Importing Panels From North America (Mostly 240Z)

• Administrators

Hi Folks,

So I've started to dabble with panel importing from the US, I'm trying to import 2 seater roof's. doors (240z), radiator support sections, bonnets, early rear hatches, 1/4 panels, topy wheels etc..

I had a bit of a set back with vet bills a month or 2 ago which put a dent in these plans, but I'm trying to do this again.

Right now I still don't have a clear indication on price mostly because I don't know all the taxes I'll have to pay and what will happen when they arrive (pick up location etc..) how much time I'll need to invest.

So I'm just importing a few items at the moment as a sort of trial.

If you're after certain panels please just let me know what you're after. I'm not going to hold anyone's feet the fire but just trying to see what kind of interest there is.

I'll be heading to the US around the 11th - 23rd of June and may have a chance to organise a bunch of stuff to be imported etc..

If this goes well and there is enough demand I may look at importing whole cars to part out also. But that's a little more complex as you have to get approval to import cars before you put them in a container.

Hey Gav,

If this comes off I need to get organise some panels as the supply in OZ as you know is getting short.

I need the following 240 parts, my car is a Feb/March 73 build

Left and right guards

Radiator support panel

Bonnet

An American front spoiler (Cause I like the solid look)

Centre console for a series 2

That will do for a start.

Cheers

• Administrators

Hey Gav,

If this comes off I need to get organise some panels as the supply in OZ as you know is getting short.

I need the following 240 parts, my car is a Feb/March 73 build

Ok good to know.

RE: Front guards, I hope you can find some locally because I think they will be too expensive once imported. That's why I'm focusing on the hard stuff like roof's, 1/4 panels and doors. However if I can find good guards I'l consider bringing a pair in (if price is right).

Having said that, the point of starting this thread was to assess demand, so if there is high demand for stuff I'll certainly look to import it, even if it wasn't on my initial list.

For the front spoiler and console I'd say you'd be better off sending via Air, since they are not heavy, just relatively large in shape. The stuff I'm importing will be heavy and large items that would be far too expensive to do via Air. There is a lag time of 3 months because it's being sent via sea.

• Administrators

Previous thread was more about Topy's than anything else. But yes was put on hold due to other expenses.

In terms of valve cover I assume you want a Nissan 2400 OHC cover to go with the E31 casting?

Condition of head it likely to be poor, as in you'll need to invest in fixing it. (refer to Lurch's engine build thread). E31's have had a hard life to this point.

Should be able to find the metal fan or at least I know of someone with 1 (adds a whole -15hp :P).

Keep the requests coming folks.

In case it hasn't been considered, importing large but relatively light items like spoilers by air is expensive but I have no idea of any demand that can't be satisfied locally. On the subject of importing whole cars for parts, can this be done in such a way that car import approval can be avoided? 

• Administrators

Re: spoilers and the like I will consider items like this but my experience with trying to organise group buys tells me 3-4 will be definite and the rest maybe.

This is still a trial run. If demand exceeds supply I'll keep doing it ????.

I think the only way to get around the vehicle import process would be to cut cars in half. But I don't have someone who can do it on that end.

I feel guilty chopping them up too. ????

Right now I'm focused on stuff I am finding difficult to locate here. For example I do have a spare roof turret but it's in need of repair work and someone has had a go at repair work already.

So I decided to import a whole other roof cut. Finding a 2 seater roof now is very hard. Same with a decent bonnet.

Judging by the 240z's for sale and rust repair work they are gonna need. I suspect demand is there. ????

I'd be looking at a pair of doors and a roof for a 240 at a minimum. My door frames are badly rusted and someone had repaired them with fibreglass and of course someone decided to put a sunroof in my car the sickod

Consideri

Judging by the 240z's for sale and rust repair work they are gonna need. I suspect demand is there.

Could not agree more, particularly given the price good cars are bringing which means that more rust buckets will be viable to repair which in turn will push demand and prices up and supply down. And who is going to part out a half decent car? It's a niche business and just difficult enough to make it not worth doing for your average quick dollar dealer. 

Previous thread was more about Topy's than anything else. But yes was put on hold due to other expenses.

In terms of valve cover I assume you want a Nissan 2400 OHC cover to go with the E31 casting?

Condition of head it likely to be poor, as in you'll need to invest in fixing it. (refer to Lurch's engine build thread). E31's have had a hard life to this point.

Should be able to find the metal fan or at least I know of someone with 1 (adds a whole -15hp :P).

