Vinyl Dye Products For Armrests

MikeZ

Hey guys,

Has anyone has success dying their armrests with a particular product?

I've gone from cream vinyl door panels to black leather and want something that will be as tough as possible.

If I'm not happy with the result I plan to retrim the armrests in leather, my trimmer has some leather left over and has said he can do it. I'm just a little worried about clearance for the chrome trim at the top of the hand grab part.

Cheers!

As you surmise I don't think the chrome trims will work over the extra thickness unless you ease their openings a bit.

I've used vinyl dyes in the past and not had any problems, make sure the substrates to be recoloured are absolutely pristine though, and that means no silicone residue, Armour All or whatever.

Lots of thin coats. Very smelly stuff, not nice to breathe, use a decent filter mask.

Ok, so I spent a considerable amount of time cleaning them up with plastic and metal scotch brite pads, detergent and plenty of wax and grease remover.

VHT was applied as two light coats and a third medium coat, 10 minutes apart as per the instructions on the can.

Coverage even after the first coat was excellent, full cure is after 7 days. I'll check back in then with some pictures.

Cheers guys!