Wtb: Dream Project Car

davewatson

Hi all, 

I've decided that I'm at a point in my life where I can take on my dream project car. I'm after a 2 seater, manual, 260Z (a winning combo). Realistically the only condition that concerns me is rust - otherwise I'm quite open to what could be a considerable amount of work. I'm willing to travel for the right car/price. 

Kind Regards, 

Dave

There is a fire damaged one on ebay that might be your kinda project in NSW.

I had seen this; as nice as it would be rust-free - Its a lot of money for something I would be looking to sourcing anoriginal engine/gearbox to get back into it. If the asking price was considerably less, I would consider it - but unfortunately its out budget for what it is (for me anyway). 

That's the spirit!

The only rust that scares me is the structural kind, but I've found NOS sections all around the world.

Hopefully I'm not biting off more than I can chew; however I think my stubbornness in finishing a project will prevail. 

What do you mean by NOS sections? 

I should re-iterate, I'm not against rust altogether - I'm just cognizant of the amount of rust that I bite off. 

• Administrators

Hopefully I'm not biting off more than I can chew; however I think my stubbornness in finishing a project will prevail. 

What do you mean by NOS sections? 

I should re-iterate, I'm not against rust altogether - I'm just cognizant of the amount of rust that I bite off. 

NOS = New Old Stock.

I've managed to find NOS rear 1/4 sections and NOS bonnet/hood recently. (Refer attached pics) If you're willing to pay the price you can find this stuff still but it is getting harder.

IMG_20170810_110147.jpg

proxy (1).jpeg

proxy.jpeg

A heads up for anyone intersted in this 260Z. I spoke to the owner & he told me that the car was on the hoist up in the air when the workshop was engulfed in flames so the whole bottom of the car is burnt & the body deadener inside & out is completely fried, the fuel lines also caught alight which fried the engine bay & all the plastics on the inside including the wiring has melted from the heat. I think the fire was more intense than others probably think because the alloy Ford GT mirror on the left has completely melted away. Oh, & he wont sell it for under $8K. 

• Administrators

My personal opinion is buy a rusted car, buy a bent car, but buying a fire damaged car... that's a whole other kettle of fish.. $8k is far too much. I personally wouldn't touch it myself.

If cars worth over half a mill cannot be fixed after fire... well... a humble RS30 is a lost cause.

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/fire-destroys-iconic-cars/24120/

NOS = New Old Stock.

I've managed to find NOS rear 1/4 sections and NOS bonnet/hood recently. (Refer attached pics) If you're willing to pay the price you can find this stuff still but it is getting harder.

Thats incredible - where do you begin to find things like this? 

A heads up for anyone intersted in this 260Z. I spoke to the owner & he told me that the car was on the hoist up in the air when the workshop was engulfed in flames so the whole bottom of the car is burnt & the body deadener inside & out is completely fried, the fuel lines also caught alight which fried the engine bay & all the plastics on the inside including the wiring has melted from the heat. I think the fire was more intense than others probably think because the alloy Ford GT mirror on the left has completely melted away. Oh, & he wont sell it for under $8K. 

Thanks for the heads up - I truly appreciate it. As gav240z mentioned; its probably for too deep a can of worms. And if he's not negotiable on price, it's a lot of money for car which will require almost every part aside the shell both sourced and replaced. Although if it were truly rust free, it could be a great starting point - but I think that becomes a bigger project than I'd ideally like. 

My personal opinion is buy a rusted car, buy a bent car, but buying a fire damaged car... that's a whole other kettle of fish.. $8k is far too much. I personally wouldn't touch it myself.

If cars worth over half a mill cannot be fixed after fire... well... a humble RS30 is a lost cause.

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/fire-destroys-iconic-cars/24120/

Thanks mate - a pity about those cars; interesting read. And I think I tend to agree with you on the fire damaged car. 

Will just have to keep looking! - Something will turn up eventually. I've been having an internal argument about the 2 seater vs 2+2 - I love the lines that the 2 seater has (and had a 2 seater 300zx when I was younger), but was thinking about being able to actually use it - with my partner, myself and my pupper; the 2+2 makes much more sense, is far more plentiful, and considerably cheaper... 

Fingers crossed something comes up! Thanks :)