Fg Xr6 Turbo 260Z 1977 2+2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Looks like I'm reviving an older post, but....

I've run across a sump issue similar to Girks post. With the FG sump, the ridge for the pickup tube really makes contact for the steering rack.

If I can reroute this it would let me drop the motor even more

I would love to know what they did to this sump!!

post-103534-0-52167000-1506304242.jpg

Do you need to lower the motor for bonnet clearance or something else?

I used a 13 mm alloy spacer between the chassis rail and front crossmember to get the clearance and drive-line alignment I needed.

15 hours ago, kestor said:

Looks like I'm reviving an older post, but....

I've run across a sump issue similar to Girks post. With the FG sump, the ridge for the pickup tube really makes contact for the steering rack.

If I can reroute this it would let me drop the motor even more

I would love to know what they did to this sump!!

post-103534-0-52167000-1506304242.jpg

Hey mate 

yeah you will need to space your corssmeber down, we didn’t modify the sump or pickup, we could have but chose not too, instead we lowered the crossmeber and positioned the engine in the lowest/best place possible with the front of the factory dip in the fg sump is

wpuld lobe to see photos of your z with a Barra in it too!! 

13 hours ago, kestor said:

Thanks for the input guys!

Maybe I've missed something. I thought it was a fg motor...

This is what my sump looks like (fg) with the pickup tube ridge. 

Is the other motor not an fg, or was the pickup tube rerouted?

fg1.jpg

Hey mate,

my engine is also a fg engine and my sump is also the same, 

we didn’t modify the pickup, we left it in the factory position and instead spaced the cross memeber down and posistined the engine in the right spot around the hump in the front,

the other ford engine that went into the red 240z I believe was from either a ba or bf which have the pickup up the back, you could see if you could get one of those sumps on the fg engine and position the oil pickup in a different spot/place but I’m not sure if you can do that,

we even took me sump off the held the engine on the crane a few mm above the crossmeber chocked the engine up so it wasn’t sitting on the Windage tray, re fitted the bonnet and still wouldn’t close without having to modify the bonnet so instead we spaced the cross memeber  down and used mounts from the side of the rails with crush tubes welded in and it sits in ge bay pretty well, 

i will have to modify/widen  the hump on the bonnet by about 20-25 mm either side to fit the front of the Ford engine in there 

cheers