Fg Xr6 Turbo 260Z 1977 2+2

Gday Guys

my dream of owning a 260z started when I was young

I remember seeing photos of them and thinking I would love to own one someday

about 18 months ago my brother bought a Datsun 1200 ute and I decided i couldn't be left out and It was time to buy a Datsun myself

after cruising around on the internet for a few months I found a 2+2 and took the leap and bought it, thankfully i got it for the right price and

thankfully it was pretty strait and fairly rust free although someone had done a not so fantastic job of spraying it,

after getting her regod I made the choice to remove the L26 and auto and put in a rb25det and do a manual conversion

after completing the conversion a few months later I decided to pull the engine back out to restore the engine bay which after 40 years of neglect had seen better days, i know, i should have done this before putting the rb in there but i was excited ahaa

thankfully there was no rust that went any deeper than surface on the chassis rails and firewall and after hours and hours of sanding and priming the engine bay looked much much better

whilst the engine was out i had been borrowing my brothers non turbo xr6 fg 6 speed manual ute i was impressed with how the engine went and after a couple of jokes about barras he convinced me ( im easily convinced)  to do a fg xr6t engine conversion, so that's what i am doing

after consulting a local engineer he has given me the go ahead for the conversion with the specific set of  guidelines, i have to seam weld the engine bay, inside the car, chassis bracing and upgrade the brakes and a few other bits a pieces

i found a cheap non turbo barra engine ($100) locally to mock up making the engine mounts and to figure out the right postion of the engine etc

while i hunt around for decent price complete conversion package

for the ecu i will  be using a Haltech elite 2500T aswell as full haltech wiring harness/loom, originally i wanted to  use a 6 speed manual but have decided that i will most likely use a 6 speed auto ( still kinda deciding)

as far as diff/suspension i have r200 LSD and z 31 upgrades shafts, will be using maddat coilovers all round with r33 gtr front calipers and r31 rears ( thanks to mark from street weapon restorations)

if all goes to plan in the next 4-5 weeks engine will be in and  running, the next stage is to  do all the rest to get it driving so i will deffinnatly post pics and videos when it has been finished

in the meantime i will upload the current photos i have of the car

cheers guys

The modifcation rules must be different in Newcastle; largest engine displacement with forced induction you can do in a 260Z 2+2 in Victoria is ~3600cc's. Good luck with the conversion, will definitely be a quick car!

the "rules" are not actual rules they are guidelines as to what you can do, so if you are wanting to go above 3600cc forced induction

Then you have to show "due cause" by adding extra strengthung, bracing and safety aspects to the car,

It will be quick for sure, of course the engine will need to be set back as far as possible (and a bit more) to help front/rear balance.

I will have to no doubt

I am hoping its very quick haah

In terms of driving with that engine package, I have a FG Turbo ute with auto and would have to say the auto is easier, better and smarter than the manual, if, and a big if you can get the electronics to work properly so it talks to the Haltech.

For simplicity the manual would be easier for the conversion.

In any case, that much torque will be interesting, to say the least, in a near 40 year old body that was pretty limp and noodly from the factory......

In summary a pretty stupid conversion, but one that is soooo right for so many reasons  :)  :)  :)  :)

In terms of driving with that engine package, I have a FG Turbo ute with auto and would have to say the auto is easier, better and smarter than the manual, if, and a big if you can get the electronics to work properly so it talks to the Haltech.

For simplicity the manual would be easier for the conversion.

In any case, that much torque will be interesting, to say the least, in a near 40 year old body that was pretty limp and noodly from the factory......

In summary a pretty stupid conversion, but one that is soooo right for so many reasons :) :) :) :)

Yeah should be pretty good when it's done

Keeping the engine pretty stock, for now hha

You and Richard are going to have to start your own auto club. Seriously who wants a freaking auto sports car???

You can shift it Manual with the triptronic style so best of both worlds I think but everyone's differnt

Pffft, some of us get over changing gears, actually that auto Falcon auto box is a beauty for circuit racing. Get the entire power train; engine, auto, computers, loom - plug and play.

