JDM-TOY

The Build 73 240Z

Ahhhhhhhhh!

Im guessing you already know my frustration and no its not sexually but she does have nice curves the old S30.

So its been over a month and old boy panel beater is beating something but its not metal. Only one quater on the drivers has been bogged and the roof has had a light skim put over it, other than that nothing else. I think im going to rock up and just take the car and find someone else to finish the job, Enough is enough.

6 hours ago, Riceburner said:

See if you can find another shop willing to finish off someone else’s work before taking it away.

On Tuesday Im going to see the panel beater that was working on my car before he left. He literally opened a shop next door so I can just roll it out and take it to his shop. 

I really dislike it when people who waste my time and over promise and under deliver. I would rather he call me and say I cant do the job, come take the car. 

So today I went into the panel shop and to my suprise nothing was done lol. So to fill the void I went and bought a RB26DETT out of a R33 GTR, I pick it up on Firday.

So now that the plans have changed and I will be selling the 280zx L28 and 5spd. The engine is a running engine and the box is the original 280zx 5spd. Will come with a new clutch and SW headders. Haven't decided on a price yet. 

Lets see how the car progresses by next week as he promised me he will get stuck into my car

20181204_140412.jpg

2 hours ago, kamarchi said:

If you do not mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

The RB26 is currently selling at market price due to the value of the GTR's climbing up. I paid in and around, over and under the 7k mark for the motor. There is one selling in Queensland for $8990.00 out of a R34 https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/nerang/engine-engine-parts-transmission/r34-gtr-n1-engine-complete-rb26dett-motor-rb26/1202854867 . There's a R32 RB26 selling for $5500 https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/riverton/engine-engine-parts-transmission/rb26-gtr-engine-motor/1203025061 but for what he claims it should be selling for more. 

6 minutes ago, kamarchi said:

Thanks for the info

Have a friend heading over to japan next year so might look at importing one

Thats awesome. Try to get as many parts as you can if its cheaper.

Hey Guys 

Just a small update, picked up the RB26 today and took a heap of clips, nuts and bolts to get cadmium gold plated. Mostly I had the R33 front caliper bits and also my bonnet hinges. Tomorrow I will take the calipers to get powder coated in gloss black and have the nissan letters pin stripped in white. 

I called Just Jap spairs looking gor a RB25 5 speed and they said they only sell new OME gearboxes from Nissan for 3K. I can pick up a 2nd hand one up for $1300 and risk it being  damaged but im tempted knowing that I can get a brand new but 3K is a little on the high side. Ill wait after Christmas and see what happens.

So I purchased a 500kg engine stand from super cheap thinking it will hold the engine but I was wrong. As I put the engine on the stand and lowered the hoist the engine fell forward and nearly flipped lol, lucky the engine was still on the hoist. I think the stand needs longer legs to carry the RB weight but hopefully should be ok for the L28 engine to sit on. 

So I purchased the RB without the manifold or turbo, computer and wiring. Looking at single turbo and custom manifold, haven't decided on what turbo yet. But I definitely will go down the Haltec elite path. Wiring I will leave to Justin 

Love my Caddy Van so useful with plenty of room and strap points.

Happy Restorations

20181210_193117.jpg

20181210_195154.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

That engine stand is a joke.. an Rb26 shouldn't weigh 500kg. But perhaps it's made for V engines with all the weight closer to the post. Not a straight 6?

The stand I bought, which you saw was a $50 Gumtree job. Holds the L28 just fine. Ha.

8 hours ago, Cozza said:

Are you sure you’ve assembled the stand correctly? It looks like these tension straps  should go to the back face of the rear box section.

maybe?

Cozza’s correct, turn the rear bar around.  

Very funny! ;D I’m the same I never read instructions.

EF847BE6-CA62-4D66-9846-B03BD04A1A4D.jpeg

13 hours ago, gav240z said:

That engine stand is a joke.. an Rb26 shouldn't weigh 500kg. But perhaps it's made for V engines with all the weight closer to the post. Not a straight 6?

The stand I bought, which you saw was a $50 Gumtree job. Holds the L28 just fine. Ha.

Hey Gavin, yeah it is. It was a headache to put together and then I didn't use it. 

Yeah your stand is more practical. I remembered you and I bought a box of washers lol if you need any let me kmow lol.

@Riceburner yeah mee too but it was a good enough guess though lol. @Cozza I will flip them around and give it another go. I also need to change the bolts as they are short about a inch. 

Hey guys 

Small update, I finally managed to get the R33 GTS-T calipers powder coated and all the clips, nuts and bolts enamel coated. Alao I had spare bolts and washers for the rear control arms so I got them coated too. 

I had a pair of bonnet hinges sitting around so I decided to get them coated too. The ones on the car had been painted and due to the hinges opening and rubbing the paint had all chipped off. So I will take them off and replace with the coated ones. 

The calipers are black but the office had cool white LED lights so they look a little blueish but came up mint

Resized_20181219_080431(2)(1).jpg

Resized_20181219_080339.jpg

20181221_102005.jpg

20181221_101302.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

I rambled on that nothing was getting done that I forgot to updated on small work done on the rear quaters recently. 

So one issue but a small one, is that the guards that I purchased from Tabco didn't have the original line moulded in them. So now its all up to the panel beater to block up the quaters to get those lines looking like they are on the panels. 

I dropped the rear end coilovers and she sits nice even without the Watanabes on. Still has 3 inches to go lower.

Anyways some update pics 

20181211_141916.jpg

20181211_141851.jpg

20181211_141755.jpg

Finally some progress on the 240z, I was starting to lose my mind. 

So the rear quaters, rear beaver panel and roof have been repaird and bogged up and sprayed in primer. 

I delivered the RB26 engine, 25 gearbox and the RD25 oil sump to the guys who will be fabricating the mounts and modifying the RD sump to suit. Once the engine and box are in and mounted correctly they will be pulled out are the car will be put in highfill then will be ready for paint. 

Hopefully this happens before Christmas 

20190211_140830.jpg

20190211_140726.jpg

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Like.... I'm happy for you and all.... but ya know.... IT MEANS MY CAR IS NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!

hopefully before Christmas? hopefully before next month i say!!!!!

Rudi.

O0