Blasting And Paint Stripping?

foz

So I finally have the 240 ready to start the bodywork, just need to finish the rotisserie

My thoughts were to get the underside, engine bay, and interior blasted with garnet. And then paint strip all body panels.

Thoughts on this process, and any suggestions for a blaster in Melbourne who knows what they are doing would be appreciated

cheers

post-100176-0-83857800-1503894577_thumb.jpg

post-100176-0-23843300-1503894727_thumb.jpg

So I finally have the 240 ready to start the bodywork, just need to finish the rotisserie

My thoughts were to get the underside, engine bay, and interior blasted with garnet. And then paint strip all body panels.

Thoughts on this process, and any suggestions for a blaster in Melbourne who knows what they are doing would be appreciated

cheers

I noticed supercheap had engine stands on special at the moment.

If you were thinking of morphing them into your rotisserie.

Mick

• Administrators

Get the full thing blasted and put in epoxy primer right after.

Paint stripping is a pain in the arse to do mechanically... 

By the way what chassis number is your 240z? I see some 907 Green in there?

• Administrators

I don't know exact costs to get someone to do it and I don't know if I can recommend anyone since I do a lot of my body work myself so far.

However next year marks 10 years for me at the same company, I should quality of long service leave, I am thinking I will take 2 months off and book my car in here.

http://motorretro.com.au/

Instead of going to work each day I'll go to the workshop and work on the S30Z everyday and get it ready for paint or even get it painted!

Not cheap, but next best option to doing the tafe class.

• Administrators

If you do use a chemical stripper make sure you wear appropriate protection and do so in a well ventilated area!

This is a very gentle method of paint removal for external panels. I wouldn't use it inside the car myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, thanks for the info.
Gav- yes original colour 907, still has the sticker. I'll be repainting it as per original colour when we get to that bit.

Vin 317

post-100176-0-66612900-1505299663_thumb.jpg

Next week im getting it blasted, garnet interior, underside and engine bay, soda for the panels, then epoxy primer as you suggested.

Does the epoxy primer determine what the kind of paint needs to be used later on. Was hoping to use an acrylic simply for ease of use (supposedly) 

Ive just been reading on here about rust  prevention treatment, so I'm assuming everywhere that the paint doesn't reach is where the treatment is applied?

Is there a forum topic on the site that addresses how to remove the rusty panel in the photo, and where is a good place to buy the replacements? I've had a look but there is so much great info on the site its hard to find.

post-100176-0-16337200-1505300349_thumb.jpg

post-100176-0-86175900-1505300434_thumb.jpg

yes, dogleg and lower panels eg sills from zcarparts in the us

most panel beaters reckon to stick with one combo or the other, although i've done my car in acrylic with some panel in 2 pack primer and it came out ok

mots common rust treatment for the places you can't reach is to inject some fish oil into the sill cavity

• Administrators

Jason I recommend Advanced Abrasive Blasting at Brookvale. Gav let me know if you book in to motorretro as they are my old TAFE teachers, would come and check out the car and give you a hand if they will let me.

Have to see how things go after this year, there is talk of moving the course to Ultimo Tafe, but not sure how that is going to work. Convenient for me as I'm in Pyrmont for work but carrying large panels and parking in that area is going to be interesting to say the least.

Happy to have help!

• 2 years later...