Wtb Datsun 240Z

Rob008

Hi guys,

Looking to buy a 240z in working / driving condition.

I'm in Sydney Nsw.

Does not need to have matching numbers

If anyone is willing to sell theirs or know of someone looking to sell, please contact me.

Regards

Rob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators
  • Administrators

Not quite, I tend to avoid the Series 1 and Series 2 nomenclature as I think it's totally wrong. There were several iterations and changes over the years and between 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972 and 1973. The thing is most North American's can't tell me where series 1 starts and where series 2 comes in... they all have slightly different opinions.

But 1971 models continued up until high 1000 range chassis wise. But later 1971's didn't get the early style console. Even if they did receive the 71A gearbox.

My own car HS30 10552 is a good example of a car built in Dec 1971 with a 71A but a later console.

It's the early style console ones I'm after. That's the one with the dual levers. So many nice ones have popped up but not the dual lever ones.

From what i can see, the dual lever ones without the rear vents in the hatch are from chassis number 500 - 1500.

Unsure of month but think it may be between 2/71 to 11/71.

Had no idea about the different gearbox numbers. Good to know. 71A's pros and cons?

It did cross my mind, just not sure on how much the resto would cost.... have plus or minus 30k to play with.

Just thinking to buy something in better nick and do minor work rather than 12months in the shop

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Think it's worth it? Have been thinking about this....

I'm surprised it's still up for sale to be honest. It makes me wonder how bad the rust is? But if you don't care about matching no's it has a lot going for it.

From what I can see (and photos can be deceptive).

1. Good roof (no sunroof) - Roof turret a real pita. Gotta remove windscreen, rear hatch, rear weld to 1/4 panels, lead fill in. Not hard if you have a replacement but pretty major re-working)

2. Good doors

3. Good rear 1/4 panels

4. Bonnet doesn't look like it's been bent before (at least not hard) may have some filler in there but the lines look right.

5. Mostly complete interior.

6. Hatch looks like it has surface rust but not serious rot.

7. It has at least 2 original S30Z steel wheels (not sure if they are original to the car or not though!)

8. It's a 71 so likely an early car (could be a sub-1000 chassis no. car)

On the negative:

1. Battery tray could be rusty (have to see how bad)

2. The old iron lump - but it might be a bit of fun if it runs until you can swap back to L-series.

3. Interior looks a little trashed.

4. It's probably had at least 1 repaint, could have bog in places etc..

5. At least 1 seat isn't original and they are getting harder to source locally.

6. Some accident damage to the fender but of all panels these are the cheapest and easiest to find as replacements.

7. As a 71 it should have round holes in the rear 1/4 panels where the 'Z' badge goes, looks like they were filled in for a smooth look

8. No matching no's, but any L-series will feel like the same car regardless of no. stamped on block

9. Small love tap in the rear (where bumper is) - may have caused some damage to rear valance section...(could be an issue since there is an adhesive between the rear valance area and the chassis and if this panels is bent there is a gap here where moisture can get in and rot it from the inside out, HS30 00150 has had this issue to some extent).

If you want a 240z project I'd say it's reasonable, if you want a 2 seater the other 1 on CarSales recently for $25k is better buying probably.. but it's not an early car ;).

That's all I can tell you from photos alone. Best to go see it and find out how bad it is.