Tutorial: S1 280ZX Rear Disc Brake Conversion for 240/260Z.

Toecutter....

send member 'Mayhem' an email asking him to measure the discs he bought off me - I bought them brand new from MSA in America - including freight it was still cheaper than buying them here !. Once you know the disk size, you will then know if its S1 or S2 and the Calipers are also from the same Series....I used to have this info recorded somewhere but cant for the life of me find it. I am pretty sure that its the S2 stuff, but cant be sure enough to tell you with any degree of certainty. You can also just buy the whole kit at once from MSA ! check out their website.

Nzeder....youre looking at a rear disc conversion......have you looked at the pics and thread of mine about the Arizona Z Car conversion with my Added Mechanical Spot caliper for a handbrake ?

I'm fairly sure the kit from MSA is the maxima caliper rear disc conversion. Beware. You could end up like me if you purchase those.

I'm certain what i bought was a Stage 2 rear conversion kit which MSA sells.

Nzeder....youre looking at a rear disc conversion......have you looked at the pics and thread of mine about the Arizona Z Car conversion with my Added Mechanical Spot caliper for a handbrake ?

Yes I have seen that - I have some Porsche Boxster mono block calipers that I got for the right price so I am using these. The rear is designed for a 20mm vented rotor that is 290mm in size. I am going to use a Z32 300zx rear rotor which is 297mm x 18mm thick with a hat of 63mm. These have an internal drum ID of 172mm. So now I am just looking into a simple backing plate mod using a common Commodore backing plate. However their internal drum is 160mm so I will be looking at getting some new linings added that will take the ID out to the 172mm ie some extra 6mm of brake material on each shoe. I was looking into the VP-VQ IRS senator rear rotor as these have the 160mm drum and the following rotor spec. 280mm x 20mm with hat of 67mm but the centre hole is 70mm and PDC is 5x 120mm via the 240z of 68mm and 4x 114.3mm. The only thing that has put me off these rear rotors is that they are not that common = limited suppliers. With the Z32 rotor there are number of rotor suppliers as these are also the same rotors used on some of the Skylines (R32, R33 and R34) and other than the mod to the shoes you can order the rotors in 4x114.3 from some suppliers = no mods to the rotor.

Sorry for the slight high jack this is why I have been looking into other rear conversion to see what size hat is used on these conversion so I know what alternative rotors I could use. The 280zx S1 conversion uses a 68mm hat and this is the biggest you can go without doing other mods. So this lead me to the VP-VQ HSV IRS rear rotor and also a Subaru rear rotor which is 290x18 with 67.5 hat. The issue with the Subaru rotor is the shape around the stud axles as the Subaru has a 5x100mm PDC their rotor has a stepped design. The smallest part of the step is 129mm = no way will a 240z stub fit in here ever. So a spacer between the rotor and stub would be required. The Subaru uses a 170mm internal drum. The issue with using the Z32 shoes is their height they fowl on the back of the 240z stub so this is why I am looking at the Commodore VN/VP internal drum as they have a much lower profile. The other setup I have that does work is a 190mm internal drum as used on the new Commodores and most Falcons since the EL range - however these have a much smaller hat and this setup does not work with the Porsche monobloc calipers that I have. I could just get some different calipers but my pedal box that I have with the master cylinder has be calculated with the piston sizing for the Porshce calipers so I would be up for new calipers and master cyclinders vs a mod to the shoes.

So this is a lot of stuffing around but once I have the solution down I will be set with rear disc conversion that is using a caliper with dust seals (not a legal requirement here in NZ but I live in the country on a non sealed road = lost of dust) and an internal drum for the park/hand brake.

And with all this stuffing around etc it would have been easier to just purchase a vented kit like this

http://silverminemotors.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=38 before I got the Porsche calipers and master cylinder setup.

So back on topic now guys - sorry. For a straight disc to drum conversion either of the S1 or S2 280zx conversion is a good way to go. If you want to upgrade the front brakes then you should consider a larger rear piston setup to put the bias back in a good range again. A friend here in NZ with this race car had the MM conversion on the rear ie Z31 rear rotor (290mm x 10mm with 47mm hat) and the S31 caliper. But when he upgraded his fronts from Z31/Toyota 4x4 to a 12.2 x 1.25 (310mm x 32mm) with a large 4 pot we worked out the back was only every going to via 10% max. So he modified the MM brackets (cut the ears down and redrilled lower) the install Z32 rear rotors and calipers (the MM bracket had the correct offset already...bonus) the installed a hydraulic handbrake. So I am now heading in the same path as my friend but as my car will see more of the street I am not going for a hydraulic handbrake hence all must work to get an internal drum setup to go with my 4 pots on the rear.

There I go again off topic (sort of still talking about rear brakes just not the 280zx conversion now)

So my views

280zx rear conversion = good for drum replacement for like performance.

Consider something else if you will be running anything larger than the common Toy 4x4 front conversion.

Toecutter....

send member 'Mayhem' an email asking him to measure the discs he bought off me - I bought them brand new from MSA in America - including freight it was still cheaper than buying them here !. Once you know the disk size, you will then know if its S1 or S2 and the Calipers are also from the same Series....I used to have this info recorded somewhere but cant for the life of me find it. I am pretty sure that its the S2 stuff, but cant be sure enough to tell you with any degree of certainty. You can also just buy the whole kit at once from MSA ! check out their website.

Thanks,

I'll get in touch with Mayhem.

