Home Built Z 'full Video Build'

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

Coming together nicely. Throw your notepad away and put a large white board on the wall. Separate the job into sections and finish a section at a time before moving on to the next one. Cross them off as you complete them. Also, as and incentive, the white board will be the first thing you see when entering the workshop and this will be a reminder of the next job to complete. Don't even consider installing the engine till all the engine bay fittings are in place. (electrics, fuel lines, brake lines, master cylinders, brake boosters, etc.).

Keep up the good work.

David (Enzo)

• 3 weeks later...

I do like the Alcantar, I’m planing a simmilar approach to what you have taken. The dark grey (it looks to be charcoal?) blue colour combo will be very posh. Did you get the fabric from fabtex? eBay? If you mention this in the video I missed it, sorry. The alternative product you are using is it “Auto Suede”? 

Jeff

1 hour ago, CBR Jeff said:

I do like the Alcantar, I’m planing a simmilar approach to what you have taken. The dark grey (it looks to be charcoal?) blue colour combo will be very posh. Did you get the fabric from fabtex? eBay? If you mention this in the video I missed it, sorry. The alternative product you are using is it “Auto Suede”? 

Jeff

I talk about it in the headliner video, but basically Alcantara is the brand name of a type of Micro Suede. Micro Suede is what you are looking for. I got mine from a big Motor Trimming supplier in Sydney, Daleys.

Thanks Jeff

There are quite a few options for the Alcantara “copy” product.  I was looking at the Auto Suede brand and was wondering what one you decided to use. I assume they are all very similar? I’ll look up Daleys and check them out. 

I have also been looking at getting a few things flocked. We have used Napean Flock a few times for dashboards in race and rally cars, with pleasing results.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

Jeff. I liked the idea of using foil covered cardboard which basically removes the need for a release agent.

Another option, if you can find an object shaped to match your need, is to wrap the backing object in a 'Glad Wrap'-type material. It can save using too much bog and associated sanding time. Also, 'Plasticine' is handy as a backing source on smaller areas, it can shaped to the near exact profile and doesn't stick to the new fibreglass.

Note: A crucial phase with the first technique is to wash the object after use and return it to the kitchen before your other-half questions its disappearance!

Edited by PeterAllen

For what it’s worth. I think the process of wrapping the Datsun plastic component is a good one as the added material gives the old bits much needed strength and durability and will probably allow them to be removed and cleaned without complete failure in the future. We use a aluminium foil tape at work that is about 0.1 mm thick and very workable. I’m planing on putting a strip or layer of this on the back side of some of the panes to give more strength and some insulation factor.

27 minutes ago, PeterAllen said:

Note: A crucial phase with this technique is to wash the object after use and return it to the kitchen before your other-half questions its disappearance!

Yep 100%. You are a wise man Peter.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff