Home Built Z 'full Video Build'

Hi Jeff, If you have to drill the Moustache bar it is not the correct one for the diff. There were 3x different bars for the Datsuns. Two for the early models and a different one for the R200 diff. From memory the earlier one for the R180 was straighter. Then when Datsun moved the diff to better align with the wheels the second bar had a bit of a curve to compliment the offset. Then the R200 bar had more of a curve and was of heavier construction . The R200 also had larger studs which required bigger holes in the bar and the spacing was slightly different. The bar should also be on the diff side of the upright link bracing.

David.

49 minutes ago, Enzo said:

Hi Jeff, If you have to drill the Moustache bar it is not the correct one for the diff. There were 3x different bars for the Datsuns. Two for the early models and a different one for the R200 diff. From memory the earlier one for the R180 was straighter. Then when Datsun moved the diff to better align with the wheels the second bar had a bit of a curve to compliment the offset. Then the R200 bar had more of a curve and was of heavier construction . The R200 also had larger studs which required bigger holes in the bar and the spacing was slightly different. The bar should also be on the diff side of the upright link bracing.

David.

The issue I have seen and that has been pointed out to me, is that different years had different bars and some of them had the curls of the moustache bars going one way and some years the other way. That is also the case, that some moustache bars go on one side of the upright bracing and some went on the other side.

The issue I have seen and that has been pointed out to me, is that different years had different bars and some of them had the curls of the moustache bars going one way and some years the other way. That is also the case, that some moustache bars go on one side of the upright bracing and some went on the other side.

Maybe so. But I've also seen several 240Zs with substitute diffs installed and their non-matching moustache bars mounted whichever way round to best fit and installed incorrectly. People use whatever they can get their hands on to get mobile. So take measurements off an original car if you can.

Edited by gilltech

Jeff you have a few things assembled wrongly. Check you have the diff mount the correct way around. From memory they will go on either way but only one is correct. The moustache bar appears to be facing the wrong way and is on the wrong side of the hangers.

As for having to drill the holes out in the moustache bar I suspect you either have a different model bar or the diff end plate is not an original one. The moustache bar should have tension on it as it acts as a spring to keep the diff in the forward position.

Attached is an assembly diagram that may be of assistance.

Jeff

Figure-RA-1[1].png

3 hours ago, CBR Jeff said:

Jeff you have a few things assembled wrongly. Check you have the diff mount the correct way around. From memory they will go on either way but only one is correct. The moustache bar appears to be facing the wrong way and is on the wrong side of the hangers.

As for having to drill the holes out in the moustache bar I suspect you either have a different model bar or the diff end plate is not an original one. The moustache bar should have tension on it as it acts as a spring to keep the diff in the forward position.

Attached is an assembly diagram that may be of assistance.

Jeff

Figure-RA-1[1].png

I have had a whole heap of advice over the last few days from a bunch of different sources and the issue is that the image here is correct for that year, but they changed it several times, and there are several different parts that changed from year to year, not just model to model. In my case, the car is a 71, the gearbox, diff, etc, etc, could be from anywhere. From what I have now been told, the early cars had the moustache bar further forward, but there were issues with the angle of the axels and they wore out faster, so they moved the diff further back. For my situation I think the best way for me to get the correct clearances, is to make up a simple 5mm spacer to put between the diff and the moustache bar. Otherwise I could be banging my head against a brick wall for ages trying to source all of the different moustache bars and diffs, etc until I actually find the right combination that fits.

There was three different moustache bars for the 2 seater but they had commonality in the assembly of the components. The parts manual has the following listed.

up to 06/71 was part number 55450-E4101

07/71 to 07/73 was part number 55450-E8300 

08/72 onwards was part number 55450-N3701

55450-N3701 was also used for the  2+2 and 55450-N4700 for the Auto

The moustache bar is a spring if you look at it it will only work effectively in one direction. That direction is as per the picture above.

Jeff

As you've had to drill the bolt holes out on the moustache bar to suit the diff then one or other is a mis-match to the car. The R180 diff hanger bolts are slightly closer together than those of the R200 diff, so I'm thinking you have a R200 type moustache bar - you will need a spacer to use it with a R180 which is shorter than the R200. More so again if your car is a very early one with the R180 diff mounted further forward. But 5mm sounds about right for a R180 on a R200 bar.

As CBR Jeff says, the bar is spring steel which flexes, and there should be almost a finger clearance between it and the steel frame hangers.

To add more context to above the R180 differential was used in the cars up to July 1973 and after August 1976. The R200 was used from August 1973.

The R180 had several iterations but they used the same housing up to 07/76 and another housing from 08/76. The R200 all used the same housing.

Jeff

17 minutes ago, HomeBuiltByJeff said:

So from my research, most cars seem to have the moustache bar in 'backwards' and behind the uprights compared to that picture above. Are they all supposed to be as shown in that pic or not. What do you guys all have?

Jeff. Install it as shown in the drawing. It will fit and I think you will be surprised the difference it makes. You do need to give the moustache bar a flex to get it into position onto the  suspension mounting bolt as it is supposed to have an amount of pre load on it. I have found it easier to install one side then the other. It only takes half an hour to drop the entire assembly out and put it back in again.

I have never seen one installed as you have installed it. The data in the parts manuals do not support the comments you made in your early post from feed back you have recived from others.

Jeff

This isn't exhaustive by any means just my observations. The early "forward mount" R180 and R200 both have pretty flat moustache bars and the rearward mount R180s have more of a bend in them.

The forward mount also had a flat rear crossmember while the others had one with a pronounced bend for clearance.

Early forward mount setup.

6C44C1F1-1915-4FA8-8571-2F26191F9299.jpe

Early and later crossmembers

09EDA4E0-005F-4C2B-93E2-72C87909A059.jpe

Moustache bars, ignore the incorrect labels, top is early R180 forward mount, middle is standard 240/260 R180 and the bottom is R200 (I think!)

EA73DD04-B2A3-491F-BE99-18474E477824.jpe

B2349580-1BAB-479C-AF54-43C2503DE5DC.jpe

20 minutes ago, RLY240 said:

This isn't exhaustive by any means just my observations. The early "forward mount" R180 and R200 both have pretty flat moustache bars and the rearward mount R180s have more of a bend in them.

The forward mount also had a flat rear crossmember while the others had one with a pronounced bend for clearance.

Early forward mount setup.

6C44C1F1-1915-4FA8-8571-2F26191F9299.jpe

Early and later crossmembers

09EDA4E0-005F-4C2B-93E2-72C87909A059.jpe

Moustache bars, ignore the incorrect labels, top is early R180 forward mount, middle is standard 240/260 R180 and the bottom is R200 (I think!)

EA73DD04-B2A3-491F-BE99-18474E477824.jpe

B2349580-1BAB-479C-AF54-43C2503DE5DC.jpe

I will have a play with the one I have. If I can turn it around and still get it mounted without being under too much tension I will.

1 minute ago, HomeBuiltByJeff said:

I will have a play with the one I have. If I can turn it around and still get it mounted without being under too much tension I will.

I wouldn't be too stressed, if you can make one work that should be fine. I'm pretty sure one of mine has been butchered to fit and it's still going strong.