WTB: Manual 5 Speed Gearbox with all associating parts.

fufu

Hi guys, since my panel beater is going crazy with the car, i thought I'd start collecting my auto-manual conversion parts now. That way when its done hopefully within the next few weeks i can get the conversion done asap.

So I'm after a 5 Speed L-series Manual Gearbox with all associating parts like. eg. gearshift, internal components like Release bearing, T/O bearing holder, T/O springs, clutch fork, clutch fork boot, clutch fork pivot ball, spigot, clutch hose. Don't really need to worry about the clutch slave condition as it will be replaced.

Parts i already have are the manual pedal box, clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch and flywheel.

So preferably I'd like a working 5speed L-series gearbox, from a 260z*fingers crossed*, that has basically just been dismantled off a car with all parts still hanging on it. I know its a long shot. But I'd prefer to look for this first then to start a whole collecting bazaar.

I also may require a 5-speed propeller shaft, according to the Haynes book they were different for the automatic and the 5 speed gearboxes.

I'm located in Melbourne. Prefer to pickup and to inspect upon purchase. So if you know off any wrecked manual 260z. Please feel free to private message me or post here. Your help is much appreciated.

• Moderators

I might be able to get you a box in excellent condition! But the only thing is its in a car! Its in a C210 Skyline that belongs to Stan Holmes which in my opinion is the master of Datsun mechanicals! I don't think he can separate them but if you could remove it then get the car hauled away or sell on ebay etc.

my second gear syncro has gone, is there someone that i can take this to as i have heard you need special tools to play with the gearbox. See the is a motor that we were talking about on ebay right now dimitri. Only 40,000 k's on it :)

/Thread Hijack

SWmotorsport has new steal Synchro Rings for $150ea (I know it sounds expensive but at least you can them).

http://www.swmotorsport.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d151.html

Rebuilding a 71B box is not difficult - but it helps if you have someone experienced in rebuilding them doing it with you. You don't need any special tools either.

If you can get in touch with Mr Holmes he's the man to see, but if you can't I might be able to help with an alternative person...

Very interesting responses which may lead me to open up more doors for this gearbox purchase.

I'm more then happy to purchase pieces separately and I've pretty much found suppliers for them. It's just the T/O bearing sleeve that shits me. Everywhere i go the answer is no. Everything else i can pretty much get.

Heaven forbid i have to go to a Zed wrecker to get it. I might need to sell half a liver again... i only just re-grew this liver.  :D

Not in too much of a rush. Well not for the next week and a bit i guess.

Thanks for the response so far guys. Even with the plugs.

try any l series manual throwout sleeve ie l4s 200b 180b stanze etc etc.

i also realised the rb and the sr forks, sleeves and slaves are the same or interchangeable, and swapping with the L would not suprise me either as these boxes can be used behind the L with a front case swap.

nato

WOW,

Thanks Nato.

That certainly will open up my options now. Currently looking at the 280zx bearing sleeve on eBay.

For some reason that didn't click before... i should have known L-series box and 280zx box were the same.

Cheers,

Fu

Nato

Do the 4 cylinder L motor (like the Bluebird) drop straight in? I had a Bluebird and the box was good, I remember it to be better shift than what I have now.

Any one know if the CA19 box can be fitted stright to the L26? There was one on eBay that was passed in.

5 Speed Gearbox's from:

280ZX

240/260Z

240K Skyline

C210 Skyline

R31 Skyline (Bellhouseing needs changing)

S13/S14 Slivia/180SX (Bellhouseing needs changing)

S1/2 Bluebird (S3/CA20 box's need the bellhousing changed)

200B

240/260/280C sedans

These all fit, BUT they have different mounts & different internal ratio's & gear sizes.

There may be a bit of mucking about getting them to fit.

The only ones that WON'T be suitable are:

R30 Skyline

Stanza SSS

Any of the Datsun 4-speed boxes.

These are 'short' boxes & are not long enough.

HTH ;)

WOW thanks heaps Lurch.

I'm guessing since my car was made in September 1971... theres gonna be a 50:50 chance of me requiring a new drive shaft to complete this conversion, if i get a 260z or 280zx 5 speed gearbox.

• 1 month later...

Fufu,

I have a 5 speed sitting in my 260 that I plan to get rid of. I have not ever driven it so I cannot say what the syncros etc are like and would be selling it pretty cheap.

I have the throw fork and bearing carrier somewhere, but it has a bodgie shortened shifter - ie think angle grider.

Anyway, I know you are in Melbourne & I am in sydney - but let me know if you are interested.

Mick

Fufu,

I have a 5 speed sitting in my 260 that I plan to get rid of. I have not ever driven it so I cannot say what the syncros etc are like and would be selling it pretty cheap.

I have the throw fork and bearing carrier somewhere, but it has a bodgie shortened shifter - ie think angle grider.

Anyway, I know you are in Melbourne & I am in sydney - but let me know if you are interested.

Mick

Hi pigpen, sorry i just recently picked up a box from Ash in really good condition and he threw in practically all the parts for me for the one, super low, price. I should have replied to this post earlier. But i've found what I'm looking for.

Only part that i need right now... is the pipe from the master clutch to the slave clutch, but I'll probably get one mocked up at the local brake store.