Home Built Z 'full Video Build'

• Administrators

I suspect when you fit the torsion bars the nose of the bonnet is going to sit up.. I think the reproduction bonnet is slightly flatter than it should be. It needs a bit more curvature.

I also noticed on mine that it sat a little too close to the windscreen cowl panel compared to the OEM bonnet. Wondering if you'll encounter the same issue?

• Administrators

You can elongate the mounting holes on the hood. I noticed they are smaller than the OEM ones so partially why it might sit further back toward the cowl than otherwise. For me personally though before I started to grind, bend, stretch anything etc.. I wanted to take measurements from another car and see how far out it is and then look at tweaking things to fit.

Hey Jeff not sure how you tested how the valves seal but I have been shown a really easy way. If you flip your head over and drop both exhaust and intake valves in then fill the chamber up with water enough to cover the valves. Grab your air compressor nossle and give it a light blast with air through the exhaust or intake port. Try not to cover 2 much of the port with your hands or the nossle as this will force the valve up rather than letting showing where a small leak is past the valve and seat. Youtube has a few good vids of how this is done.

Hope this helps

This week I have chosen to have a big swing at getting the bodywork on the Z finished.

I know the feeling Jeff, its a long process. You put it on you rub it off then you do it again then move onto the next bit..............

Jeff

Tip for next time - BBQ your rocker cover !

Seriously though, the paint can recommends a temp for baking, my old faithful 6 burner BBQ with roasting hood down maintained the perfect temp with just one burner at one end on full. Set up a few bricks or similar at the opposite end of the BBQ, throw 3 coats of paint on, sit the cover on the bricks in the BBQ and bake for the recommended time and you'll get beautiful tight wrinkles. Personal preference and all that, but I prefer the baked finish to air drying alone.

Also works in the kitchen oven, only did that once while the wife was away for the weekend, haven't been game to try it again. Especially after the great "valve guide installation" oven incident of 2010......

post-100293-0-96410900-1526044711_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1600dave

• Administrators

I may try something like that next time, although not in the oven. Mrs Jeff would not be too happy about that ;)

Think about the blooper reel potential!

As I said on the YouTube comments I used a heat gun from about 30 cms out and it worked really well. Good consistent wrinkles is what you want.

Although sadly sanding down the letters left a dullish grey over my red paint that wouldn't come off. So I have to mask it again and repaint a couple of coats to give it that nice deep redish look again.

Only thing I'm not sure about is how durable the paint is and how long it will look good for. I would like to get a powder coating set up and second hand electric oven in future.

I had my brake calipers powdercoated recently and that stuff seems very durable.

Is the “Great Valve Guide Installation” incident a story you can tell us about or taboo?

I thought I'd get the old guides out easier by heating the head in the oven while the wife was out. Head wasn't as clean as I thought. Engine oil in an oven makes a bad smell in the kitchen. Bad smell hangs around a long time, long enough for wife to get home. Bad smell in the Kitchen makes wife unhappy, Unhappy wife makes Dave unhappy.

I did think about heating it up, but the can said that if you heat it you get bigger wrinkles, and I wanted them tighter. 

My experience is the opposite. First one I did I air dried and wasn;t happy with the appearance so tried again by baking it and wrinkles were much tighter. 

Only thing I'm not sure about is how durable the paint is and how long it will look good for.

Did the cover on my race engine in 2010, its still looking as good as the day I did it (well, except for a liberal coating of oil since Bathurst last November...) Also did the rocker cover on my MX5 in wrinkle red 2-3 years ago and its still looking great.

post-100293-0-50867900-1526091314_thumb.jpg

Lol, I could imagine a BBQ at Daves place... sirloins, 4 quater chops, salad, L28 rocker, sausages.....

Don't forget Possum. We had to forego BBQ's for a few months last spring because these guys (there's a mother and baby) took up residence in the BBQ and the wife / daughter didn't want to evict them from their home

post-100293-0-01318000-1526090978_thumb.jpg 

Edited by 1600dave

Dave, you’ve probably got a couple red backs round your gas bottle too. That’s where they like to be at my place.

I can imagine your wife’s reaction with engine oil smoke in the kitchen. ????

Probably wouldn’t have been funny at the time though.

We did a kitchen Reno a few years back so I put our old oven in the shed. Its not quite as big as a but bbq keeps me out of trouble.