Andrew's 260z reborn

Hi all my name is andrew. i started a fairly big project here and ive got big plans for my car so i thought i would keep people informed with my project beacause its a good to get ideas and i got all mine of sites like this.

it would be great to hear feedback too. :)

It began......

Well ive always had a hankering for the mighty z cars after seeing them fanging around the streets of perth. I've just finished my build of my 1977 xc ute with a 351 windsor in it but it wasnt really a very good daily in the end. Lots of power but not a nice ride and very very thirsty. i felt i was concervative with this car but i also gained a lot of confidence building cars through it so i decieded not to hold back on the zed

p1012395be6.th.jpg

So i decided to advertise in my friend the quokka, trading post, for a 260z project. got a call from a guy in armadale and after the haglling was done got a running but rusty 260z for $650. the car was nice but it also hid a few good suprises. she came with recovered seats, 3.7 diff, 2.8lt motor with su's, balanced crankshaft and a 5 speed, rust free doors but a bit of rust in the usual places. only got photos of her in her underwear

dsc00203og6.th.jpg

pb160191nv5.th.jpg

pb160190xq5.th.jpg

i also scored a parts car for 50  bucks. rusty as hell but handy to have.

pa280052zg4.th.jpg

well one of the first job i tackled was the rear tail lights. i always prefered the 240z ones over mine so i went about interpreting mine into those ones cause i think the 240z ones are much less busy and make the car look a bit wider visually

this is what i started with

p2070201yj1.th.jpg

first i fibreglassed up the old reversing lights

p2070198ya0.th.jpg

then bogged its out

p2080204kn6.th.jpg

then primmered it out to make this. normal on the top and mine on the bottem

tnfullcar1ub0.th.jpg

p2080207zr1.th.jpg

however im thinking of moding it more somehow cause ive got to put back on the reverse lights. i bought a vn boot garnish that im gonna cut up and make a full face intergrated together with strip reverse lights just above the numberplate i think...but we will see how much enthuasim i have

i also started work on some LED tailights.  First i got all the lenses out with a heat gun and then made a small insert to go inside the lense. then i will put a whole heap of leds into and then wire up. this is what i made so far.

p4200232rq5.th.jpg

p4220241zw9.th.jpg

ive got a video of the first test .

i also did some work on the front guards. what i did was weld up the seam between the front headlight bucket and the guard and deleted the front indicator near by. this will hopefully visually lengthen the front guards by making that whole section smooth and not busy like original

p3280215pp5.th.jpg

i plan to more the indicator to further back and to use these indicators from a skyline

indicatorstf0.th.jpg

however im not 100% sure where on the back half of the panel to put the indicator?

like on the skyline where it came from?

displaycarimagehv3.th.jpg

ideas?

what else have i done.  i scored a few bargins for the car of late. got these saas bucket seats for $150. Bargin!

dsc00204qp8.th.jpg

and got these ZG flares of Zuess on wazregister.com thanks zuess.

dsc00200wa3.th.jpg

and just recived my poly urathene bush set from energy suspension from america. delivered $250

dsc00201ep4.th.jpg

also i made me a work seat just for funfrom old parts. i think it works well in the shed

hahah

p5040262qe3.th.jpg

Nice start mate !

coupla questions :

what year is your 2+2 ? regarding the energy pro nolathane stuff wouldnt mind a set myself ( 77 260z 2+2 )

Flares are going to be cool . get some photos of that as i want to do the same but worried about the different arse ends to a 2 seater.

as for the side flashers ? I reckon flush mounted where the originals were. They are eyesores i grant you but if you stick it towards the end of the panel you wont be able to graft in those hk monaro flutes that i know you are going to do  :D :D

honestly if you dont need it for rego purposes then dont put them on( nice and clean ) but if you do then yeh like the r33

Just my 2 cents.

mine is a 1976. with the bush sets there is a few for sale on us ebay. i went with the energy suspension one because it fixed a problem that the harder material had in regards to distroying the control arms.

as with the flutes haha very good. that was one of the first things that i was gonna graft in but i think ive gone of them... got some pics of them but

jdillustrated34viewne5.th.jpg

vs

dsc02573gl9.th.jpg

I agree mate. looking at it you want the side to be as flush as you can get it.

The only other idea i have been thinking about is pumping the guards a bit like the topsecret 350z has. but then you'd need to mould the flares into the guard at the back of the front wheel arch. I reckon the step back that the top secret z has is nice as hell. If i had the welding/body skills i'd do it.

We got 2+2 's not like we are going to offend any concourse heavy if we mod it .

post-582-14402348546_thumb.jpg

nice project.

i pretty much had similar ideas like you for my 2+2 but than rationalised few things. i would definetly agree weldign the cones and deleting the indicators. best visual mod i did to the car. now its nice and smooth and makes the front that much longer. you can check my gallery for the pics.

i didnt bother installing side repeaters and i did look at installing clear nismo r33 ones but changed my mind.early z didnt have side repeaters so im going with it never had them.

if i cant run away from it i was going to fabricate led style flashers on the end of the mirrors. bit like Mercedes honda style. but for time being nothing.

i cant beleive u picked that parts car for $50 it even has a front lip which is worth more than that.

good luck with the project and keep us updated.

hah ha the parts car cost me more to get home thna it cost me to buy by the time i hired the trailer. it dosent have a drive line but its so handy just for little things. like i cracked my windscreen removing it but what the hell i have a spare.

nice project.

i didnt bother installing side repeaters and i did look at installing clear nismo r33 ones but changed my mind.early z didnt have side repeaters so im going with it never had them.

yeah i dont want to run any side repeaters either but i thought i would have to for when i take it over the pits?