260 Z V8

Elvis

• Administrators

Ditch the boat anchor and go back to L-series ;)

In fairness this motor swap was popular in the 80s and early 90s. Quite a few received this lump. If you really want a V8 the best option now is probably an LSX.

• Administrators

Yes I think any 2 seater in running drivable condition with minimal rust for under $25k is a very good price these days. I certainly would not sell any of mine that cheap...

• Moderators

Yes atwo seater for less than $15K is most likely a good deal.

Is it as good as you are told, plenty of bogged up ones around.

The 4.4 Leyland V8, is a matter of personal choice. Some will see it as a major negative.

Is it registered, and with what motor ?

Photos ?

Personally I would probably grab it, assuming the body checks out.

Cheers

PB

• Administrators

even if it had a 13b in it and the body is 7/10, dont waste time , grab it.

13B would be a huge improvement over most engine swaps done on these cars. :D Especially a bloody rover V8. haha.

Was registered in Victoria for last 8 years,owner has let rego expire 8 months ago,VicRoads has it registered with 4.4 l v8.Car was resprayed 7 years ago,I can't see any rust,but will be going back for proper inspection soon.Interior is in good condition,dash has cracks but its all there in original condition.Im thinking if body is ok worth grabbing even if mechanically not too good.

Don't be too harsh with the rover V8  Check out this guy over here in NZ  One of the best pedalers I have seen     https     ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAuTNa9U9Zc.  The car has done Targa Tasmania  and lots of Targa NZ  and never fails to finish  

Edited by Merlin240z

I drove an MGB fitted with a hotted-up P76 V8 back in the day, went like a rocket !

Not at all surprised. Back in the day it was said that the Rover 3.5L, or P76 4.4L or 5.0L, alloy V8 weighed no more - and depending on set-up often less - than the original antiquated cast iron 1800cc boat anchor slug of an engine in the MGB.

Back in the day people used to bolt those V8s into all sorts of cars, something just not permissible today.

Edited by gilltech

• Administrators

Don't be too harsh with the rover V8  Check out this guy over here in NZ  One of the best pedalers I have seen .  The car has done Targa Tasmania  and lots of Targa NZ  and never fails to finish   

Does sound good, I just reckon leave them in P76's :D

This does look the goods however :D

CWB3.jpg

If I didnt have my zed, my next choice was going to be a Stag with a 4.4 conversion. At its release the 4.4 was mechanically superior to the agricultural holden reds 8s of the mid 1970s. Agree with the comments ^^ Very underated.

Better yet if you can find the 5.0L version... intended for competition but I think it was only ever produced in limited numbers and used by TVR and the like.

As chris240 notes, back in the day the 4.4 was a popular conversion for Triumph Stags to replace their under-developed and notoriously unreliable troublesome engines.

Edited by gilltech

Does sound good, I just reckon leave them in P76's :D

This does look the goods however :D

CWB3.jpg

The same set up as Marks car.  That thing goes like a land borne missile and sounds even better from the outside of the car.  It was a works triumph from UK and he just kept developing it over the years. Yep I agree they don't belong in Zeds.  and L series ,S20 or  the O.S Giken is the only motor that should be in them.   Check out this 

Edited by gav240z

If the rest of the car is in good condition removing the rover v8 and replacing it with an L series will probably be one of the simplest restorations to return it to normality.

I remember a bloke by the name of Masling who fitted a rover V8 in a Stanza rally car in the early 1980's during the group G days. Thing was a rocket. On the shire roads in the Bega valley it was frighteningly fast.

Jeff

Have a look through the first few pages of some build threads. Have a look at KatoKids and my one and a few others you should be able to get the idea. Also have a look in the body section as there are a few examples of people's projects on specific sections in there. But basically all over the things. Dog leg each side floors slam panel each side and top of tail lights. Bottom of A pillar at the junction with the sill. Under the battery tray radiator support panel.... etc etc.

Jeff

If the rest of the car is in good condition removing the rover v8 and replacing it with an L series will probably be one of the simplest restorations to return it to normality.

I remember a bloke by the name of Masling who fitted a rover V8 in a Stanza rally car in the early 1980's during the group G days. Thing was a rocket. On the shire roads in the Bega valley it was frighteningly fast.

Jeff

And Masling's Stanza is still around, was bought by a bloke in Brisbane, he played with it getting it pretty much back to what it should be and it has since been sold back to the family, or close connection to the family.

There was a lot of really good stuff in it for the time, such as the brakes and a lot of aero industry stuff as well.

Awesome little car when I saw it last.

Also the Rover 3500 V8 and Leyland 4.4 litre engines are very different. The Leyland motor is very tuneable in comparison. Also, you could use things like A9X rockers for better strength and higher revs. The best developed versions of teh motor would have been the engines built to Formula 5000 spec by John McCormack back in the early to mid 70's, and used in the Charger Sports Sedan before he went to a Repco engine in that. You can take them out to over 5 litres, but the cylinder walls are near transparent when going that big. As the Leyland motor was originally used in trucks back in England the cranks were also able to take a lot of abuse compared to the Rover 3.5 litre engine.

Back in the 70's the 4.4 was a great performance motor if built right, but generally a bit more expensive than a Holden or Ford V8 to build, more so because not a lot of people built them or saw the potential to develop them further as was the case with the Hoilden/Chev/Ford motors.

The biggest problems with the Stag's unreliability was the timing of the build when Rover was part of British Leyland and all the industrial unrest at the time, that was the height of Thatcherism in the UK meant production quality was abysmal at best. 

If the car has the 4.4 litre V8, can be reregistered with it in it, then if you have the budget, rebuild the 8 and it will eat just about anything on the road of that era.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... hard to tell really but is the tailgate slam panel (in pictures 1 & 4) original? It sorta looks like an overlay. I only ask because mine is original and the panel end edges are flushed with seam sealant (which is what leaks when water ponds on the panel and allows rust to form in the underlying metal layers). If it's original there will be a row of exposed spot welds right next to and running parallel to the hatch opening seal.

But the spare wheel tub (picture 2) looks good. What is picture 3 of - a lower door?

Edited by gilltech