Electric Radiator Fan Control .

zeds4ever

The thermostat control unit that I have been using in the past has failed . Want to use a different set up , any suggestions other than a switch system would be appreciated .

Regards : Alan 

Thanks Kato .

Noticed that there is a spare port in the 280ZX Thermostat housing which is blanked off , thinking of drilling blanking plate out & installing a lower rated sender in the port which will be hooked up to the earth set up on the fan . This should allow the motor to warm up without fan functioning until the Sender closes & then activates the fan in turn , as the active will be a solid connection . Wonder if Is this will be OK ?.

Regards : Alan .

Thanks Kato .

Noticed that there is a spare port in the 280ZX Thermostat housing which is blanked off , thinking of drilling blanking plate out & installing a lower rated sender in the port which will be hooked up to the earth set up on the fan . This should allow the motor to warm up without fan functioning until the Sender closes & then activates the fan in turn , as the active will be a solid connection . Wonder if Is this will be OK ?.

Regards : Alan .

This will work if you use a fan control sender but you'll still need a relay to drive the fan and switch the relay with the sender.

You can get fan control senders in various temp ranges, they usually have a small hysteresis window so they switch on at say 90 and then switch off again at 85.

I'm using a generic BMW sender from eBay I think that mounts in the L28 thermostat housing.

Roger

I removed the thermo vacuum switch from my thermo housing which has thread pitch of 16x1.5? Had a thermo switch at work from a Hyosung GT650R. On at 90ish off 85ish. Seems to work well at that temp. The one I was supplied with my thermos fan kit was too low and the fan would come on even when I was cruising along.

• 1 month later...

I have got a on off thermos switch in line in the top rad hose.  About the only time the fans turn on is after I have stopped. The big kick arse chinese radiator keeps it running cool. Page 18 of my build thread. Fans are run through a relay I have the craig davis switches that come with the fans if you want them.