Sulio

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

An update on which Maxima brackets SHOULD'NT be bought for the 280zx rear disc conversion. There is a fella selling the 86-88 Maxima bracket which is flat and has a smaller diameter bore (ie 70mm vs the 84ish mm it should be) this caliper does not work without a ridiculous amount of work. The offset of the caliper is also wrong. E-bay seller link below.

The correct Maxima bracket is the 84-86 from memory but there is an obvious difference as per pics below:

This is the WRONG one, (86-88).

5c55_1.JPG

...and this below is correct I believe, you see that it is offset.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2304.0;attach=3962;image

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=139445&highlight=maxima+brackets

...and this is the guy selling the 86-88 brackets that I bought and should not have. I WOULD NOT BUY THESE (IF I HAD OF KNOWN!).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240z-260z-280z-rear-disc-conversion-brackets_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34199QQihZ003QQitemZ130271445696QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Sulio

• 3 months later...

If anyone is after calipers I was at pick payngo in ringwood about a fortnight ago and they had calipers on a 280z which looked the same as Lurch's. If your after series 2 calipers datspares in clayton have a set in stock but no pad clips though, I got the last complete set :)

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

With regard to removal of valve from master cylinder. I have fitted a 280Z m/cylinder to my 260Z, will this apply in this case.

Also with regard to caliper brackets, are there two types to suit S1 & S2. 

Finally do I need to change brake booster to a 280Z unit.                                                                                         

"Great item"    . Alan

In regards to the 280ZX conversion using the Maxima brackets, in North America, they are the "late" 280ZX calipers that are used, I would dare call them the "S2" that is being refered to in this thread. They look just like the red ones pictured earlier in this thread.

I have this same set-up on my '73 240Z. I will be changing it soon though.  8)

I'll have to consider removing that residual valve, I haven't had any problems thus far, over 2 years of driving with them, but it's an interesting point.

Do the OZ S30s, have a couple distrobution blocks mounted below the MC and on the firewall? I wonder if that is a difference between the OZ cars and the NA cars?

• 1 year later...

My car (72 240z) doesn't have that rubber strap, or the provision for it. It just has two spring hangers attached to the underside of the car. Is that normal?

Sounds like someone took the old perished split rubber stap off!

I have a couple of good unperished ones here if you are chasing.

• 1 year later...

I know this is a old thread but this is the best place for this question.

So with my track car I am now thinking I might run the car period correct and as such in the FIA documentation for the RS30 aka 260z like my car they have rear discs approved. Can you guess what they look like and the sizing? Yes early 280zx setup that is the clamshell caliper like the one Lurch fitted and the rotor specs in the FIA doc show 269x10mm aka early 280zx sizing.

I also have some of the FIA MK63 calipers that I can fit up front. So to those that have ran this early 280zx rear conversion and the Toy 4x4 front (similar size/weight/rotor specs if vented conversion) that have raced/pushed these on the track what is the performance like?

I ask as rules here in NZ means I don't have to run the period setup and I can run a Wilwood setup which I have on the car now - I am just finishing up the car over this winter - so now is the time to make the call 100% period or not. Part of me want to run it as it was aka period correct - they other part want bigger and lighter stuff for safety and performance.

So if there is not much difference in brake performance while I have an old tired engine then I am thinking stick with the period stuff.

I am looking for your feedback guys so if you have real track experience with these early 280zx rears and Toy 4x4 vented setup please let me know - not interested in park brake stuff just how they perform on the track lap after lap in a race.

Cheers

Mike

I know this is a old thread but this is the best place for this question.

So with my track car I am now thinking I might run the car period correct and as such in the FIA documentation for the RS30 aka 260z like my car they have rear discs approved. Can you guess what they look like and the sizing? Yes early 280zx setup that is the clamshell caliper like the one Lurch fitted and the rotor specs in the FIA doc show 269x10mm aka early 280zx sizing.

I also have some of the FIA MK63 calipers that I can fit up front. So to those that have ran this early 280zx rear conversion and the Toy 4x4 front (similar size/weight/rotor specs if vented conversion) that have raced/pushed these on the track what is the performance like?

I ask as rules here in NZ means I don't have to run the period setup and I can run a Wilwood setup which I have on the car now - I am just finishing up the car over this winter - so now is the time to make the call 100% period or not. Part of me want to run it as it was aka period correct - they other part want bigger and lighter stuff for safety and performance.

So if there is not much difference in brake performance while I have an old tired engine then I am thinking stick with the period stuff.

I am looking for your feedback guys so if you have real track experience with these early 280zx rears and Toy 4x4 vented setup please let me know - not interested in park brake stuff just how they perform on the track lap after lap in a race.

Cheers

Mike

http://www.arizonazcar.com/510brakes.html

http://silverminemotors.com/Rear-Disk-Conversion-kit-For-240z-260z-280z-Rear-Disk-Conversion-For-240z.htm

Yes I know but that is not what I asked

Notice the bit about FIA documentation and what was approved for the RS30 - that is the key bit of info - if not approved and fitted in period = can't run with it depending on the rules and class - I am talking classic racing here not a road car. If road and period correctness not an issue I have other options that I already own. I am looking for feedback from those with this conversion only aka early S130/280zx or C210/Skyline/240K which shares the same rotor setup who have matched this will Toyota 4x4 (same size pistons front and rotor sizing/width as the MK63 aka FIA approved Nissan option for the 240z/260z) and who have raced - not minor track days but raced on this setup/conversion on a 240z/260z.

• 5 months later...