I definitely will be getting all the power train

Yeah the gearxoes are pretty sweet in them

As a matter of interest, do you know what the engine and auto weigh? Came across a bloke a while ago who used to sprint the family auto, had a few mods like brakes and had done a fair few kays. His lap times were damn good by any standard.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have got the engine And gearbox on the way!

Came out of a Turbo FG-X sedan that had been t boned

Engine had 30 000 kms on it with the 6 speed auto

Very very keen to get it and start working on mounting the beast!

Ive seen pictures of some one starting a Barra conversion on a 2 seater Zed. never knew if it was finished but?? bit of sump modification is needed from what ive seen for it but. im currently looking at either a dry sump set up or using a territory sump as the have a rearward facing steel bowl sump thats eaiser to chop and change than the falcons alloy one. I too have a barra swap project on hand my self, into a slicktop 300zx.

ive got some minor firewall/trans tunnel modification to do. you might run into a few issues with wiring for the ZF and youll need speed sensors by memory from the box and a can be a pain to wire up through a stand alone ECU. but romours have it haltec have a new ecu desined for falcons plucking into the factory harness replacing the stock one. ive decided when time/money comes back to the project to run either a power glide or a T400 gearbox(given its mainly going to be a roll racing/power skid car.

as for all the gauges and displays what are your plans?? mine seems to be solved pretty easy by using a racepak dash has all the functions needed for my applications.

all little strange questions ive had about using the barra looms and wiring i was lucky enough to get advice from Forced performance in toowoomba QLD who know and have built some impressive barra motors and know their stuff.

sorry for the long post and ramblings but keen to see this in action as ive got a bit of love for the barra motor haha

Cheers

Matty

Ive seen pictures of some one starting a Barra conversion on a 2 seater Zed. never knew if it was finished but?? bit of sump modification is needed from what ive seen for it but. im currently looking at either a dry sump set up or using a territory sump as the have a rearward facing steel bowl sump thats eaiser to chop and change than the falcons alloy one. I too have a barra swap project on hand my self, into a slicktop 300zx.

ive got some minor firewall/trans tunnel modification to do. you might run into a few issues with wiring for the ZF and youll need speed sensors by memory from the box and a can be a pain to wire up through a stand alone ECU. but romours have it haltec have a new ecu desined for falcons plucking into the factory harness replacing the stock one. ive decided when time/money comes back to the project to run either a power glide or a T400 gearbox(given its mainly going to be a roll racing/power skid car.

as for all the gauges and displays what are your plans?? mine seems to be solved pretty easy by using a racepak dash has all the functions needed for my applications.

all little strange questions ive had about using the barra looms and wiring i was lucky enough to get advice from Forced performance in toowoomba QLD who know and have built some impressive barra motors and know their stuff.

sorry for the long post and ramblings but keen to see this in action as ive got a bit of love for the barra motor haha

Cheers

Matty

G'day Matty

The majority of FG sumps are rear hump from factory but I may have to still modify yet

The wiring side of things will be a challenge but it's all very doable

Yeah I did here haltech is making the ecus which is very good

Yeah I am thinking a race pak dash but I love the zed dash to much somill get a electronic speedo gauge instead

Will have to calibrate the sensors where I can to use some of the factory gauges but I mostly have aftermarket ones anyway

Only stock gauges I have are the volt and fuel gauge

Starting the figment this weekend coming so I will

No doubt post photos up this weekend

I'll have to jump on the computer for this

Just finished seam welding all the engine bay as per the engineer requests so will begin fitting/trial fitting

Then pull the engine out after final fitment paint the bay then final install

Good luck with your Barra 300zx will be awesome!

No weight number on the Barra yet? I recall that these engines were designed using weight reducing features like hollow camshafts, there was some talk that they weighed around what a twin cam RB did. So a bit bulky but not as heavy as they look?