Any Disadvantage Using An L24 From A 240K?

Chuckles

I've been chasing a decent L24 to replace my JDM L20A. One has come up but it is an L24 form a 240K. Is there any disadvantage to not having one that came from a 240Z? I've read that the position of the bowl sump is different (K's have front bowl sumps, Z's rear). The set up I'm looking at also has an N42 head, which I don't think came stock with any 240K's.

Cheers.

I've been chasing a decent L24 to replace my JDM L20A. One has come up but it is an L24 form a 240K. Is there any disadvantage to not having one that came from a 240Z? I've read that the position of the bowl sump is different (K's have front bowl sumps, Z's rear). The set up I'm looking at also has an N42 head, which I don't think came stock with any 240K's.

Cheers.

Hey mate, Can't help you with this question but I was actually wondering if you had a rear oil sump pickup from your L20?

Cheers!

Andrew

Do you mean a spare one? The only oil sump pickup I have is in the engine that is currently running in my car (Which is definitely not front, most likely rear, however it looks just a little forward of the rear).

Edited by Chuckles

A 240K L24 won't bolt in without oil-pickup mods.
You'll have to remove the sump, the oil pump & timing case, then the rear oil pickup boss needs to be drilled & tapped.
Then you have to back flush the oil gallery so that no swarf/grit can get into the oil pump & ruin the engine. Then reassemble with your Z sump & pickup.
Then cross your fingers you've gotten all the swarf & grit out...

IMHO, You're better off finding a L24 out of a Z.

Do you mean a spare one? The only oil sump pickup I have is in the engine that is currently running in my car (Which is definitely not front, most likely rear, however it looks just a little forward of the rear).

Yeah, I'm just after a pickup for the rear sump oil pans. 

Here is the "front sump" oil pan

post-103470-0-94537100-1495951237_thumb.jpg

And here is the one that I want a pickup for (from an L20ET)

post-103470-0-78776000-1495951244_thumb.jpg

Let me know if you decide to tear down the motor and don't need your rear sump pickup anymore haha

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_L26

I looked at that K engine option myself years ago, and as others have said the K oil pick-up, sump & dipstick location is different .

Also, the K motors I saw looked to have smaller ports, manifolds etc, one had a large single carb not pair; so I presume were lower-HP engines, no doubt there were different versions for Ks and K-GTs and markets or whatever.

Some work to alter for your Zed, and which N42 head is it . I could be mistaken but am pretty sure a spare head I have here - an N42 - came off a K engine.

Probably not worth the trouble better to find the right one.

Any chance someone has swapped in another motor into that K?

Going by the sticky you are right, engine was removed from a K but must have already been a transplant. Odd.

So not much point in putting a K engine in if it's all small port and low compression.

Edited by gilltech