Sign in to follow this  
Mr Camouflage

Locally Assembled 260Z's?

I've never heard of any S30 assembly lines outside of Japan, especially not in Australia. If they were going to make them outside of Japan then the USA or Mexico would have been the obvious choice ( No shipping delays to the USA - their biggest market).

I know they assembled bluebirds locally in the 60's and opened the Clayton Datsun factory in 1972, but I've never heard of any of the z series being built anywhere other than Japan.

Anyone know any different?

Nice "Fully Imported" 260z he has for sale though.

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12179

Not sure about the above locally assembly claims, but it seems like a steal for $5000. When you consider how much you would save buying an original car like this.

Be good if there were pics though.

there is a picture, you have to be logged in to see it though.  Looks like an old pre digital style photo that has been scanned, so car may not be exactly as pictured.

post-79-144023484103_thumb.jpg

I believe all S30 were made in just one plant in Japan. This is also the cause of the production figure issue we have with the S30 range - you see I believe at this plant there were issues over back pay during the 70's and the total number of cars produced by the plant were lost or altered by management/accountants to lower the payout to the workers. The US guys have good numbers as Nissan USA keep good records/numbers for the imported cars (I assume again this was a local management thing so they could see how well they were doing with the import/sales figures). However in our part of the world if Nissan/Datsun did keep any figures they were not kept after migrating to the computer based systems after the S30 range was well and truly sold a number of years back (ie a decade or more)