L Series 5 Speed

I have for sale one 280Z or early ZX north american 5 speed.. Don't know what that means but Jamo ( Grant ) went to a lot of effort to get this box for his turbo engine set as the ratios are better?
Jamo put new bearings and seals through the gearbox when he got it and drove about 10k with it in the car.
I purchased the gearbox in a package with the engine.
I'm taking the engine a little further then Grant so there is no point bolting this really good condition b box behind it and shattering it.

If you want to see a picture that's fine but its a oil free clean and dry gearbox. I have wire wheeled the whole gearbox so its a little bit shiny and very clean and the inside of the bell housing is painted red.. Cause red is faster.

From looking around I think these are the ratios..

* 1st: 3.062
* 2nd: 1.858
* 3rd: 1.308
* 4th: 1
* 5th early 0.773

Chasing $800.00

Cheers Doug
oh for thee too too for too nein five sux

Edited by 44014

Easy enough to pull the bell and ext off, and do an accurate tooth count, to confirm!

Some variants of the 280ZX did come with those ratios,

but other variants, had the truck/ute ratio gearboxes fitted, ie first gear is 3.52

They also had various diff ratios fitted to better utilise such variances in gear ratio sets.

This box above, if its 3.06 first gear, is almost as good as the desired 260Z 2.9 ratio box, save for the laggy fifth gear, but thats very easily swapped for a more spirited .832 regular fifth gear!

Can you not count the revolutions of input and output shafts in the various gears instead of having to dismantle it?

Put a cardboard disc on both shafts with a mark,

Put it in the gear you want to check,
Turn the input shaft 10 full revolutions and count the output revolutions? 

Edited by Groundhog

So Jason, what would the ratios in my early-74 260Z 2-seater gearbox most likely be?

Car was NZ-new so general world RHD issue it's been said, not Aus or US-new, might make a difference.

Am interested in having a spare gearbox, one either matching or very close.

Edited by gilltech

So Jason, what would the ratios in my early-74 260Z 2-seater gearbox most likely be?

Car was NZ-new so general world RHD issue it's been said, not Aus or US-new, might make a difference.

Am interested in having a spare gearbox, one either matching or very close.

Let me get out the crystal ball!!!

No idea, until you count tit. Who knows what may or may not have been swapped over the years!

PITA with box in car, but, jack it up, remove all spark plugs, set front pulley on tdc, put it into gear, climb under, mark the tailshaft with a white dot, attach a pointer stick to a nearby bolt, position tip of pointer at the dot.

Hop up, ratchet socket on crank pulley, rotate It three full turns

Climb back under. Check the white dot relative to the pointer, ifs its just close, its a 2.9 first gear.

( 3 turns of the crank is close enough to 2.9)

If the dot is further away, its a 3.32 ratio first gear

Doug the two shafts method is good, make sure whatever telltale stick etc on output, doesnt move, use a dab of superglue and a bit of plastic stick, for input shaft, use an old clutch plate, mark it to a return reference point.

If you select first, rotate input 2.9/3.0 times, output will do one rev back to start, shes a 2.9!

Put some zip ties around the bit of the driveshaft I use to stop the oil coming out and the input shaft.

Can confirm 3.06 1st......turns about 10 degrees past 3 turns for one revolution of tail shaft.

Price amended

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...