drifta1600

Express Door Skin Replace Ment.

So i read about doing my door skins, and every one seems to do it differently, but every one seems to spend half there life doing it. I had already restored my doors, but wasnt happy with the rust repair i did on them, so i decided to reskin. Total job took me 2.5 hours (not painted yet) i did most of it with the door still on the car.didnt remove glass or frame, Just cut around the old skin, pulled it off.. put the new one on, drilled a couple of small holes in the front on the edge, lined it all up, tacked were i drilled the holes, pulled the door off, used a hammer and dolly to bend the lip all arounds. Tacked it in a few more spots on the back and top front corner, seam sealer on the joins,put the door back on, closed it, a few hits with a bit of wood to get it all flush, and it was ready to prime!

post-101443-0-16974300-1497266249_thumb.jpg

post-101443-0-61119700-1497266354_thumb.png

Wow.  Come have a holiday in QLD and spend 5 hours at my place!!!!  Well done!  I am dreading this job.

You still have to grind down the top lip and tack the inside frame back on. Slot out the door handle and lock holes before you prime it.

It took me a long time because my frame had rust. I had to repair and paint the inside. I chose to make door gaps tighter and strip off the black paint before priming.

Also according to the guys from rare spares in adelaide the new door skins had the stamping re-tooled to fit better with a thinner guage steel hence why your install went so well compared to others.

Doing it on the car makes a lot of sense as far as fitment goes, 2.5 hours must be some sort of record too.

Was the only way i could think off that would alow me to get all the lines right. As is mentioned, still have to prime and paint and re assemble...