Keep the requests coming folks.

The valve cover I am after is from mid/late 71 so is "Nissan OHC" but has the o-ring oil cap seal.

Appreciate head may be poor - but beggars can't be choosers!

Lol re metal fan, but going for stock so hp is irrelevant.

Those bonnets look very interesting! I'm sure one will be suitable :)

ps. also looking for an early alternator.

I'll stay tuned to the thread.

edit: actually would be keen on a 2400 ohc valve cover for an early girl I'm trying to buy :P

Edited by cracker

• Administrators

I was the under the impression that the valve covers from late 70 onward were pretty much the same. Nissan OHC covers. I am not aware of any other differences. Have you got a photo of the specific difference you're talking about?

Got a photo of the early alternator? I may have 1 in the garage that came off HS30 00150 but haven't paid too much attention to differences. Although I'm sure I recall some discussion about this on classiczcars.com I actually think an item like this would be better sent via Air Post than shipping container though. It's small (yes heavy) but small items like this would be difficult to keep track of.

The valve covers Nissan 2400 OHC are not cheap I'm afraid. They have doubled in price in the past year...

I'll have to dig up some pics of both valve cover and alternator when I'm in front of my desktop. The in between covers are effectively the same as you imagine but with the o-ring seal like the 2400 version.

Have been seeing some of the US auctions on valve covers - scary!

Edit - alternator pic added - can't find valve cover pic that's appropriate though!

post-101055-0-90581300-1496582325_thumb.jpg

Edited by cracker

• Administrators

Id be interested in rear quarters, and the drivers side panel shown below (forget the name) and spoilers if that eventuated. 

Inner sill/rockers, and that looks bad... :D no wonder you need another.

I was sure someone was re-making these... edit found this.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/55999-replacement-inner-rocker-panels/

Inner sill/rockers, and that looks bad... :D no wonder you need another.

I was sure someone was re-making these... edit found this.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/55999-replacement-inner-rocker-panels/

Edit: Seems like he isn't taking orders at the moment.

https://www.prospect-d.com/product-page/datsun-240z-260z-inner-rocker-panels

I had a chat with Brent a while ago (great guy) - he wants $200 USD each plus, I believe it was $100 USD each, for shipping. So $600USD to your door.

The inner sills also seem not to be a 100% match by the looks of them as well - I may be wrong though.

e4726f_25b194143fa04b168d8a05fdde942c87~

2nd Edit:

I might be interested in a pair of outer sills from zcardepot - they can't ship using GSP/USPS as the sills are too long. 

Edited by Rickers

• Administrators

I believe the outer sills are Tabco items, I know folks have had issues with getting Tabco to play ball re: international shipping. So it may be an option to send via sea freight in bulk pending interest.

Having said that I think sills are pretty straight forward to fabricate so it may work out cheaper to have a set made locally.

Hence why I'm sort of focusing on stuff that is less straight forward to fabricate.

• Administrators

Just an FYI re: hoods/bonnets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1978-Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-S30-Front-Hood-w-Louver-Holes-/252847767853

I asked this seller if they are able to get a non-fluted version. They are going to get back to me in a couple of months. I also asked re: fitment since these are reproduction items (not original). I haven't had anyone manage to confirm fitment of these yet.

I was contemplating buying 1 and just patching the holes in them, but I know the older Taiwan made bonnets had fitment issues. Not sure how good these are yet.

Attached is feedback on hood/bonnet from 1 customer. Hard to really determine if it was customer car that was an issue or product itself.

擷取.JPG

You're right about the old Taiwan made bonnets having fitment problems.
You always had to elongate the mounting holes a fair bit to get it to line up properly.

I'm interested in a bonnet and radiator support panel complete with the backing sheet metal for the headlight buckets :) 

• Administrators

Just an FYI, got quite a few PMs about this. I haven't had a chance to respond to each individually. I will be flying to San Francisco on Sunday and will be spend (Sunday 1 day behind in US) looking at some stuff to import back.

I will be keeping everyone's requests in mind as I look through stuff and focus on the harder to find rare stuff.

At this stage I'm not doing a full container load, I'll be looking to add my stuff with a bunch of other stuff. However if demand is there in future I'll definitely look at a container load or more or even full cars to part out.

I'm trying to keep the investment in this on the lower side for now, to see what it costs all up and then look at feasibility of doing more in future.

I will try and reply to all your PMs shortly. Just been busy with work (since it is a work trip after all).

Cheers,