Wiper Arms Etc Lube.

peter t

Hi All, 

After the wipers failed the other weekend, I am cleaning up my spare set and am wondering what would be the best lube to use in both the part the wipers bolt on to and the other parts that have the felt washers between them as per pics. Thanks for advise in advance. Peter T.

post-100733-0-11025100-1509337920_thumb.jpg

post-100733-0-11144400-1509337956_thumb.jpg

post-100733-0-91858700-1509337995_thumb.jpg

That's what I thought Peter. Am using bearing grease on parts in pic 1 and have new boots to go on. Not sure what to use on pic 2 and 3 as these have felt bushings. What did you use on these joints mate? Also the part that connects to the motor shaft has a rubber boot over it that doesn't want to come off. Will take a pic of that bit tomorrow.

Edited by peter t

'gilltech' is absolutely spot on. His post rang a bell and I've just checked in the shed and I used 'Penrite Copper Eze'. I probably got it from Bursons.

I think (?) I also used it on the spindle pins and the door hinges.

Sorry Peter, but just yet another 'senior moment'.

Edited by PeterAllen

Ok now I am stumped. as per the following pic I am trying to work out how the wiper mechinism works. this the bit that attaches to the motor arm. The one out of the car rotates one way but locks up when turned the opposite direction. The spare turns both directions no probs. There is a spring of some sorts in the mix as well . Can anyone point me in the right direction here please.

post-100733-0-76655500-1509508418_thumb.jpg

post-100733-0-69844600-1509508459_thumb.jpg

There should be a nut on the end of the wiper motor shaft. Undo that and you should see two flats machined near the start of the thread.

Place the rectangular slot on the end of the wiper arm over the thread and locate on the machined flats.

I swapped the Datsun for a Holden motor but they are a universal application.

post-100401-0-37933900-1509510184_thumb.jpg

post-100401-0-74309700-1509510186_thumb.jpg

post-100401-0-94898000-1509510188_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeterAllen

There should be a nut on the end of the wiper motor shaft. Undo that and you should see two flats machined near the start of the thread.

Place the rectangular slot on the end of the wiper arm over the thread and locate on the machined flats.

I swapped the Datsun for a Holden motor but they are a universal application.

I got that bit ok mate its just the internal part of the mechanism with the spring etc. What is that supposed to do. One set is totally sized one way. I cant figure what the spring is supposed to do.

I'm trying to remember this from my old images but I think the spring just ensures the thick arm off the motor doesn't foul on the first long arm. With a bit of a soak in WD40 it should rotate a full 3600. The spring acts as a kind on variable thickness spacer.

post-100401-0-42662600-1509519121_thumb.jpg

You can see how Holden achieved the same functioning by using a greased rubber boot on the end of the long arm. It allows 3600 rotation of the ball joint and a little bit of rocking of the arm.

post-100401-0-41763000-1509519786_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeterAllen

I will put my spare set in that rotate fully and are greased with copper grease and see how I go. The rubber boot is stuffed so will have to go without. Can I use  Holden wiper arms and do they fit OK.?

Probably not, at least not without fiddling around with lengths and the attachments to wiper arm spindles.

The end which you had seized, and which on the Holden holds the rubber fitting for the ball joint, is thinner on the Holden arm. I removed the extra plate/shim which is spot welded to the Datsun arm and the boot fitted perfectly. It was only then I discovered the thick 'S' arm attached to the motor was the same fit (including PCD and off-set) on both cars, so I just bolted the entire Datsun assembly, including the 'S' arm, directly to the Holden motor.

Interesting that the two wiper motors were made nearly 35 years apart but had common fittings!

One thing I learnt on my hybrid build was how much car manufactures are really just car assemblers, and how many components are shared across makes and models.  

post-100401-0-12675700-1509525531_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeterAllen