Spoiler Mounts On The Valance?

72240Z

There are lots of detail differences across the 240Z, 260Z and 280Z models sold in different markets, as well as LHD vs RHD as applicable.

After more than 40 yrs and parts getting swapped around who knows where your valance originated from if not USA-new. I take it your 240Z is LHD and USA-new? Or is it ex-Europe perhaps?

FWIW your 280Z wasn't sold in this part of the world, instead the 260Z with carburetors soldiered on until the 280ZX (confusingly sometimes also badged as 280Z) arrived in about '78 or '9.

My 'Stang has a warm 4-barrel 302 with C10 auto. It left the factory with an A-code 289 and C4. Was one of several Mustangs imported into NZ by a friend, as a rolling shell, in the early '90s. I later bought it and put the car together, over several years, finding a suitable motor and trans and building the car up the way I wanted. Hence the Shelby-style body panels. Still in LHD form. So not at all original, more of a resto-mod than anything.

It's a US 240 but I just purchased a valance on craigslist from Atlanta so I have no idea of it's history. I have never heard of a C10 but I have a C4 and a 302 in a Pinto drag car.

post-107056-0-77767500-1517791500_thumb.jpg
My son is driving in this picture,

Thanks, I think we call that a C5 over here, there is also the pan fill and the case fill in the C4

I haven't heard of a C5. But you're probably right, it's a C4 with pan-fill; I googled it and it seems the 'C10' is an unofficial term used in this part of the world, not a Ford label at all; I have no idea why.  It does have a data tag but pretty much inaccessible; but from now on I'll just refer to it as a C4, everyone knows what that is. Cheers.

Although I think a fair number of NZ-new Zeds came with those valances, I've never actually seen one of those lips installed, including on a couple of ex-UK-origin Zeds floating around back in my NZ days, fibreglass air dams being most popular. They look to be perhaps some kind of flexible material, but our UK forum member could clarify what it is made of and which markets such as the UK might have installed them.

Edited by gilltech

They look to be perhaps some kind of flexible material, but our UK forum member could clarify what it is made of and which markets such as the UK might have installed them.

Your servant, Sir!

q6wdv0.jpg

EMEDKJ.jpg

The first such valance ('front apron') was 62600-E7201, superseded by 62600-N3301 and others (they made them through 1978) and they were specifically for the UK and 'European' models that were equipped with the corresponding 98300-E8100 front spoiler - part of the 'Euro' road package which included a rear spoiler and specific springs/dampers.

The front spoiler was made from an expanded polyurethane material which was relatively flexible. It had steel tabs moulded into it which lined up with the captive nuts in the front apron and lower corner pieces, and unfortunately those tabs eventually tended to rust and 'blow' out of the polyurethane. Lots of spoilers ended up being thrown away because of this...

If such a valance/apron turned up in the USA it could well be the result of a simple part-ordering mistake.