Replacing A 260Z 2 Seater Centre Console

MikeZ

Hi guys,

So the 1977 2 seat 260z I have has a custom centre console, the previous owner told me the original one was falling apart when he bought it 13 years ago, fair enough.

It's a pretty neat console but I'd really like to replace it with an original or original replica.

The trouble is I'm not sure where to buy one and there appears to be some variations. Not to mention the ones I've seen available have a couple of holes that I can't even figure out.

Here's a run down of what my console currently has:

Manual

Choke

Choke indicator light

Hazard switch

Rear demister

Rear demister indicator light

After market single dim radio

Can anyone provide a photo of how these items are positioned in the original console?

Has anyone bought a console from overseas with any success?

Cheers!

Mike

The 2-seat and 2+2 consoles are basically the same, except for the 2+2 having an ashtray at rear whereas the 2-seat just has a blanking panel.

Unlike the early cars the later cars seemed to generally have a padded lid to the storage bin which also provides an armrest, and I've noticed them on JDM cars.

Hazard switch goes lower centre; rear demister switch to the lower left and indicator light upper left.

Can't help you with the choke and choke light my car doesn't have those.

Find the best console you can from someone parting a car out - they're usually a bit knocked around after 40+ yrs; all crack at the choke lever, most have been cut around to fit better sound systems - and get it plastic welded repaired. Weld up any odd holes where POs have fitted non-standard stuff.

You could buy one in from the USA but shipping will be a killer, plus the $$ exchange rate is bad enough, plus GST. But investigate it yourself, there are several major vendors over there.

Edited by gilltech

Hi Mike, I just bought a new console off ebay from the states for my 2+2 and was very happy with it. It has the padded storage lid and was ~$300 AUD delivered with the current exchange rate and a 10% discount voucher from ebay. Was delivered inside a week of purchase.

It did have the cutout for the ashtray though, and no blanking plate came with it which wasn't a big deal for me as I used the ashtray from my old console.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OEM-260Z-280Z-Center-Console-With-Slot-for-Choke-Lever/263035426782?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thanks guys, I'll go with a new one. I'm getting my head around all the cut outs now.

A couple of things I can see being tricky are the sliding ashtray (I don't have one to fill the hole) and two of the button blanks (small middle square fuel one and the largest lower right one). Google image for reference.

Anyone had success finding any of these 3 parts?

post-106822-0-37485400-1510347846_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mike260

The two switches in that picture are back to front, not that it really matters, but the Hazard switch should be central which is logical.

Early cars mostly had blanking panels; my '74 only had the hazard switch, nothing else, I added the demister switch & light c/o a USA supplier.

Later cars filled up all the cut-outs with accessories so there was more wiring in behind too. The lower RH location was used for a fog light or spotlight switch or somesuch on JDM cars.

I still think the best idea is to to locate a used console complete with the ashtray and fixings, vinyl shifter boot with its fixing clips, and whatever blanking panels may still remain, and fit all those to the new bare console base. You may need the console front fixing bracket too?

I got mine from the Z store (about US$240 + shipping), which I combined with a bunch of other stuff. It's the console with the lid (so, not 100% correct for a '74 2-seater) - but fits like a glove. I actually prefer the lid too, for storing stuff etc.

Ashtrays are easy too. I picked one up via eBay. If you get stuck, I might have a spare that I can part with.

Edited by aj_

Thanks guys, I got lucky on eBay today and found the fog lamp blank and fuel light blank, those are on the way from the US now.

Cheers Aj_, the ashtray and console will be the last bits I buy. I've seen plenty of ashtrays on eBay but a local one would be great - PM me if you're willing to part with it for the right amount of cash.

• 1 month later...