L24 Engine Market Value

JDM-TOY

Probably not much as everyone seems to want to put a L28 in, which is why L28's seem to fetch good money. Unless your like me and putting a matching numbers L24 in your 240z then I think it will add value to your car.

Yeah I agree on the L28 being more desired at the moment. My 24's not a matching number so that's why I'm not so fussed is I sell it. At the moment its more of a space issue for me  

If your L24 is the original 1 that came with your car, don't sell it.

Na not a matching number. I might put it op on the engine register and someone might recognise the engine number. Would rather sell it to someone who really needs to complete their car.

What do you guys think the 24 will fetch price wise? Its in good nick and running, not blowing smoke. 

• Administrators

Na not a matching number. I might put it op on the engine register and someone might recognise the engine number. Would rather sell it to someone who really needs to complete their car.

What do you guys think the 24 will fetch price wise? Its in good nick and running, not blowing smoke. 

I doubt it's what I'm looking for, but what is the engine no.? Also is the block a P30 block or E31 block (early)? Casting code is under exhaust side of the block in the middle.

I would think a running driving and non-smoke blowing L24 has got to be worth at least $2k (when you consider cost of rebuilding a motor) but I tend to view the value of things different to many others these days. Mostly because an L24 is only getting harder to source.

I guess it also depends on if it still has the old style valve seats (brass for leaded fuel) and if you know it's history in terms of rebuilds etc..? Could have come out of a 240K or other L24 powered Datsun/Nissan with a less aggressive cam profile also. Or the later fuel injected Skyline's, what cylinder head does it have? E31 cast heads are more desirable to many than E88's (early ones not later Skyline F.I ones) or other castings...

I doubt it's what I'm looking for, but what is the engine no.? Also is the block a P30 block or E31 block (early)? Casting code is under exhaust side of the block in the middle.

I would think a running driving and non-smoke blowing L24 has got to be worth at least $2k (when you consider cost of rebuilding a motor) but I tend to view the value of things different to many others these days. Mostly because an L24 is only getting harder to source.

I guess it also depends on if it still has the old style valve seats (brass for leaded fuel) and if you know it's history in terms of rebuilds etc..? Could have come out of a 240K or other L24 powered Datsun/Nissan with a less aggressive cam profile also. Or the later fuel injected Skyline's, what cylinder head does it have? E31 cast heads are more desirable to many than E88's (early ones not later Skyline F.I ones) or other castings...

Hi Gav 

Ill get you the engine number as I dont have the paperwork or car with me ATM and I dont know it off by heart. Ill also see what block it is tomorrow as its out of the car at my mates shop. 

I previously had a Toyota 18RG-EU from my early RA23 Celica and I got 3K for it and I did'nt know the history on that one but that was the first gen 2L twin cam with the Yamaha head. but thats a different engine I guess. I guess its what people are willing to pay for these days.  

Edited by JDM-TOY

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Seems it's a very late 73 240z block.

Possibly fitted to a 240z with chassis range:

HS30 1036XX - HS30 1037XX...

It could also have been out of a 240k or another L24 powered Nissan/Datsun of that era... 

Seems it's a very late 73 240z block.

Possibly fitted to a 240z with chassis range:

HS30 1036XX - HS30 1037XX...

It could also have been out of a 240k or another L24 powered Nissan/Datsun of that era...

Thanks Gavin,good to know. My chassis is HS30102369

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure on the bottom end price but whats a L28 and a matching 280xz 5speed worth? With a new clutch and more than perfect running engine.

Love the L series engine but thinking of going RB26DETT, I miss the Gforce and the potential of sliding around every corner with ease.

Edited by JDM-TOY