L26 Cracked Head - Advice Wanted

krizza

G'day fellas,

Looking over the bus today I noticed that I was low on coolant. After some investigation I have found two hairline cracks in the cylinder head below the number 2 and 5 exhaust ports. Definitely cracks about 5mm or so above the base of the head, not the head gasket. This is the original matching numbers L26 that came with the car.

I am looking for some advice from those in the know whether the head is likely to be salvageable with welding or if I am up for a new head, and if so am I better off trying to find an L28 to replace the whole lot? Also if I go with the head off option, besides replacing the water pump is there anything else I should be looking at while it is apart? I know that without seeing / testing the head it is hard to judge, but thought those that deal with these engines regularly might be able to tell me if I am wasting my time before I get stuck into the existing engine.

Cheers,

Kris

Anything is repairable. Without looking at the damage, it's a bit hard for us on the net to give an accurate answer.
Is there someone GOOD in Perth that can weld Alum. cylinder heads? Depending on how severe the cracks are, they head my have to be re-heat treated to bring the hardness back up.

I'd suggest you replace the WP, inspect the timing case for corrosion, replace the top & bottom thermostat housings as well as the thermostat when the head is refitted.

Great thanks Lurch, that was exactly the information I was after. I have used a company called Head Torque for cylinder heads previously who do great work (I think I saw Whittie's L28 head was welded by them recently as well), so that is probably the way I will go. Guess I will pull the head off and get it inspected before I start collecting any other parts.

Seeing as the car doesn't see any use during the wet months at least time is on my side.