Fairlady Fender Mirrors Needed

JDM-TOY

Good luck!

Suggest trying yahoo auctions but expect to pay $2k for genuine. There is a seller of reproduction versions for about $700aud if you don’t mind repro

Thanks Cracker, yeah I know there not cheap but wouldn't mind the reproduction ones. Where can I get them from ?

Edited by JDM-TOY

Champion of Champions, thanks Gavin. The cars going to get restored on Monday and trying to get parts sorted.

Cheers

Youhan

Champion of Champions, thanks Gavin. The cars going to get restored on Monday and trying to get parts sorted.

Cheers

Youhan

Hey Gavin I just realised I put this in the wrong thread, can you move it to wanted or delete it now that I found the mirrors. Cheers

If you're putting fender mirrors on be aware there is a factory correct location for them. I don't have the diagram to hand but someone else on here will.

Some people in the past have stuffed it up! The old story, measure three times and drill once.

Hey Gilltech thanks for that. That was another question I was going to ask but I found a diagram in a thread and wanted to see if it was the correct one. See attached screenshot of the diagram

post-106017-0-16246200-1517645923_thumb.png

That's the one. The mirrors are definitely well off-set from each other aren't they, in both directions.

I won't be doing it but were I to do so then I would have to mock them up to test the reasoning behind it, as I know with my eye the fact they weren't mirror-image (pun intended) to each other - particularly measured to the bonnet edge - would just annoy me no end.

Maybe there's a happy medium position. Hopefully others on here will chime in and provide some insight and advice.

I have installed genuine fender mirrors on my 240z and used the measurements shown in the above mentioned diagram.

Very happy with the visibility from the mirrors and to be honest you don't notice they are slightly off-set at all. I never did any mock ups or tested other locations however, so I wouldn't know otherwise.

I was too tight to blow $700 on a set of copy mirrors, so I got a set like these

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-240Z-260Z-280Z-510-JDM-Style-Fender-Mirror-Pair-Racing-Mirrors/222809869551?hash=item33e080ccef:g:mpwAAMXQlgtSwxUf

Unfortunately they are plastic, but I will be painting them anyway, so they should look Ok-ish.

That placement diagram is great though. I was wondering how I was going to work that out.

• Administrators

I was too tight to blow $700 on a set of copy mirrors, so I got a set like these

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-240Z-260Z-280Z-510-JDM-Style-Fender-Mirror-Pair-Racing-Mirrors/222809869551?hash=item33e080ccef:g:mpwAAMXQlgtSwxUf

Unfortunately they are plastic, but I will be painting them anyway, so they should look Ok-ish.

That placement diagram is great though. I was wondering how I was going to work that out.

I can't stand those eBay mirrors... personally. But you're decision and your money.

I looked at those mirrors but I didn't like the holes in the stalk. I don't mind spending a little extra as I'm getting the whole car restored so $700 is ok I guess. But I definitely wouldn't pay $1500 to $2000 for a NOS fender mirrors.

Would love to kit out the car in all competition parts though

It's actually part of a sophisticated international plot to make people put their fender mirrors in the *wrong place*, as revenge for them choosing *The Wrong Mirrors*...

Don't tell anyone though. 

Yep. I don't like the holes either. I may try to make a cover for them out of sheet metal. I would love the copy mirrors, but $700 is insanity for them. I will see what I can come up with ;)

Can you do a video on it and give us a shout out,????

• Administrators

I actually have found the reproduction mirrors cheaper on Yahoo! Auctions (than ordering via jdm-car-parts) and it's closer to $450 AUD before postage and before auction/broker fees.

But I think would work out cheaper than ordering from the US, for those interested.

• Administrators

I don't mind spending a little extra as I'm getting the whole car restored so $700 is ok I guess. But I definitely wouldn't pay $1500 to $2000 for a NOS fender mirrors.

What's funny is that before reproductions became available I used to see NOS ones sell for around $700-$800 on Yahoo! Auctions. It seems that since the reproductions became available the NOS ones have soared in value. You would think the opposite would be true. Not sure I can really explain it to be honest..

What's funny is that before reproductions became available I used to see NOS ones sell for around $700-$800 on Yahoo! Auctions. It seems that since the reproductions became available the NOS ones have soared in value. You would think the opposite would be true. Not sure I can really explain it to be honest..

I think instead of investing in Bitcoins let's get a huge order of reproduction fender flares and see what happens lol At the rate Bitcoins are going fender mirrors look like a safer bet.

Just buy up all the original ones and slowly release them to the market like De Beers and diamonds!

I'm glad i paid $120 for my long stalk S30 fender mirrors back in 2010.  ;D I bought them from the US ironically. 

• 1 year later...