External Mirror Id

George

As I've suspected, it appears to be a LH mirror.

As you look at the mirror, the stalk leans to the right from the base. RH ones should lean to the left.

Hard to tell from the photo you posted Gav but yours looks to be a LH one as well...?

Peter provided this photo he took just now. Plated stalk is a LH unit he purchased from the States. Unplated is the original RH one from his car.

X0fUzNN.jpg

I just wrote a long reply and hit the back button on this silly mouse I use. Here we go again, a bit more succinctly.

I just don't see your mirror would work on a LHD door?

Here, for example is a LHD mirror.

You might be confused by the mirror part being angled for the RH side. I did that thinking it was a RH mirror. It can swivel all the way around to it's correct LH side position.

The main difference I've realised is the stalk angle to it's base. Looking at the mirror face, the RH one leans to the left (towards the car) and the LH one leans to the right (again, towards the car).

The mirror head swivel is a clever design if only the stalk was 90 degrees to the base. Sadly they deemed it important to design it at a different angle and cursed us all to waste our time searching for unicorn poo.

I personally don't see too much of an issue with the LH mirror on the RH side other than that OCD thing bugging me.

Here are a couple of helpful photos with what looks like correct mirrors on correct sides. Note the stalk to base lean angles (bend your head to the base horizontal and it becomes obvious).

WulKw6h.jpg

9uZSZG1.jpg

Does yours have a part # George?

Alex, that is what got me thinking it's the wrong one.

The part number on the box says 96301-E4600 which a quick Google search will take you to a variety of US LH side mirrors.

After some digging around I found the Australian RH door part number is actually 96302-E8800 but good luck finding that. Part 96301-E4100 is the Europe equivalent.

See here:

sOsl1oX.jpg

For reference sake here is a US manual with the part number 96301-E4600 - http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/body-240z/door-moulding-finish-arm-rest

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking to see if my 260z has factory mirrors or aftermarket parts and unfortunately is not original so great thread to find.

My ta22 celica has similar design mirrors that are designed with a slight (although more noticeable than the zed ) angle to be non interchangeable each side.

So now that i know i need a pair of new mirrors for my 260z is there anywhere in particular to find either side or are these becoming rocking horse poo items ?

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old post but bear with me.

When I bought my car 3 years ago it had a right hand mirror attached but the mirror head broke and was dented and somehow was lost, but the stalk is still attaced to the car. Question is, are the left hand heads in the states the same shape, if they are I might be able to flip the head 180 and attach it to my stalk. Does anyone know if this can be done?

Looking at the pics above, it looks like the stalk is fixed to the head slightly above the horizontal centreline of the head. I figure this means that when you flip one around to use on the other side of the car, it will now fix to the stalk slightly below the horizontal centreline of the head.

Have you found left hand mirror heads and, do you know if they are easily separated from the stalk?

Looking at the pics above, it looks like the stalk is fixed to the head slightly above the horizontal centreline of the head. I figure this means that when you flip one around to use on the other side of the car, it will now fix to the stalk slightly below the horizontal centreline of the head.

Have you found left hand mirror heads and, do you know if they are easily separated from the stalk?

These photos are the heads of my original 1973 car right side mirror and a left side mirror that I bought from the US. The right side mirror is on the right hand side of both photos.

The head is held in with a screw ....you need to remove the glass to access it. I managed to ease the glass out of one and broke the other one ( seven years of bad luck ) and had a couple of replacements cut by the local lead light glass man.......less than ten dollars .... and he also beveled the edges for refitting.

Hope this helps

Pete 

post-101020-0-29385800-1520119079_thumb.jpg

post-101020-0-34737400-1520119098_thumb.jpg

Edited by PeterH

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

@gav240z:I wish I could read japanese  :( Is this mirror for sale or is it sold?

@cozza: sent you a pm

Sorry mate, I bought that 1 for $10... but they are very rare and I was pleasantly surprised to get it that cheap.

• Administrators

Hit Gav up for his $10 one.

Mines worth a lot more to me than that.

I was joking, mine is not for sale. Just showing off sadly..