in Feb.

so I finally got my su carbs back from a rebuild.

7weeks later and $1250(rebuild and hydroblast cost)

I am keen to fit them tonight and see how it goes.

Here is a photo of before and after.

I wish I can afford doing that right now. After spending $1800 on getting these su carbs and rebuilt is kind of making me regret not spending the extra $600 ish getting new triple webbers.

If only I had known what the total rebuild cost would have been.

How much is it get those parts electroplated roughly?

• Administrators

I don't think the process is expensive, but making sure you don't lose any of the pieces and putting it back together..

Looking really nice :)

Did the rebuild cost include restoring the heat shield and manifold?

I have just done the same thing as you . I just replaced my 4 barrel with SU.

I ended up going with the Midel HS6 conversion. Seemed expensive for just the carbs and linkage, but was happy not to wait 7 weeks :)

I don't think the process is expensive, but making sure you don't lose any of the pieces and putting it back together..

This is the reason why I gave it to the experts haha

Looking really nice :)

Did the rebuild cost include restoring the heat shield and manifold?

I have just done the same thing as you . I just replaced my 4 barrel with SU.

I ended up going with the Midel HS6 conversion. Seemed expensive for just the carbs and linkage, but was happy not to wait 7 weeks :)

Yea I gave the complete set to them including fuel rails.

4 barrel felt so useless huh?

7week wait tested my patience a lot, hopefully no nasty surprises

What air filters are you running?